• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Help me choose - Oasis+Universal or Magic+Universal?

gzmtlock

DIS Veteran
Our family has decided to travel this coming Christmas. DS will be a senior in college, DD a sophomore. I will be on a temporary (12-18 month) work assignment in a city closer to DH's job (yay!), but none of us have lived there before or have any connections. It will be the kids' first Christmas away from the only home they remember. So we figure, since we won't be at "home" anyway, why not travel?

We've narrowed to two possibilities, both 5-night cruises Dec 18-23 followed by 4-nights at Universal. Will be driving from NC. The only difference between the two plans is the cruise and port.

We've cruised DCL many times (I'm the most, at 8). Option 1 is a Bahamian out of Miami on the Magic, with stops in Key West (never been before), Nassau and Castaway Cay, plus a sea day. We'd book 2 inside staterooms, and hope for but not count on an upgrade. We did a DCL Christmas cruise back in 2007, and loved it. We prefer the smaller ships (and their prices) over Fantasy/Dream. So this is our "tried and true" option.

Option 2 would break new ground (or ocean LOL) for us - same dates as the Magic, but on Oasis out of PC (we've never sailed anyone but DCL). Stops at Nassau and Labadee, plus 2 sea days. I've read a little about the Oasis, enough to know I'll want to book verandah rooms. I really can't stand large indoor malls for more than about 3 hours, and photos/descriptions of how much Oasis is like a mall, and lacks deck areas, pushed me in the direction of verandah staterooms. However, all the on-board activities that are different from DCL are attractive, especially for the more active members of our family.

Cost is comparable between the two. Given our family and circumstances, what would you choose? And why?

I think your family is perfect for Royal Caribbean. Oasis is a fabulous ship with lots to do for everyone. There is plenty of deck space on deck 15 and on deck 5. The only "mall" type area would be the Royal Promenade. The Boardwalk and Central Park areas are outdoors.

Thanks for the responses. We've switched up; the front-runner is now a 6-night on Freedom out of Fort Lauderdale. Much better ports - Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Costa Maya (vs Nassau - yuck - and Castaway/Labadee on DCL/Oasis). Little bit longer drive to port, but with 4 drivers in the car, no one should get super tired. And the 6-night on Freedom is comparable in price to 5-night on Oasis. We can shift to inside staterooms (looking at promenade view) and save $$ for excursions.

Any advice? TIA!

What are your kids interested in? Are they really into Disney? Sports? Shows?

They are both active people who appreciate learning new things. Our non-theme park vacations are usually spent in our RV, traveling to somewhere with great hiking and lots of scenery. Oh, and we also like to eat and drink good food. Cooking is my hobby, and we are all used to "good eats." We also watch a lot of sports on TV when home.

We have a few traditions on our DCL cruises - a family air hockey tournament and playing cards, chess, or backgammon in the bar. If it's relatively easy, we'll extend these traditions onto RCCL. If not, we'll find new ones!

Thanks for the responses. We've switched up; the front-runner is now a 6-night on Freedom out of Fort Lauderdale. Much better ports - Grand Cayman, Cozumel, and Costa Maya (vs Nassau - yuck - and Castaway/Labadee on DCL/Oasis). Little bit longer drive to port, but with 4 drivers in the car, no one should get super tired. And the 6-night on Freedom is comparable in price to 5-night on Oasis. We can shift to inside staterooms (looking at promenade view) and save $$ for excursions.

Any advice? TIA!
I'd lean towards Freedom now that you've got that extra night. Promenade may be a little loud at times, so be prepared for that.

Booked today! Connecting promenade rooms, deck 8, forward, on Freedom. So excited!! Now, onto the land part of this sea-land vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter