• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

HELP!!! BWV, WLV, or AKV

VandyFan10

GoDoReS!!!!
Oh, how I hate (and love) choices!!! :rotfl:

Would like anyone's opinions, tips, information...anything you would like to give!

We have the choice of staying at:
  • AKV - Savanna view
  • BWV - Standard View
  • VWL

What would you choose and why?? GO!!!! :thumbsup2

And TIA!! :worship:

We have stayed at all three and had a wonderful time. My first choice would be to stay where you've never stayed. We have stayed at all of the DVCs on property except BLT and are so glad we did. We truly have enjoyed all of the resorts and will stay at all again.

If you haven't stayed at any of them...
1) My first choice would be VWL. It's a gorgeous resort with a great pool. We enjoy eating at Whispering Canyon, and the resort feels really cozy. It's a short bus/boat ride to Magic Kingdom, which makes traveling very convenient if you don't have a car and use Disney's transportation. The main lobby still takes my breath away!
2) BWV would be my second choice due to location, things to do to and proximity to HS and Epcot. It is fun staying around the Boardwalk. If you like being in the center of it all, this is a fun place to stay. I was worried about it being noisy, but our room was super quiet. My kids also enjoyed the pool.
3) Though my last choice, AKV is a lovely resort and has great views. Last time we were there, it seemed to have the best bus service of all the resorts. I also really enjoyed talking with the people who worked there. I spoke with a gentleman who had come to the US from Africa and had been in the US for about a year and a half. To hear about the culture, the artifacts in the resort and his knowledge of the animals in their natural habitat was amazing! Also, if you have little ones, AKV has a zero entry pool.

Thank you SO much for your thoughts! I have been to Disney many times and stayed at several of the resorts, but not BW or AKV.

We have stayed at all three and had a wonderful time. My first choice would be to stay where you've never stayed. We have stayed at all of the DVCs on property except BLT and are so glad we did. We truly have enjoyed all of the resorts and will stay at all again.

If you haven't stayed at any of them...
1) My first choice would be VWL. It's a gorgeous resort with a great pool. We enjoy eating at Whispering Canyon, and the resort feels really cozy. It's a short bus/boat ride to Magic Kingdom, which makes traveling very convenient if you don't have a car and use Disney's transportation. The main lobby still takes my breath away!

I have stayed at the Wilderness Lodge with a courtyard view. It is gorgeous and in a wonderful spot! And yes the lobby itself is a reason to go there :)

2) BWV would be my second choice due to location, things to do to and proximity to HS and Epcot. It is fun staying around the Boardwalk. If you like being in the center of it all, this is a fun place to stay. I was worried about it being noisy, but our room was super quiet. My kids also enjoyed the pool.

I LOVE being in the 'center of it all' but my husband is the opposite. I think that might be my hard part of the decision. :rolleyes1 But very glad to know your kids enjoyed the pool there!

We also can waitlist for Beach Club. And I think would have a very good chance of getting it. We are only missing one day in the reservation! I think that resort has always been one of the top on my list!

3) Though my last choice, AKV is a lovely resort and has great views. Last time we were there, it seemed to have the best bus service of all the resorts. I also really enjoyed talking with the people who worked there. I spoke with a gentleman who had come to the US from Africa and had been in the US for about a year and a half. To hear about the culture, the artifacts in the resort and his knowledge of the animals in their natural habitat was amazing! Also, if you have little ones, AKV has a zero entry pool.

AK is the most intriguing to me, I think the thought of having a savanna room is unbeatable, but I feel like it is SO FAR AWAY from everything!! So I'm VERY glad to hear your thoughts on the buses. We will be at Kidani & I have heard the splash pad is great too!

THANK YOU for your thoughts!!

DW and I have stayed at all the east coast resorts.
A lot depends on what we are doing that particular stay:
Resort only stay - AKL; BCV; OKW
Parks - BCV; BWV; VWL
Shopping/Going to other than WDW Parks/Last Minute Trip - AKL; OKW; SSR
Touring/Beach/Doing Something Different - VB; HH
If you stay with DVC long enough you too will get to everything they have to offer. Each resort is different but still home. You will find those that best suit your style.

I love BWV they are my favorite of them all. I love walking over to Epct at night and its so beautiful. That would be my first choice :)

Since you have two small kids I would recommend VWL. MK will be their park of choice, and proximity will matter. You can take a boat to MK, come back midday to put the kids down for a nap, or go to the quiet pool, then go back to the parks later if you want. Whispering Canyon is a great restaurant for kids, as well as you have the Roaring Fork for quick meals. There is a Cub's Den if you need babysitting, and the Territory Lounge is a nice bar to spend a few adult hours.

And yes, the lobby is gorgeous. AKV lobby is gorgeous too, but I wouldn't want the long bus rides all the time to get anywhere. VWL offers peace and quiet, but close to MK.

If you have never stayed at AKL- I would stay there. The savannah view is hard to beat. Kids love it. The Jambo House lobby is the only lobby that has ever taken my breath away. Your hubby will feel far away. But I think the bus service was great. Yes, there are no parks that you can walk into but, unlike BWV, you don't have to share with multiple other resorts. I think the bus service at AKV is the best of all the resorts I've stayed at.

I went with Kidani for a quick visit this past Spring. It was so last minute that my only choices were Kidani Savannah view, OKW or SSR. I have two LITTLE ones (3 and 1) so I was worried about the distance but knew the kids would be crazy about the animals.

BUT....pool was amazing. Food was amazing. ROOM AND VIEW were AMAZING! Feeling of being close to all the parks and yet so far away from it all was AMAZING. And bus service was AMAZING. It was the only time - ever - that DD and I have actually made it in time for the 9am park opening and train show.

I liked it so much, I'm currently in ROFR. Don't care if I ever stay anywhere else again! (But love BW and VWL too so I'm sure I will stay there....hahaha!).

My vote - AKL. Enjoy the view, nothing like it! And don't forget to plan some down time at the hotel. We did a whole day and DD went to the flamingo class, swimming, cookie decorating, and then capped it off by participating in the parade the kids do with drums around the lobby. So fun!!!

1st off...If you already stayed there at VWL then I would suggest 1 of the other two.

Just an FYI. The same architect that designed VWl also had his hand in AKL, and you'll see some similarities if you go there.

Now to describe the 2

Well 1stly, they definitely are both opposites in every way shape or form....

Don't get me wrong both are AMAZING, but different....I'm thinking you'll want BWV & your DH will want AKV.

BWV is all about Location, and constantly something happening all around... While AKV is all about relaxing and peace n serenity...Don't get me wrong , it's not like there's nothing to do there but, you will not feel the hustle n bustle once being Transported to this PARADISE.

Walking or boating to Epcot, & HS is a huge plus, but the bus ride to MK is very long, due to the many stops...Waay shorter in distance to MK then AKV but it takes longer. Honestly the bus rides were scaring us when we did book AKV's but once we arrived that completely went away...

Also you didn't mention what time of year , that you were looking to go.. This may play into your decision:confused3

Oh, how I hate (and love) choices!!! :rotfl:

Would like anyone's opinions, tips, information...anything you would like to give!

We have the choice of staying at:
  • AKV - Savanna view
  • BWV - Standard View
  • VWL

What would you choose and why?? GO!!!! :thumbsup2

And TIA!! :worship:
Ooohhh...neat thread. I'd pick BWV, though we haven't stayed at AKV yet. We just love being able to walk to Epcot (it is our fave park). There is tons of dining choices around the BW area (we are all about dining at WDW). And if you can get standard view, that is a really great value points-wise.

bwv standard is hard to get.

that say if you love the castle - then VWL (really blt) - but VWL is close - you can boat over to BLT from WL

Another very biased vote for Wilderness Lodge. IMHO, you just can't beat the theme, location and transportation. You're only a short boat ride away from MK or Contemporary (thus Monorail access), and I find the boat ride very peaceful. Plenty of good dining options (a great QS location in Roaring Fork, Whispering Canyon is a hoot and has great food, all the way up to the WDW exclusive Artist Point). The pool is fantastic, sitting on the beach and watching the water pageant at night is so relaxing, renting a bike and venturing into FW can be a great little adventure. You can also wake up early and get a tour of the lodge and potentially become a flag family for the day. Plenty of good options for relaxing, exploring, eating/drinking, or for park access. WL feels "off the beaten path", but in reality, is just a stone's throw away from MK and all of the monorail resorts, which I love to explore.

If your focus is going to be EPCOT or HS, I would have to really consider Boardwalk for the proximity. Another beautiful resort, but it just doesn't speak to me like WL does. In contrast to WL, this is a very lively resort with plenty of activity, great for people watching, TONS of food options nearby (Shula's Steakhouse, Yachtman's Steakhouse, anywhere in World Showcase is a short walk away, etc.). Park access to EPCOT and HS just can't be beat.

AKL is beautiful as well, but my only problem here is the location. You are definitely a little more isolated here, and for some folks, that is half the appeal. The only transportation option is by bus, which can be hit or miss. Dining options are fantastic! Seeing animals from your balcony is really a unique opportunity, but for me, it doesn't really do a whole lot (that's why I go to Kilamajaro Safari).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter