Hello California Folk, question about LA

Microcell

DIS Veteran
Will it be warm enough to swim in the Ocean in late March?

I consider over 80 degrees warm enough to swim, if the Pacific is warm.

The pacific is not warm, I wouldn't swim in it in the summer (alhthough I might get my feet wet) but not in March.

Burrrrrr! Low 60's in both water and air temp. You could always rent a wetsuit. A certain Seinfeld episode comes to mind.

Microcell said:

NO :scared1: Believe me, so. cal does get its cold weather. In March its rainy and cold. In may, maybe. March, definitely not.

Here's one more no ! It is pretty to look at though.

You are right about the TV thing. I thought for sure we were heading to warmer weather in March. Heck, it is 60's in Kansas City in March!

Pondering spending the extra 600 on airfare to Hawaii, unless it is cold there too!

Wherever you go the Pacific will always be colder, of course Hawaii would be warmer.

I hate cold water, and would really only swim in august/September!

Microcell said:
Pondering spending the extra 600 on airfare to Hawaii, unless it is cold there too!

Nope, not cold in Hawaii in March! I was there in late March this year, and it was 85-88 most days, though we had one day where it rained ALL day that it was about 76. We were on the Big Island, and if you're at the higher elevations there (Volcanoes National Park or the Saddle Road) it can be quite a bit cooler, like in the 60s.

It CAN be in the 80s in southern California in March, but I wouldn't count on it.

The weather is usually warm enough to swim here all year long. It really depends on what you consider cold...I personally don't go swimming when the temp hits about 75, but see tourists in the water all the time. So come if you want to be able to swim in the ocean, but just remember...there's no Disneyland here!

The Pacific gets a current from AK, so the waters always colder than the Atlantic. We were there in June & I froze my behind off in the water - it was in the high 70's-low 80's. So no.....it really never warm enough to swim, but to wade or splash in might be doable. Especially since you're used to colder conditions.
I need it to be 100 degrees before I swim, so I'm a bad one for advice. ;)

It is the water temp (not the air temp) that you have to worry about. And in March it is in the 60's - and that is cold!

Personally, I think the water is too cold, but I have seen people in the ocean in February, so it can be done.

At the very least, if the weather is warm, you might want to have a picnic on the beach & splash in the water. Also, walks along the beach, barefoot, with the water lapping at your legs is very enjoyable. :)

Microcell said:

Yes the water is cold in March, but don't let that discourage you from going to the beach. If you have never been...GO!!! Do you have kids? Then go to Huntington Beach, :beach: claim a firepit and have a s'more roast. Walk the Pier, people watch on the strand, or join in on a volleyball game. Watch all of the surfers, who will have WETSUITS on. The weather will more than likely be nice, (nice enough to sun bathe), :sunny: but if not then just get out your sweatshirt and enjoy the ocean. For your information, lots and lots of people swim in ocean in Southern California in the summer. No, it is not as warm as Florida or Hawaii, but totally fine. When you get above Santa Barbara, then the currents change and then the water is pretty nippy, even for my taste. Have fun. :tinker:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter