Help me pick a resort (sorry another one of these)

Ldat7

Earning My Ears
We are in the early planning stages of a late 2020 trip and I'm trying to decide on a resort. Here is some info on us:
  1. Early/mid 30s couple, no kids
  2. Never been to WDW -- we are DLR vets
  3. We are both very active with no physical issues
  4. We LOVE food and cocktails, but aren't the super fancy dining type of people
  5. We are rope droppers -- at DLR we will sometimes rope drop to close, but want a more relaxed pace for WDW. We will probably take afternoon breaks and go back for the evenings
  6. Our stay will probably be about 8-9 days with a rest/non-park day day built in
  7. We are interested in visiting all parks
  8. Budget isn't a huge concern since this will be a celebration for a milestone anniversary
We are leaning toward a deluxe resort. Since I've been so spoiled by DLR and it's wonderful compactness and walkability, I am leaning toward an Epcot area resort so we can walk to HS and Epcot. The Beach Club was the resort I was eyeing, but the Boardwalk Inn seems good too. I'm just favoring Beach Club a bit more for Stormalong Bay and I've heard Boardwalk can have REALLY long hallways.

I was also thinking -- well why not do a split stay between an Epcot resort and Contemporary so we could walk to Magic Kingdom on those park days. We could use our rest day to leisurely check out of the first hotel, then head over to Contemporary (probably Uber so we can just take our bags). If our room isn't ready we could check our bags and check out the resort and/or the other Monorail resorts. Then MK days following. I'm just a bit worried about messing with the flow of the vacation. What do others think of split stays?

Another option is the new Grand Destino tower with club level added. I've always wanted to stay club level and this seems like the most affordable option. I also like how you can book a bed type (we prefer a King bed) for the moderates. I'm a bit scared by the buses, BUT I figured if they are awful we can always Uber or Minnie Van to/from the resorts. However, I may be less inclined to pop back for a break as much.

So what do you think-
  1. Beach Club
  2. BoardWalk Inn
  3. Split stay between Beach Club or Boardwalk AND Contemporary
  4. Grand Destino Tower, Club level
  5. Something else entirely!

I hate having to pack up during split stays, but that's just me. I stayed in Yacht Club (attached to Beach Club) last year and was great, same pool and dining options as Beach Club but seems a lot quieter. Rooms are newly renovated and very cozy, I liked them a lot, and you can easily walk or take a boat over to Boardwalk for nightlife. Of course we like to eat at Epcot the most so that is our resort area of choice, I have stayed at Contemporary and liked it a lot, but still found myself at Epcot more.

I always do split stays. We plan our parks based on which resort we are at. This time we are at the French quarter, POP and then Animal Kingdom lodge club level for our last 2 nights. We get up early so will check out and transfer our luggage ourselves. Our trips before, we had the resort transfer our luggage and it world out fine.
I have never stayed at the resorts you have listed. Have fun planning.

My vote is for the Polynesian. I know it's not an Epcot resort, but it's a quick walk to the TTC, then a monorail ride away. Plus, you have boat and monorail access to Magic Kingdom, the theme is beautiful and relaxing, has nice pools, nightly views of the fireworks from the beach and the electric water parade.
It has plenty of dining options, including room service and you can grab a drink from either the Tambu Lounge or Trader Sam's.
Depending on how late your trip is, if it's after Thanksgiving, the resort is decorated for Christmas and looks awesome.

My spouse and I stayed at the Boardwalk for a kid free trip and loved it (we are in our late 30s). We used the Disney buses mostly, but Uber’s when more convenient (like going from a resort to another resort). Didn’t find the hallways to be a problem. It didn’t seem like there were a ton of kids around, which was a pro for us on that trip.

I’d look at Wilderness Lodge too, if doing a split stay. I love the theming there, and the bar they have on the water is a very zen place to relax with an appetizer and drink. Happy planning!

Edit to add-the Contemporary is really sterile feeling, with all the other great Deluxe options, Contemporary would be pretty far down my list.

I vote for Yacht Club if your first priority is closeness to two parks or Polynesian/Yacht split.

Yacht is beautiful, and the Poly has amazing views, food, and drink.

Hi,

You say you like cocktails. The best place for cocktails is the Poly, hands down. Do a search on Tambu lounge and Trader Sams outdoor, not the indoor. Get yourself a table to watch the fireworks and have a few cocktails, then walk back to your room in the Niue longhouse. Breakfast at Kona Cafe and then a monorail to Magic Kingdom. The Boardwalk is quite nice. If you would be up to a split stay, I would say the Boardwalk and the Poly. The Poly has so much more to offer than the Contemporary. We own at the Boardwalk, Poly, and Bay Lake. My favorites are Poly, Boardwalk and BLT and my wife's are Boardwalk, Poly, and BLT.

We go to WDW quite often and love to go to DLR. I think that you will find that WDW can be overwhelming compared to DLR. What we love most about DLR is being able to walk to both parks then back to the Grand Californian then walk over to Disney Springs for Dinner or maybe Steakhouse 55 then back to the parks. WDW is not like that, it's wait for a bus then wait for another bus, then another and another. The Poly and the Boardwalk allow you to skip some of those buses.

Hi there! We are former DLR APs (15+ years) and current WDW APs who have relocated to Michigan and made nearly yearly WDW trips since 1999. As much as we love DLR, we love WDW even more...so I think you are in for a wonderful trip!

I love your idea of the split stay -- it's what we do too because we like being able to have quick and easy transportation (preferably walking) to the parks. I think CR is a wonderful idea for the MK area, and for the EP resort may I suggest a Garden Cottage at the BWI? If you search my posts, you will find photos and reviews of these somewhat hidden gem rooms...they are PERFECT for an anniversary trip, and can often be found at great discounts off the rack rate (we've booked at both 35% and 40% off). BWI's wonderful CL is included with these rooms, which is in the opinion of many on the DISboards the best CL in all of WDW. The Garden Cottages feel so private and cozy, and the quiet pool is just steps away from these rooms...it truly feels almost like it's your own backyard pool! We were upgraded to a Garden Cottage on an anniversary trip nearly two years ago, and we've rebooked that room 3 times since then because we loved it so much...in fact, my H says any trip that's just the two of us MUST now include this room for at least part of the stay, lol!

I hope you have a wonderful trip! :)

Beach Club is beautiful and will give you great access to EPCOT & DHS. If you do a split stay, consider the Grand Floridian. It is gorgeous and there isn’t anything like it in DLR. The hotel truly is part of the vacation. We love the walkability of DLR, but the Grand is one monorail stop away from the Magic kingdom and you walk through the beautiful lobby to get to the monorail. We’ve generally booked standard rooms and they’ve always been great. Good luck planning.

Split stay, Yacht Club and a monorail hotel! You will love Storm Along Bay for afternoon breaks, easy walk to the other crescent bay resorts. Nice meals to be had a the Swan and Dolphin as well! Then switch to a monorail hotel and enjoy the proximity to MK! Hope you have an amazing trip!

We are also a couple in our mid-30s, no kids. We are WDW vets and visited DLR for the first time this year.

Poly is great, but the tropical vibe at the Disneyland Hotel reminded us of it. Similarly, the woodsy feel of Grand Californian reminded us very much of Wilderness Lodge. Even AKL to a degree, with the dark, grand woodwork and feel throughout the resort. I would rule these resorts out if you want something different and unique to WDW.

IMO, DLR doesn't have a resort that compares in theme to Beach Club or Boardwalk. These resorts are two of my favorite locations in WDW because you can easily walk or boat between DHS and Epcot. If you're going in late 2020, there's a good chance you'll catch the Epcot Food & Wine Festival which is ideal for foodies, so it would be a great option to stay so close where you can easily pop in and out. That said, I would book either of these resorts now, even if just to hold it while you're still thinking, because they book up quite fast during the Food & Wine Festival, which runs late August through mid-November.

I've heard Boardwalk can have long hallways, but I would say the same about AKL. Probably other resorts too. For two able bodied adults, I don't think it should be a consideration when the benefits of the resort outweigh this. Request a room near the elevator if its a concern. Also, I will caution that while Stormalong Bay at Beach Club is an awesome pool area, many people opt to stay there solely for the pool. Because of this, it can be busy. Also, if you're traveling November-December, pool time can be iffy as it can cool off that time of year.

Coronado Springs is my favorite moderate resort and Gran Destino Tower is beautiful, but for my first trip celebrating a special occasion, I would choose a deluxe resort that has some alternative transportation options to the parks. The buses are fine, but being walking or monorail distance is such a great perk. Also, CSR and the Tower cater to business travelers which is my biggest con there. They're not typically problematic, but as a business traveler myself, I don't like being reminded of work and prefer to be surrounded by like-minded fellow vacationers. It's just a different vibe which keeps you in the "Disney bubble".

As far as a split stay, I am not a fan but a lot of people like it to break up the trip and have it feel like two vacations in one. I would rather unpack and "take care of business" just at the start and end of my trip. If you do decide on a split stay, just remember you may be "homeless" for a few hours on your change-over day. I would also highly recommend taking an Uber with your luggage between resorts. I've heard horror stories of luggage missing for a while when allowing Disney to transfer it.

Have you considered Old Key West resort or Saratoga Springs resort? IMO, the themes aren't as exciting as Beach Club or Boardwalk, but OKW is a quick boat ride to Disney Springs and SSR is walking distance. We visit Disney Springs at least 2-3 times per trip for dining, drinks, and some shopping. Another good option for foodies. Either resort's theme would be unique from DLR as well.

We ALWAYS prefer a split stay. yes, you do need to pack and move mid stay, but if you plan for it this is very easy. You can either take a Lyft tooth next resort and drop your bags at the beginning of the day OR you can give your bags to Bell services to move and g o about your day. Just go to the new resort when you are ready later that evening. (If you do give Bell services the bags, be aware that you likely won't see them until sometime after dinner, though.)

So we would choose the CR and YC/BC or BWI choice. Nothing beats the convenience of being able to walk to the theme parks, IMO. This combination gives the best transportation options. The CR also has a boat to FW and the WL and is a short walk to the MK bus stop for buses to all resorts not on the monorail. The rooms in the CR tower all have large balconies with stunning views. We Love the CR!

The Epcot area is the one that seems to fit best with young adults. We moved from the MK area resorts to staying in the Epcot area as well when our children. became teens. We all loved it. Our kids both chose the Epcot area resorts for their honeymoons, so I guess that they liked it a lot! Storm Along Bay is a nice pool complex and both the YC and BC are sister resorts, joined at the middle. The BC is the closest to Epcot and has beautiful theming that we love. It borders the beach which we also enjoy. However, the YC is the first pick up/drop off for buses and the YC rooms almost all have full balconies (not so at the BC).

FWIW, our choice would be (and has been) the CR and the YC.

I think that you have selected the best possible choices in all of WDW! have fun planning!

We are in the early planning stages of a late 2020 trip and I'm trying to decide on a resort. Here is some info on us:
  1. Early/mid 30s couple, no kids
  2. Never been to WDW -- we are DLR vets
  3. We are both very active with no physical issues
  4. We LOVE food and cocktails, but aren't the super fancy dining type of people
  5. We are rope droppers -- at DLR we will sometimes rope drop to close, but want a more relaxed pace for WDW. We will probably take afternoon breaks and go back for the evenings
  6. Our stay will probably be about 8-9 days with a rest/non-park day day built in
  7. We are interested in visiting all parks
  8. Budget isn't a huge concern since this will be a celebration for a milestone anniversary
We are leaning toward a deluxe resort. Since I've been so spoiled by DLR and it's wonderful compactness and walkability, I am leaning toward an Epcot area resort so we can walk to HS and Epcot. The Beach Club was the resort I was eyeing, but the Boardwalk Inn seems good too. I'm just favoring Beach Club a bit more for Stormalong Bay and I've heard Boardwalk can have REALLY long hallways.

I was also thinking -- well why not do a split stay between an Epcot resort and Contemporary so we could walk to Magic Kingdom on those park days. We could use our rest day to leisurely check out of the first hotel, then head over to Contemporary (probably Uber so we can just take our bags). If our room isn't ready we could check our bags and check out the resort and/or the other Monorail resorts. Then MK days following. I'm just a bit worried about messing with the flow of the vacation. What do others think of split stays?

Another option is the new Grand Destino tower with club level added. I've always wanted to stay club level and this seems like the most affordable option. I also like how you can book a bed type (we prefer a King bed) for the moderates. I'm a bit scared by the buses, BUT I figured if they are awful we can always Uber or Minnie Van to/from the resorts. However, I may be less inclined to pop back for a break as much.

So what do you think-
  1. Beach Club
  2. BoardWalk Inn
  3. Split stay between Beach Club or Boardwalk AND Contemporary
  4. Grand Destino Tower, Club level
  5. Something else entirely!

With the length of your trip, I would definitely consider an EP/MK resort split. In the EP area, we actually love all of the resorts, so, if budget is a factor, I would not hesitate considering whichever is pricing out the cheapest for your dates. They are all convenient to EP and DHS and you can walk around the Boardwalk to access the restaurants, lounges and entertainment. I would also suggest pricing out studios at both BCV and BWV. The advantage to a studio with only 2 guests is you get a nice sitting area and kitchenette in your room.

In the MK area, CR is a good choice for convenience to MK, but, as an overall resort, not my particular favorite. It's an iconic piece of Disney history, but it also feels a little like an airport hangar, IMHO. GF and Poly are gorgeous, but the monorail is clunky and unreliable in my experience. I would actually consider WL, especially, again, if budget is a factor. It's absolutely gorgeous and gives you boat access to MK (you can either take the boat directly to MK or take the resort boat to CR and walk to MK from there). Here, again, you can look at standard rooms or studios at BRV and CCV which are located at WL. You mentioned you'd like to stay club level - WL CL is lovely and typically prices out less than the other deluxe resort CL's. WL also has two nice bar/lounges.

I, personally, would not do Gran Destino if a deluxe is in your budget. Doing an EP/MK resort split and planning your park touring around where you are staying is really convenient from a transportation stand point.

We do split stays a lot and they are usually between an EP resort and the MK resorts. My one recommendation would be to do your move on a full park day. On the morning of your move, pack up your bags and drop them with bell services. Ask them to transfer your bags to your new resort. Then head to the park for the day. At the end of the day, head to your new resort and pick up your bags from bell services. It's super easy.
If you do your move on a non-park-day, you have to be out of your current room by 11am and your next room might not be ready until 4pm or later. So, you could be without a room for a while. If I'm going to have a non-park-day, I want it to be relaxing and not have to be anywhere at any particular time.

Another thing to consider: If you are wanting to try the dining plan, and you do a split stay, you can do the plan for just part of your stay if you want. We find the dining plan to be too much food for a full stay, but if we are doing a split stay, we will sometimes do the dining plan for just part of it.

Have a great trip!

I would lean toward Beach club as it is an easy walk into Epcot. You said you are food and wine people and the festival will be going on most likely. I'm not a fan of split stay as I like to just settle in.

If I did the monorail hotels - I would choose Poly or GF over Contemporary. I like the restaurants/bars and overall feel at those better. As mentioned Poly would let you walk to the TTC for Epcot monorail and they both are served by the boats which I find relaxing.

WOW! Thank you for all the helpful information! I love the Disboards -- I knew you guys would come through with great advice.

I am glad that others seem to agree a split stay isn't a huge hassle. I appreciate the advice to do it on a park day from @Shellyred8 , that would probably work out best rather than waste our rest day. Due to all the rave reviews I'm now also considering the Poly for our MK leg of the stay. The resort looks beautiful! However, for some reason I'm still so drawn to CR. Maybe it's just how iconic it is? That'll be a hard decision to make between the two resorts... definitely some pros and cons to consider.

Boardwalk is looking like a good contender for our other half of the stay. Thank you @reluctantredhead for the great room type rec at Boardwalk! Those garden cottage rooms look FABULOUS.

Now DH and I need to get our thinking caps on and make a final decision. Thanks again everyone!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter