Help me understand rope drop advantage

On Saturday we did Rope Drop with Early Entry from Pop Century. We were on line for the Skyliner at 6:45 and it started moving at 7, lined up at the turnstiles for DHS one to two groups back at 7:15, entered the park at 7:30 and went right to Rise and walked on that, Millennium Falcon, and Swirling Saucers all before 'official opening' at 8:30 with time to spare.

The average wait for Rise is 102 minutes. Falcon seems to be 42 min and Aliens 19 (from looking at Thrill Data).
So 15 minutes waiting for Skyliner and another 15 at the turnstiles (not counting transportation/walking through queue time as that'd be the same regardless) for 30 minutes total VS 163 minutes/2 hours 43 minutes. It makes a big difference.

We’ve never waited to rope drop but we do enter during early morning hours. So it doesn’t add any extra waiting to our day. Rides are definitely easier to walk on at that point. However, rides also get less busy right after fireworks and during extended evening hours. Our kids can’t stay up that late so early morning hours are really our only option but if you’re able to stay up late and staying deluxe then extended evening hours are also a good option.

Lines stay pretty low in the early hours. I think it was New Years Eve when my kid and I hit Magic Kingdom at rope drop and experienced 13 attractions in the first two hours.
And around the holidays, the parks open earlier. Less people will attempt a 7 am rope drop than a 9 am rope drop. I'm not usually a morning person but I am at Disney. 🤣

I don't think I've ever done an hour before park opening. My goal is to be through security and at the turnstiles by the time the park opens. So, we're typically getting on a bus about an hour before posted opening time. I don't think we've waited to get in for more than 45 minutes.
But, that was when park opening was consistently 9am across the board. It looks like AK might be open at 7am next year. That could be tough for my group. Typically, we're up at 6am at home, which is 7am at Disney. Maybe AK will be a close the park day.
DH is my toughest contender. He doesn't eat a big breakfast at home, but wants one at Disney. I may end up taking some of the kids to Rope Drop, then DH can bring the rest later on.
We will have a full kitchen this time though, so I'll probably bring a bunch of breakfast sandwiches, and get those heated through when I'm up, then everyone else just has to roll out of bed, put on clothes, and get to the bus/car. I'll probably have the kids bathe in the evening or after pool time.

And around the holidays, the parks open earlier. Less people will attempt a 7 am rope drop than a 9 am rope drop. I'm not usually a morning person but I am at Disney. 🤣
Me too! My husband is a morning person, but isn't at Disney. I don't know how we put up with each other.

Over the years I've read posts of using the "rope drop" to get to a popular ride before the line gets long. For example, a recent post that someone arrived at 7:45 for a 9:00 opening. They were at the front and walked (quickly I assume?) to their ride and got on without waiting. Then they went on to a few more rides before the lines built up to their daytime lengths.

1. Isn't this the equivalent of standing in line for an hour and fifteen minutes? You arrive at 7:45 for a ride at 9, and you just stand and wait. Hmmm...

2. And arriving early doesn't help you with any ride except the very first. If the rope drops at 9, and I arrive at 9, I still have my choice of all the rides with shorter early morning lines. And I'm actually a bit ahead of the early arriver, because they do get their first ride right away, but for all the rest of the rides I actually am about even with them, just a bit ahead while they are riding that first ride.

Really, didn't you stand in a "line" for an hour or more for that first ride?

So, what's your opinion? Is getting on one single ride quickly worth the potentially long wait? I know many people love rope drop, so I'm hoping to hear what I'm missing.
1. Yes.
2. Yes, to some extent. Except you will get your ride #1 half an hour later than the person who was #1 in line. So by the time you exit ride #1, they will have already spent 20minutes waiting on ride #2.

3. Sometimes the parks open earlier than the posted time.
4. Getting to the parks almost always takes longer than you expect, especially those who use WDW transportation, especially the buses. Or you have to drive to WDW from an offsite hotel.

5. Breakfast rush hour at WDW, especially in the food courts. If 2 or more WDW parks open at 8am, then there will be a hoard of people ALL attempting to arrive at the park for 8am. So if you attempt to get breakfast at a WDW food court, you'll wait. You'll wait to order, to pay, and you might wait longer for your order to be prepared.

Arriving early to the gate, might = being first in line. But everyone else is on the same mission. Stopping to tie your shoe can easily cost 20minutes in the 7DMT queue. On busy days, that queue goes from zero to 90 minutes in a matter of seconds.

Morning is also the least hot part of the day. In winter, it might be chilly. In summer, afternoons can get pretty warm. They also get stormy.

Rope Drop crowds also tend to be rude and aggressive. People are VERY inclined to only think of themselves/their family. That is somewhat true all day at WDW, but worst first thing in the AM when folks are most juiced up on caffeine.

For years, we generally aimed to arrive just after RD. more recently we aimed to arrive for the extra half hour, but I don't know it was really worthwhile. Since so many hotels are now included, and so many folks are up at 7am to book G+, mornings not no longer as value as they once were. On a slow week, they still hold some value. On a busy week, half an hour isn't long enough to make much difference.

But by default it would be a fuller experience as you are in the parks doing the things that you want to do as opposed to spending a couple extra hours sleeping. Then in the afternoon if you need a recharge had back to the resort, rest/swim and recharge your batteries while the parks are full with people and its the hottest part of the day.
If you are a morning person.

If you are not a morning person= getting up too early = being cranky. Cranky all day is not fun for anyone in your group.

Personally, I am able to be up early and late, maybe nap in the afternoon, but that doesn't work for everyone.

In winter, the afternoon warm is very welcome. In summer, afternoon heat tends to make people sleepy. Also, in summer late afternoon often = storms. So summer park strategy is quite a bit different from winter, also low crowd season vs. high crowd season.

Arriving early to the gate, might = being first in line. But everyone else is on the same mission. Stopping to tie your shoe can easily cost 20minutes in the 7DMT queue. On busy days, that queue goes from zero to 90 minutes in a matter of seconds.

For an alternate strategy on 7D, we like to hit it either right after the fireworks or about a half hour before close.

We’ve done this several times, and our longest wait ever was 20 minutes during opening week in 2014.

Our wait just a few weeks ago was 15 minutes, so I guess the strategy still works.

We are on the sixth day of our 8 day trip and we have not Rope dropped once. Plus we take afternoon breaks every day.(except today but we did not get to HS until 11:30 AM today) We have done everything we have wanted to, plus much more. I am not advocating for rope drop or not, but saying you don’t have to rope drop to get everything done.

You can see my detailed reports in the “here now and just back” thread, the last few pages

We do have Genie plus every day and that has been vital

1st day
https://www.disboards.com/threads/h...-including-park-hopping.3807247/post-64166255

2nd day
https://www.disboards.com/threads/h...-including-park-hopping.3807247/post-64167280

3rd day
https://www.disboards.com/threads/h...-including-park-hopping.3807247/post-64170052

4th day
https://www.disboards.com/threads/h...-including-park-hopping.3807247/post-64172637

Keep going in that thread if you want to see how we’ve done it at all 4 parks

Dan

Last edited:
On Saturday we did Rope Drop with Early Entry from Pop Century. We were on line for the Skyliner at 6:45 and it started moving at 7, lined up at the turnstiles for DHS one to two groups back at 7:15, entered the park at 7:30 and went right to Rise and walked on that, Millennium Falcon, and Swirling Saucers all before 'official opening' at 8:30 with time to spare.

The average wait for Rise is 102 minutes. Falcon seems to be 42 min and Aliens 19 (from looking at Thrill Data).
So 15 minutes waiting for Skyliner and another 15 at the turnstiles (not counting transportation/walking through queue time as that'd be the same regardless) for 30 minutes total VS 163 minutes/2 hours 43 minutes. It makes a big difference.

Great plan! Have you rope dropped the other parks? Curious on timing for the buses/skyliner and what time they let you in to the other parks.

Rope drop is great. We got on all the major rides by 12 noon. The lines were so short, we went on some twice.

Great plan! Have you rope dropped the other parks? Curious on timing for the buses/skyliner and what time they let you in to the other parks.

For MK, if money is no object you can walk from the Contemporary. Otherwise it's the monorails, boats, or busses, in that order of preference LOL. Timing-wise asking the cast members at the hotel is your best bet. I'd imagine it's similar where they don't want people in the parks until about an hour before early entry/1.5 hours before regular entry.

Epcot absolute best would be walking from Beach Club for International Gateway. Then Skyliner/Boats. Again, I'm sure it's similar. Skyliner runs at the same time no matter where you're going.

My advice would be plan to be on your way (walking or on line for your transportation) no later than an hour before early entry starts at the latest. An hour fifteen should be safeish. But alway always check the usual blogs and ask cast members at your hotel.

The plan that allows for this is at Disneyland.
So true. I have only been to Disney World once and am returning this month for my second visit. Most of my family's trips have been to Disneyland. What Babe the Blue Ox describes is definitely something I have experienced in Disneyland many times over. We would often close out summer nights riding Splash or BTMRR several times with zero waits. It will be interesting to see how our evenings go in Disney World. We are travelling from the West Coast so mornings may be a bit rough. No matter what, we will be closing whatever park we are in every night and taking advantage of a couple of the extended evenings. And if we try do hit early entry, it will definitely be at the last minute. That is what we do at Disneyland. Usually roll into the park 10 minutes before opening and move quick once that rope drops. I don't know if this is doable in some of the parks in Florida though. I think I have read about people entering through the International Gateway at Epcot and lining up for Remy before "rope drop", for example. If this is true, may need to arrive quite early in such a scenario.

Rope drop is awesome, especially for Magic Kingdom. Those staying at Disney resorts can go a half hour before the parks open (they changed it). We got on all the rides we wanted twice without having to wait. It is a must, especially during the summer heat time.

In my mind, it is the same reason why people waited in line for the new iPhone years ago...the anticipation and the excitement of being with other like folks excited as you. Years ago, we were at rope drop at EPCOT and were chosen as the "family of the day". They did a whole thing, all the characters came out and we got pictures and got to ride Test Track first -no one could ride any other attractions until be got on that. That was exciting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter