• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hawaii Cruise - Should we go?

coconutsunshine

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone!

We, myself, DH, DS12, and DS8 are booked on the Hawaii cruise from Oahu to Vancouver. With all the "extras" that seem to be still missing, is it still worth the premium? We will be going to Aulani for 9 nights regardless of if we go on the cruise or not and if we cancel the cruise we will add a few days in either the Big Island or Maui or both if we are feeling brave to ensure we see a bit more of Hawaii.

DH and I are getting nervous that it won't be the same as past cruises we have been on. We aren't ones for relaxing, we prefer being active and enjoy the parties and dance parties, character breakfasts and family programming. All those things made Disney worth the extra money over the other cruise lines, but if they aren't back, I'm not sure if it will be a magical cruise for us. My kids go to the clubs but only for an hour or 2 a day so they are mostly with us and they love to be in the pools, so I'm also concerned about the weather for the last few days -- will it be too cold to swim? Will the boat rock too much?

Last for all of you who have cruised lately, I am so afraid we could pick something up in Hawaii and be denied boarding. Trying to get home if that happens or finding a hotel last minute will probably end up being more than the price of the cruise!!!! How do you all handle that stress???

This was my dream cruise and dream vacation, but with how things are, now I'm not so sure. Tell me it will be great and I'm overthinking!!

Thanks to all of you magical people out there :) :)

Last edited:
You know yourself best...if you feel you will be worried the whole time before you board then maybe its not worth it. I have sailed twice since cruising restarted and going again next week. I can say I also miss the deck parties and there are not currently character breakfasts but they still had plenty of family activities and game shows, bingo, karaoke, trivia, etc. Who knows, maybe they will bring back the character breakfasts soon.

I am not worried about the days at sea. I actually loved our days at sea during the transatlantic and many of those were in the North Sea.

The choice is yours and sounds like you are leaning toward canceling. I am on the same cruise but I am not even thinking of canceling. I'll deal with whatever happens with testing. We are two adults going and retired so the risk is not as great as maybe yours is.

Good luck with your decision. I know it is not an easy one.

MJ

It wouldn’t be worth it to us! Love the idea of island hopping for a couple days . I want to do Kauai one day.

I kinda wished I tracked this earlier, but at the moment Disney Wonder is in the orange code. How long does it take for it to update? I'm wondering if that could be a reason to look at before you travel. Furthermore, if you do decide to go, you still have within 14 days with that cruise flexibility I think. If someone in your party has covid exposure or symptoms you can get a refund.

I kinda wished I tracked this earlier, but at the moment Disney Wonder is in the orange code. How long does it take for it to update? I'm wondering if that could be a reason to look at before you travel. Furthermore, if you do decide to go, you still have within 14 days with that cruise flexibility I think. If someone in your party has covid exposure or symptoms you can get a refund.
IMO the CDC’s color coding is a joke and just a panic maker. Research How it’s determined and it’s a joke. We are talking .3% reported over a 7 day period. That’s 1 - 5 cases over multiple sailings for most weeks and that is nothing compared to anywhere on land.

IMO the CDC’s color coding is a joke and just a panic maker. Research How it’s determined and it’s a joke. We are talking .3% reported over a 7 day period. That’s 1 - 5 cases over multiple sailings for most weeks and that is nothing compared to anywhere on land.

Orange level is .3% “or more”. The problem I have with it is they don’t tell you how much the “or more” is. I’d feel much safer on a yellow level ship because you know the cases are less than .3%. But, still sailing in a few days on the Wonder regardless. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There aren't currently deck parties or much in the way of character experiences besides distanced character photos. I sailed two weeks ago, and noticed that small dance parties were offered for families (maybe that one with characters) and for adults, although I did not attend. Bingo is ongoing, family game shows are ongoing, the live theatre shows are ongoing, etc.

Only you can decide if it's worth it, but the cruises currently have a lot of activities available.

Last edited:
Honestly? It sounds like you've kind of made up your mind that unless it's exactly like you are used to you're not going to like it. You'll be constantly thinking about what "used to be" rather than what is and miss some magic that could happen enjoying things as they are. So in that case, I'd probably reschedule to another cruise (since you're within the cancellation penalty range).

I personally would island hop. After 3 tries to go on Italy/Greece (my dream cruise), I have resigned myself to the fact, that for me personally, the way things are, I am not ready to go back. Anxious, but not ready.

Hi everyone!

We, myself, DH, DS12, and DS8 are booked on the Hawaii cruise from Oahu to Vancouver. With all the "extras" that seem to be still missing, is it still worth the premium? We will be going to Aulani for 9 nights regardless of if we go on the cruise or not and if we cancel the cruise we will add a few days in either the Big Island or Maui or both if we are feeling brave to ensure we see a bit more of Hawaii.

DH and I are getting nervous that it won't be the same as past cruises we have been on. We aren't ones for relaxing, we prefer being active and enjoy the parties and dance parties, character breakfasts and family programming. All those things made Disney worth the extra money over the other cruise lines, but if they aren't back, I'm not sure if it will be a magical cruise for us. My kids go to the clubs but only for an hour or 2 a day so they are mostly with us and they love to be in the pools, so I'm also concerned about the weather for the last few days -- will it be too cold to swim? Will the boat rock too much?

Last for all of you who have cruised lately, I am so afraid we could pick something up in Hawaii and be denied boarding. Trying to get home if that happens or finding a hotel last minute will probably end up being more than the price of the cruise!!!! How do you all handle that stress???

This was my dream cruise and dream vacation, but with how things are, now I'm not so sure. Tell me it will be great and I'm overthinking!!

Thanks to all of you magical people out there :) :)
Everyone has to make the decision that makes the most sense for them. That being said, I'm going.

I agree with this. And its only reported cases, what about the people walking around that aren't going to get tested onboard when they wake up with that sore throat, not feeling 100%, slight cough, stuffy nose etc. While yes they are suppose to but we all know many won't in fear of being quarantined in possibly a room worst then they booked for what precovid no one would ever have though much about.

Plus really anywhere you go that is super crowded you run the risk of being near someone infected. Port testing may catch a few cases, but in truth you don't know how many that are hours a day away from testing positive.

We cancelled our Vancouver to Hawaii cruise and are spending a few days in Kauai and then a week on the big island that we had already planned for after the cruise. Our cancellation had nothing to do with what was or was not offered on the ship, but Canada's Covid requirements.

I'm going from Vancouver to Oahu, and traveling with my 2yo son, getting all the testing requirements down for him to get into Canada and on the cruise is super stressful but you'll forget about it once you are on the boat

I'm going from Vancouver to Oahu, and traveling with my 2yo son, getting all the testing requirements down for him to get into Canada and on the cruise is super stressful but you'll forget about it once you are on the boat
If I was doing the cruise first, I would 100 percent be going, but flying all that way and then not getting on would be crushing both emotionally and financially!!!

My wife and I were on the same cruise and canceled. We canceled for the same issues that you have raised. In addition, It is extremely stressful waiting for your test results to come back when you’re standing there in front of the ship. It’s one thing to do it in Port Canaveral and quite another in Hawaii. Just not worth the premium Price for a partial experience. As with all of these decisions, you just have to follow your instincts.

My wife and I were on the same cruise and canceled. We canceled for the same issues that you have raised. In addition, It is extremely stressful waiting for your test results to come back when you’re standing there in front of the ship. It’s one thing to do it in Port Canaveral and quite another in Hawaii. Just not worth the premium Price for a partial experience. As with all of these decisions, you just have to follow your instincts.

I would back you on making it a land vacation. I love Hawaii. And each island has a different vibe. Even Aulani v. Waikiki is different.

My take, painted with broad strokes of generality: I call Maui ”the Hawaiian island for Americans.” The Tourists are mainlanders, with activities, food,and lodging appealing to us. Oahu (Waikiki) is the destination for honeymooners from Japan and Korea. Kauai is a beautiful garden with a Grand Canyon and beautiful coastline. The Big Island has geological variety and a small town feeling. And Aulani is for Disney lovers with an overlay of Hawaianna. I have visited all of this (and Lanai).

If I had 15 days to dedicate to a Hawaiian vacation, I would not waste time with days at sea on a cruise.

I have been on the long cruises - TAs, PC, 11-night Med. And long is the best description for all but the Med (that one was port intensive). They are often described as “relaxing” (read ”dull” for many). This is the one cruise I have never been tempted to take. Now, Alaska, on the other hand, calls me over and over. The 49th and 50th states were such nice additions.☺️

I would back you on making it a land vacation. I love Hawaii. And each island has a different vibe. Even Aulani v. Waikiki is different.

My take, painted with broad strokes of generality: I call Maui ”the Hawaiian island for Americans.” The Tourists are mainlanders, with activities, food,and lodging appealing to us. Oahu (Waikiki) is the destination for honeymooners from Japan and Korea. Kauai is a beautiful garden with a Grand Canyon and beautiful coastline. The Big Island has geological variety and a small town feeling. And Aulani is for Disney lovers with an overlay of Hawaianna. I have visited all of this (and Lanai).

If I had 15 days to dedicate to a Hawaiian vacation, I would not waste time with days at sea on a cruise.

I have been on the long cruises - TAs, PC, 11-night Med. And long is the best description for all but the Med (that one was port intensive). They are often described as “relaxing” (read ”dull” for many). This is the one cruise I have never been tempted to take. Now, Alaska, on the other hand, calls me over and over. The 49th and 50th states were such nice additions.☺️
Thank you, final payment is tomorrow, still trying to decide, I'm terrible. We would only have two days in Maui and two days in the Big Island, would that be doable. We understand we wouldn't see it all but we wanted a taste of all the islands, hence why we booked the cruise, but with so many unknowns the cruise started to sound stressful. I can't relax, AT ALL, I have to be constantly doing something, so I was worried about that many sea days. I could entertain myself with the pool deck but my worry is it might be chilly heading towards Vancouver.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter