Help me spice up our vacation

KCmike

Never have fallen asleep on any
Here is the breakdown...
Yosemite - 3 days
Monterey -2 days
San Fran - 1 or 2 depending on money situation

So the rub here is that this is basically a nature vacation for my family. Something we've never down. Is there anything in Northern California other than the Monterey Aquarium that would be exciting?

I guess I am having the no disney blues.

I don't know how "naturey" this would be considered, but it would be fun to go to Columbia and the surrounding cities for a day. You can pan for gold and walk around in the old Main street area - a lot of little cities like this in the Gold Country can be fun to explore because of all the history they contain.

The only problem with this is that they are kind of out of the way from SF and Monterey, but if you could work it into your trip somehow I would try to do it.

we did that 2 years ago and the kids loved it! definately good idea. my mom saw it on bay area back roads. we were glad she did. :rotfl:

Watching the fog roll in on the Golden Gate is an amazing site

when we lived in the bay area my kid's did a field trip to angel island. they hiked around it, learned about the plants and such. there's ferry service to it.

in fairfield there's the jelly belly factory-again kids did field trips here. the tour is realy interesting and you get to see the entire candy making process (the samples are a side benefit:rotfl2: ).

now here's a wierd one-but you said 'naturey'. the mormon temple in oakland does tours of the public areas which include some realy incredible landscaping. i went there years ago and beyond being impressed with the appearance of the place i was amazed to learn that almost every plant that is not indiginous is edible.

in santa cruz there's some naturey stuff including some stunning redwood forests. if you've got the disney blues and need a fun-fix, and will be there when it's open, the boardwalk would be allot of fun as well.

Check this out

"This is the best tree-lovers monument that could possibly be found in all the forests of the world," declared conservationist John Muir when describing the majestic coast redwoods of

http://www.nps.gov/muwo/
Hope this helps

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1816489

Muir Woods is a fine place. But that being said, a lot of tourists take this in. Especially by the bus load. From Livermore, you would be driving through some of the most interesting commutes to get there and back.

As an alternative, I would suggest visiting Felton and Santa Cruz instead. Felton is home to the Roaring Camp and Big Trees Railroad. It takes guests from the small recreated town of Roaring Camp up the Bear Mountain to the redwoods or Big Trees if you will. They also offer a train ride from Felton down to the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. The Boardwalk is a great way to see what the Paradise Pier area of Disney's California Adventure was, or should have been, based on. A ride on the Big Dipper is a must do for all coaster fans.

Roaring Camp is also located right next to the Henry Cowell Redwoods State Park.

www.roaringcamp.com

www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=546

www.beachboardwalk.com

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter