Help for a novice camper?

jayhjay

DIS Veteran
Our family just took our first camping trip last weekend and we had a great time. We just took a quick overnight to Cunningham Falls (MD) where we did a little hiking, visited a nearby zoo, and climbed the falls.

I actually think we managed pretty well considering we had no idea what we were doing! But from wandering around the campgrounds and seeing how the more experienced campers were doing things, we realized we had a lot of questions. Since our fellow DISers are so knowledgeable about everything else, I was hoping some people here might be able to help us out with a few of our camping questions. Would anyone mind steering us in the right direction?

1) Fire - ok, we got it started but couldn't keep it going. I am pretty sure that we were not using enough wood or large enough logs. We started with just charcoal for grilling dinner, but when we moved to wood, the fire would catch and then just die within a few minutes. We didn't have any big logs, just small branches. Do we need bigger logs? A starter log like for fireplaces? Or is there something else we should be doing?

2) We did quick and dirty meals since we were only eat breakfast and dinner. But waking up to cold bagels on a chilly morning while everyone else had a fire going for hot breakfast clued us in there was definitely better choices! Can anyone give us breakfast suggestions? We didn't have a grill this time (just the one over the fire pit) but we will probably buy one of those portable grills with a flat grill pan if we can find one.

3) Dishes - we used paper for our two meals. But it seems like for a longer period maybe we'd be better off using real plates and washing them? But how do you wash your dishes? Our campgrounds didn't allow dishwashing in the sinks so presumably you'd use the pumps? Our neighbors seemed to have a big tub filled with soapy water they were using. Is that how it is normally done?

4) Sleeping pads - We put down some blankets at the bottom of the tent under our sleeping bags, but we definitely need more padding next time (at least DH and my creaky bones do, kids seemed to do fine). Should I just get some of those inflatable mats that go under each person's sleeping bag? Is there a "best kind" to get? Or something else better?

Sorry for so many questions, we just don't have anyone else to ask. We really enjoyed camping and hope to go again next summer for longer. We appreciate any tips you guys have! Thanks everyone! JJ

Yes, we are car camping. I can't even imagine trying to backpack - we looked like we were moving for a month with all our stuff! LOL

Yes, we are car camping. I can't even imagine trying to backpack - we looked like we were moving for a month with all our stuff! LOL

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Yeah, I know what you mean!

I'd get a cheap propane grill too - you can get them for $20-$30 almost anywhere and while you're at it a cheap propane lantern - 1 mantel is fine.

I prefer propane because it's very convenient and I had a gas lantern explode once!

Our family just took our first camping trip last weekend and we had a great time. We just took a quick overnight to Cunningham Falls (MD) where we did a little hiking, visited a nearby zoo, and climbed the falls.

I actually think we managed pretty well considering we had no idea what we were doing! But from wandering around the campgrounds and seeing how the more experienced campers were doing things, we realized we had a lot of questions. Since our fellow DISers are so knowledgeable about everything else, I was hoping some people here might be able to help us out with a few of our camping questions. Would anyone mind steering us in the right direction?

Answer: keep it simple, minimize work/cleanup, less stressful.

1) Fire - ok, we got it started but couldn't keep it going. I am pretty sure that we were not using enough wood or large enough logs. We started with just charcoal for grilling dinner, but when we moved to wood, the fire would catch and then just die within a few minutes. We didn't have any big logs, just small branches. Do we need bigger logs? A starter log like for fireplaces? Or is there something else we should be doing?

Answer: start with newspaper underneath small twigs or whittling shavings (known as "tinder") then to bigger sticks (finger-sized diameter known as "kindling") to small branches/logs up to, say, forearm sized. Start with the paper/twigs and work your way up. Make sure all wood is dry. Fan it or blow on it to get it going. Trial-and-error.

2) We did quick and dirty meals since we were only eat breakfast and dinner. But waking up to cold bagels on a chilly morning while everyone else had a fire going for hot breakfast clued us in there was definitely better choices! Can anyone give us breakfast suggestions? We didn't have a grill this time (just the one over the fire pit) but we will probably buy one of those portable grills with a flat grill pan if we can find one.

Answer: I'd suggest a single propane burner stove (low-and-flat/wide not tall-and-tipsy) that uses the disposable one pound cannisters. Boil water for some hot oatmeal and cocoa/coffe. Squeeze margine on one side of bread in a pan one or two at a time fried on the butter side makes great toast. Warm up some precooked bacon in a skillet is yummy. Or upgrade to a 2-burner propane stove.

3) Dishes - we used paper for our two meals. But it seems like for a longer period maybe we'd be better off using real plates and washing them? But how do you wash your dishes? Our campgrounds didn't allow dishwashing in the sinks so presumably you'd use the pumps? Our neighbors seemed to have a big tub filled with soapy water they were using. Is that how it is normally done?

Answer: I'd still recommend paper/plastic. Less work and you don't have to worry about gray water dumping. Also a cannister of moist cleanser wipes will take care of the utensils until you get home.

4) Sleeping pads - We put down some blankets at the bottom of the tent under our sleeping bags, but we definitely need more padding next time (at least DH and my creaky bones do, kids seemed to do fine). Should I just get some of those inflatable mats that go under each person's sleeping bag? Is there a "best kind" to get? Or something else better?

Answer: depends. I have gone through more air mattresses than I can count. Buy a good quality air mattress (more expensive but worth it in the long run) and use a blower to inflate it (we have a cheap one that plugs into the cigarette lighter of the van). It's slow but better than huffing and puffing. Maybe a good mattress for you and spouse; okay one for kids.

Sorry for so many questions, we just don't have anyone else to ask. We really enjoyed camping and hope to go again next summer for longer. We appreciate any tips you guys have! Thanks everyone! JJ

Others can likely provide advice. As a DH I would advise starting out slow and easy and build on victories. I mean go on weekends with good weather, stay close to home, make it fun, then build on that. We tent camped before our popup when the kids were small so just have fun and enjoy it. :grouphug:

Bama ED

Yeah, what Ed said, but with the fire you have two other options - 5 gal of gas or one of those starter logs that everyplace seems to have.

The gas is more expensive but very impressive! :lmao:

Also a road flare will help get a fire started.

I usually rub two ticks together :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

3701.jpg

Thank you so much Bama ed for all the suggestions! Quick follow-up - when you say "air mattress" do you mean one of those blow up beds? Or are you talking about a thin pad that goes under the sleeping bag? JJ

jayhjay,

I had in mind something like this:

http://www.academy.com/index.php?pa...g/airbeds&start=0&selectedSKU=0258-00660-2004

Not quite an airbed but not a little swimming pool air mattress either. Something rather more "substantial" to keep your bottoms off the ground. I've woken up plenty of times with my keister on the cold terra firm with a leaky mattress. The cold ground will suck the heat right out of your body if contact is made.

I've used sleeping pads when backpacking and camping. I have hundreds of nights camping outdoors thanks to the Boy Scouts. The foam pads provide a thermal barrier and a minimum amount of padding. But for car camping (like in a state park) go with the air mattress.

Hey, even better, for those cold nights, I bought electric mattress warmers (like an electric blanket but you lie on top of it) for my popup camper bunks which in a state park (which has electricity readily available) means you can extend your camping season another month or two because those cold nights won't be a problem any more. I just turn that puppy on about 30 minutes before bedtime and then crawl toasty warm under the covers and stay so all night long! That or an electric blanket would be a great idea too for car camping (although now you need to bring the extension cord) :woohoo:

Bama ED

you guys are the best! Thanks for all the feedback and I welcome any other advice you may have. JJ

Or are you talking about a thin pad that goes under the sleeping bag? JJ

Those padsare thermal barrier they don't offer alot of padding. The ones Ed talked about are good. Meke sure you get a high volume ppump too - those things take a lot of effort to inflate!

Welcome to camping!!!!

When dealing with the fire think DRY. Dead leaves will work in a pinch, also newspaper and even dryer lint works well as a fire starter. Once you get it going, you are not done. keep poking and blowing and stoking and adding more wood, putting on more substantial pieces once the fire is established.

Lol! You can be a world class chef while camping if you want to be! Cooking over an open fire can be a lot of fun. It can be as simple as hotdogs and marshmallows or you can do almost anything in a Dutch oven. I would also recommend a propane stove. They are wonderful for boiling water or scrambling eggs, etc... I believe there is a sticky on the regular camping board with recipes.

3) Dishes - we used paper for our two meals. But it seems like for a longer period maybe we'd be better off using real plates and washing them? But how do you wash your dishes? Our campgrounds didn't allow dish-washing in the sinks so presumably you'd use the pumps? Our neighbors seemed to have a big tub filled with soapy water they were using. Is that how it is normally done?

No doubt, paper is easier. We usually use regular though, just to cut down on trash. We have a good sized bin that we use to wash dishes. Each person is responsible for washing their own which cuts down on wash time.

Air mattresses or Thermarests (or similar) are fine, especially for the kids. I prefer something that is going to get me off the ground and keep me off the ground. I really like a cot and then I put a sleeping pad on top of it (I have "womanly" hips and I can't stand the hard ground anymore!!! :lmao: )

Have fun! camping is such a great family bonding experience and a chance to get back to nature. It is work, and you will feel like you're bringing so much...but there is something so therapeutuc about roughing it!

Have fun! camping is such a great family bonding experience and a chance to get back to nature. It is work, and you will feel like you're bringing so much...but there is something so therapeutuc about roughing it!

Thank you so much for all your tips! I will check out the main camping board as well. Thanks for the suggestion. JJ

Man, I missed this thread altogether. Almost missed out on hearing about Ami's "womanly" parts. :rotfl:

I'll stop before I ask, If the hips are womanly, what parts are manly? :confused3

Man, I missed this thread altogether. Almost missed out on hearing about Ami's "womanly" parts. :rotfl:

I'll stop before I ask, If the hips are womanly, what parts are manly? :confused3

Oh you're so funny! I am all woman, baby!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter