Help, cancel because of the fire?

todzwife

<font color=darkorchid>There's nothing worse than
We drove 9 hours today only to find out about the fire as we got into town. We were going to surprise the kids Wednesday and Thursday. I haven’t purchased tickets yet, I was going to get them tomorrow night. Our other option is Universal Studios, we’ll go get season passes at Costco tomorrow.

Anyone who lives here, what are the chances things will clear up by Wednesday? Back home the forest fires can burn for weeks, but this is all populated areas...

Any advice?

Wondering the same thing. We are supposed to fly in Wednesday morning. I have to decide tonight whether I should cancel everything (hotel/airfare) and eat the cost of our already purchased 4 day park hopper tickets and Halloween party tickets over this :(

Wondering the same thing. We are supposed to fly in Wednesday morning. I have to decide tonight whether I should cancel everything (hotel/airfare) and eat the cost of our already purchased 4 day park hopper tickets and Halloween party tickets over this :(

Oh man I’m so sorry. We’re lucky we don’t have a lot of money into this trip yet, just gas and hotels but we can cancel the hotels if needs be...

Is he fire affecting the park or any attractions?

I was there earlier, but left a few hours. Everything was open, no sign of shutting anything down. But better cover your dole whip, there was ash landing on food etc. i only left early because I was worried about freeway closires getting back home.

We leave early Wednesday for a five day trip and we aren't cancelling. I'm choosing to stay optimistic and we'll just work our plans around the air conditions. We were in Seattle during poor air conditions from wildfires in August too and adjusted for that as well. If it means more indoor shows and rides and more time at the hotel, then we will still find a way to have a great time! This is not a trip we could easily reschedule so any Disney is better than none for us :)

We leave early Wednesday for a five day trip and we aren't cancelling. I'm choosing to stay optimistic and we'll just work our plans around the air conditions. We were in Seattle during poor air conditions from wildfires in August too and adjusted for that as well. If it means more indoor shows and rides and more time at the hotel, then we will still find a way to have a great time! This is not a trip we could easily reschedule so any Disney is better than none for us :)
Thank you for your positivity. As we leave Wednesday as well, I was panicking about having basically 24 hours to make a decision. The air quality for my 8 and 2 year old are my biggest concern. I live in the middle of very wet, mid-michigan and have never experienced the effects of a forest fire, so I'm not sure what to expect. As you said, though, there's indoor activities, and we too, could not reschedule.

Hmm, so you can cancel the hotel and airfare scot free so to speak and only lose the tickets & party tickets? FWIW you won't lose the park hopper tickets because they retain at least the value you paid for them even after their expiration. Honestly idk what to advise but here are a couple thoughts:
-If you don't have another trip easily arranged in which you would use the park tickets I'd keep to the current plan since parks are operating normally.
-If you can easily schedule another trip for Xmas season or summer or whatever I'd give good consideration to going that route
-If anyone in your group has breathing sensitivities or asthma definitely cancel, it's not worth the risk they'll be miserable & stuck in a hotel for any part of the trip (if this is why you cancel call Disneyland and ask about getting the party tickets refunded explaining the situation, long shot but still worth a shot)

I'm also leaving Wednesday morning...I really don't want to cancel so I'm just going to cross my fingers and hope for the best. Bring a mask y'all!

Thank you for your positivity. As we leave Wednesday as well, I was panicking about having basically 24 hours to make a decision. The air quality for my 8 and 2 year old are my biggest concern. I live in the middle of very wet, mid-michigan and have never experienced the effects of a forest fire, so I'm not sure what to expect. As you said, though, there's indoor activities, and we too, could not reschedule.

As a southern california native its pretty much an annual drill here. Luckily i've only had to actually evacuate a couple times. My recommendation is to bring your own breathing masks. Home Depot and Lowes will probably be out soon anywhere near Anaheim hills etc. they usually run out pretty quick most fires. The cheap ones are better than nothing but the ones for paint that are a little more money and have charcoal/carbon help more with the smell and breathing. Breathe in through your nose, out through your mputh. Eye drops too, keep your eyes moist, and will help you sleep after a day out in the smoke. I like Tears Naturale or GenTeal tears, but if you have a favorite bring those. And keep hydrated with water obviously.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-P95-Paint-Odor-Valved-Respirator-Mask-2-Pack-8577PA1-A/202077804

Last edited:
Hmm, so you can cancel the hotel and airfare scot free so to speak and only lose the tickets & party tickets? FWIW you won't lose the park hopper tickets because they retain at least the value you paid for them even after their expiration. Honestly idk what to advise but here are a couple thoughts:
-If you don't have another trip easily arranged in which you would use the park tickets I'd keep to the current plan since parks are operating normally.
-If you can easily schedule another trip for Xmas season or summer or whatever I'd give good consideration to going that route
-If anyone in your group has breathing sensitivities or asthma definitely cancel, it's not worth the risk they'll be miserable & stuck in a hotel for any part of the trip (if this is why you cancel call Disneyland and ask about getting the party tickets refunded explaining the situation, long shot but still worth a shot)

Thanks for your insight. We'd lose about $200 in the hotel cancellation. And we couldn't cancel our flights, but rather, we flew southwest and could apply the fares towards another trip in the future. We would not be able to reschedule a trip for this year if we don't go. I guess all I can do at this point is re-evaluate tomorrow evening and in the mean time, hope that I wake up to good news tomorrow.

Thanks for your insight. We'd lose about $200 in the hotel cancellation. And we couldn't cancel our flights, but rather, we flew southwest and could apply the fares towards another trip in the future. We would not be able to reschedule a trip for this year if we don't go. I guess all I can do at this point is re-evaluate tomorrow evening and in the mean time, hope that I wake up to good news tomorrow.

We’re saying prayers they’ll get some containment tonight. Not just for our vacation but for the people that are evacuated.

Absolutely. Every time I get down over the fact that our vacation gets compromised, I remind myself that there are far far worse things happening for the people that live there.

This was us last month when we were getting excited for our then upcoming WDW trip then watching Irma's path updates,etc.

You're welcome! I grew up in the pacific NW and now live in Alaska so wildfire conditions are something I'm familiar with - but not quite this severe! I'll probably use the suggestion of getting masks up here before we go that was mentioned in another reply - it can't hurt! My kiddos are young too and while we don't have allergy or asthma problems - it's still not great conditions for the little ones! I'll be praying for it to clear up and shift away and that they can get it contained quickly for all those effected!

FWIW, my two asthmatics and myself have done fine today. A few coughing spells but nothing big. The sky looks better tonight than it did this afternoon. The only thing that was cancelled because of it today was fireworks and shows like the princesses and magical map.

I think if you take the precaustions suggested above (e.g. breathing masks, eye drops, etc.) and stay aware of your pacing and stamina, then you should be fine. We chose not to go to the parks tonight because we knew that swing dancing in these conditions would be bad for my health (and not so great for DH, either). If it were just a matter of riding rides, that might have been different. But dancing? For that, I need to breathe!

FWIW we're in Boise and get a lot of wildfires plus smoke from more distant fires that gets trapped in the valley. It's pretty gross to breathe in if you stop and think about it but physically for us it's mostly a matter of everything feeling super dry/irritated - throat, eyes, etc. I probably would not reschedule over it at this point. I wouldn't go running, but walking around with little exertion would probably be ok.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter