Help - I'm DVC ignorant!

Winkster

Earning My Ears
Can anyone help me with a few snippets of info about the DVC.

As a Brit, I'd always thought that the DVC was only really a good bet for Americans as we'd have all of the travel costs, flights, car hire, theme park tickets etc to pay on top of that.

Having said that, we've been to WDW for the last 4 years staying for between 14 and 17 nights and are now planning a 5th visit in May next year (although force of habbit may drag us back in October this year!).

I'm therefore wondering whether the DVC would save us much money.

Assuming we stay at OKW in May for 14 nights every year, I have calculated that we would need 196 points per year. According to the wdwinfo website, the cost is $101 per point giving a total cost of $19,796 - approx £10,400 assuming an exchange rate of $1.9 to £1.

Am I reading it right?

If so, does this buy me the option (if I chose to) to stay at OKW for a set period (the website mentions 45 years but I'm not sure if this is just an example). Also, what's this 15 year extension all about at OKW?

Sorry to be thick, I've read it several times but am not sure if I understand it even now!

How does everyone find the DVC in terms of extra costs for flights, car hire etc too? Is it worth it?

Thanks for reading - and sorry for rambling on.

Confused of Banbury!:confused:

You can get most of the info from the FAQ sticky, but here's a rough guide to the questions you asked.

You buy the points and they're yours to use every year untill the end of the contract - which I believe is 2042 for OKW, the same as our points at VWL and BCV. At the end of the contract the points belong to DVC, the 'extra 15 years' for OKW is to bring it into line with the new contracts being offered at SSR and AKLV. As far as I know DVC are charging $15 per point to extend the contract by 15 years.

Once you've bought the points they are yours to use as you want - you do pay an annual maintenance fee ('dues') which are currently just over $4 per point per year. We've got 222 points split over 2 contracts, which cost us about £10,000 and we've been paying between £500 and £550 per year for the annual dues.

In general if you go to WDW every year, or two, and stay on-site in moderate or delux accomodation then it's probably worth looking into buying into DVC. We bought the points in 2001 and wish we'd bought earlier. It does work out cheaper if you go every year or two, but we've found that we don't actually save much money as we spend more on upgraded flights. One of the best perks of DVC at the moment is the $100 off the cost of an annual pass - we go to WDW in October one year then September the next, this mean that one annual pass covers 2 trips.

Ian

The general rule of thumb if you stay on site in a deluxe it is well worth it.

We stayed for two weeks at the grand floridian and realised that DVC would be better value.

If you have young children and plan to keep going during school holidays for a while could also be expensive otherwise if you plan to go every year on site in a moderate or deluxe it is well worth considering

just my view others may have a different one

susan

If you buy from disney you may get a discount on the actual price, if like I buying into OKW you will also get the extention in the extra years.

like outhers have said, it depends on if you want to go every year or outher year.weve been going every year since 92, first ofsite then on
we started at the values then the mods
Then we looked at deluxe and saw it was way to expencive thats when we turned to dvc
we thought there was a hidden catch. but found there wasnt.
When we signed up it was £7000 (1999)for out 200 points,we worked out it would take us 6, 2 week visits to reclaim the cost
We have done that and more now we have covered our costs(room) so no it works out £500 for a 2 week stay in a deluxe each year
This year were doing 21 nights some on cash a pop(still enjoy every disney hotel) then SSR and BCV.
plus with our points have done 7 night cruise+took family with us to stay
if we hadent signed up dont think we would still be going
any regrets about buying, yes we should have done it sooner
Paulh

There are 2 ways of buying. Direct from Disney or through a resale company.

Where OKW is concerned, I think that if you buy direct from Disney, you will now get a 50 year contract. I believe the cost pp for OKW is $96 direct from Disney. Although maybe that is still for a 2042 contract. I did read a rumour that the price was to increase by $10 pp to cover the extended 15 years. I 've a feeling that March 1st was mentioned in that thread. I'll see if I can find it.

I'm not sure that the incentives that Disney offer ( discount and Developer Points) apply to any purchase other than at SSR or AKV. I've read that you have to be firm with Disney that you want to buy in to somewhere that they are not currently offering. It can be done though!

If you buy resale, the contract will still expire 2042, but cost you less. Mid $70's. I think either way, you have "closing costs" to pay.

Look at the pros and cons of buying resale. Buying direct is quicker, a bit more expensive but many like the reassurance of dealing direct with Disney.

We bought resale through a broker (all done from Scotland by phone, fax and email). We paid less per point and got the previous years points("banked points) because the owners hadn't used them. All in took about 7 weeks. Painless....apart from withdrawing the cash to send :lmao:

Please ask away! Loads of questions spring to mind and this is the best place to get answers.:thumbsup2

Lesley:flower3:

The other thing to say is that you can stay at any DVC resort with your points, not just your "home" resort. Obvious to any owner, but just thought I'd check you realised.

The only issue around staying at other resorts is that you cannot book as early. You can book your home resort 11 months in advance, but that 11 months is reduced to 7 months for other resorts.

I bought straight from Disney in December 2007 and was given a discount of $10 a point, I also insisted that I wanted to buy into OKW, which they allowed and I also got the extended years. If you want to get into DVC cheaper then as stated above you can buy from other companies. Whatever way you go best of luck.

I go along with all that has been said already. Just wish we had bought into DVC sooner. It is the one timeshare offer we found with no strings attached

Don't be put off by the thought of flights, tickets etc for "us Brits" - if we want our fix in Disney, it goes with the territory :rotfl: I think Ian (crux) has it right, spend what you save on upgraded flights. Brilliant :cool1:

The other thing to say is that you can stay at any DVC resort with your points, not just your "home" resort. Obvious to any owner, but just thought I'd check you realised.

The only issue around staying at other resorts is that you cannot book as early. You can book your home resort 11 months in advance, but that 11 months is reduced to 7 months for other resorts.

Again, from what I've read on other threads, it seems quite important now to buy where you want to stay, as people are finding it more difficult to get reservations at resorts other than their home, at the 7 month mark.#
Just another consideration!

That's all really useful stuff - thanks to everyone who posted. :thumbsup2

I've read all the blurb on the official sites but it's always better getting first hand experiences from those that have been there.

Don't spose anyone has any suggestions on how to convince my partner that £10k is a good investment? :confused3

I think we'll wait til we're next at WDW and then find someone there to talk to. Could be a very expensive holiday!!!! :scared1:

Thanks again!

That's all really useful stuff - thanks to everyone who posted. :thumbsup2

I've read all the blurb on the official sites but it's always better getting first hand experiences from those that have been there.

Don't spose anyone has any suggestions on how to convince my partner that £10k is a good investment? :confused3

I think we'll wait til we're next at WDW and then find someone there to talk to. Could be a very expensive holiday!!!! :scared1:

Thanks again!

If you do plan on going a lot price rooms you would use take that cost out.then your left with flight which you would have to pay for where you would stay.£10,000 for room would last how long?
AK you can spend £250 a night 14 nights= £3,500, so if you stayed there every year it would take you 3 years to cover your outlay, 4-5 years if dues taken into account
Your asking the converted to ask if its a good deal,heck when we signed up i begged them not to show the presentation just give me the papers to sign
i have satyed at all the dvc resorts and for places being booked up we have found that it teands to be beach club and hilton headand all resorts at major holidays
Paulh

think we'll wait til we're next at WDW and then find someone there to talk to. Could be a very expensive holiday!!!!

I'm not sure if I could have convinced my hubby DVC was a good idea from Scotland but he was really keen to sign when we were in WDW after seeing the AKV model rooms. The fact that he was able to ask every question he could think of :confused3 (honestly we were in there for hours!) helped as he was convinced it fitted us and had no hidden catches. The excellent exchange rate was also a bonus. Good luck:thumbsup2

We've no regrets and both wish we'd done it years ago.

I'm not sure if I could have convinced my hubby DVC was a good idea from Scotland but he was really keen to sign when we were in WDW after seeing the AKV model rooms. The fact that he was able to ask every question he could think of :confused3 (honestly we were in there for hours!) helped as he was convinced it fitted us and had no hidden catches. The excellent exchange rate was also a bonus. Good luck:thumbsup2

We've no regrets and both wish we'd done it years ago.

We originally took the tour (not at all hard sell) in 2000, when the model rooms were at Boardwalk and they were selling Beach Club. (I think!).
We were not able to commit at that time due due a building project we were starting.

I think thats why we were ok buying from over here. We knew the standard of quality we would get and were very familiar with the Disney resorts.
I don't think I'd buy in to A.N.OTHER company from over here. It was just cos it was Disney, we knew it would all be fine.:cloud9: :cloud9: :cloud9:

Winkster, I think if you contact Disney and register an interest, they will send you the "Dreams" hard back book, which is lovely, and the DVD which might give you a further insight.

Certainly, do the tour when you are next at WDW. I promise you that there is NO HARD SELL and I think everyone will tell you the same.
Lesley:flower3:

It's all sounding very encouraging - thanks again!

One other question that I can't seem to find much into about...

Is there anywhere I can find details of the non-Disney resorts around the world? The official DVC site has brief info on some of the locations and a few of the hotels but I was wondering how many points are needed to stay outside of Disney.

Much as I'd love to go to WDW every year, I'm sure at some point we'd feel like trying somewhere else :scared1: so it'd be good to have a few examples of how far our points could stretch elsewhere.

When you register an interest in DVC they will send you out a book that will explain all the different places you can stay other than Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter