Help. Meds that need refrigeration at MK/Epcot?

Ali

Resorts are my favorite part of the vacation
Is there somewhere I can keep a few doses of an antibiotic my son is on at the MK? We are going on saturday and he has an ear infection, the med says take with food, so he will be eating at the parks. Going to Epcot later in the day, so we will need to keep it cold all day long if we carry it with us, something I don't think will work in the sun and heat. I'm sure there is a way, maybe you guys can help me.

Can you ask your doctor for the antibiotics that only have to be taken once daily, instead of every x hours?

If not you can check with the baby care centers or take an insulated lunch bag with an ice pack

Nope - this is the second round of antibiotics for him, and he's only a year old, so they like to do it in 2 doses as prescribed. Thought of the ice pack, but from experience I know it is melted by 4 pm.

Ali-
You could check with any diabetic supply shop and you can usually find them listed in your yellow
pages. Having a diabetic in the family and needing to keep insulin cold when we go to WDW we
found that they sell a little pouch with multiple pockets. It includes a space for a special cooling
pack. You freeze it and it stays pretty cold all day. By the end of the day its not as solid anymore
but it is still cold and being that we usually don't go back to the resort at midday, we have to
do whatever we can to keep it cold all day long. We've never had any problem with it not
keeping things cool.:D

Hopefully your little guy will feel better soon.:)

you take a small insulated bag (I still use the ones that I got when my babies were born) and take a baggie/ziploc with you. I am sure that the counter places would be more than happy to give you ice .

The only pain is you would have to watch it for melting.

Good luck.

Pehaps you could get a free cup of ice at one of the counter service places and replace the melted ice throughout the day. Those bottle insulated carrier seem a little better that a regular bag too.Good luck!!

Jordan's mom

We have tried all sorts of things to store insulin but what we have found to be the easiest is to get a drink in the refillable resort cup (the one with the closing lid) on the way to the bus stop and take the insulin in a snack sized ziplock bag filled with ice, when I am done with the soda (usually by the time we get in the park) I dump and rinse the cup put a little ice in the bottom then the insulin then a little ice in the top and some napkins to soak up the melting ice and hook it upright to my hip pouch and then just refill with ice as needed. You can get ice at any of the counter service or drink carts.

Thanks for all of the ideas - I like the cup idea - it would be stable and I would know where it is. We always are stopping for ice anyways - usually ask for 4 cups at a time, what's one more?

Our dd has congential heart defects that can not be repaired so she takes LOTS of meds. She was on a med that required refridgeration. This is what we did.

(1) A restaurant offered us their fridge for the duration of our visit in the place.

(2) While walking around, we put ice in a baggy and place the baggy and the meds in one of the round beer can insulators.

Good luck! Sandra

You can store medications in the refrigerator at First Aid in any of the parks. The CMs there are very nice, there are nurse available and because they are medical people, they are used to dealing with medications.
I would not suggest storing the meds in any restaurant refrigerator. You have no control about who would be moving it around and some of the raw food in there (chicken, perhaps) could possibly contaminate your bottle.

I used the first aid at Disneyland to store antibiotics for my infant son. They are used to having people bring meds to them...I'm sure Florida parks have the same policies. You just sign something when you drop it off.

First Aid next to the Baby Station will store your medicine in their refrigerator. They even helped me give it to my child when she was difficult.

We went with a little one on antibiotics for an ear infection. When I told the pediatrician that we were traveling, she was able to give me sample bottles that contained just one dose. That way, we just added the water, shook the medication and gave it to him. There was no need to refrigerate because we just tossed it out when we were done. It worked great.

Double check with the pediatrician and let him/her know your specific prediciment. We travel often and our ped is always able to come up with something. Examples are: a sample that could be mixed "on the spot", a once a day dose, or an antibiotic that dosen't require refridgeration (there are so many). Do yourself a favor and ask and then ask again! These days they have many options available to them they really should be able to provide you with a convient solution. Better to switch antibiotics than have the child miss a dose or risk bacteria.

If not, rent a fridge from the hotel and invest in a good (coleman) soft sided cooler. Freeze a water bottle and or some juice boxes as ice packs, they will double as drinks when thirsty and they should stay cold most of the day. You can also keep a dose with you if needed and leave one in the first aide center for later. With a 1yo I would strongly suggest a mid-day break for a nap, playtime and pool break which may solve most of the problem.

HTH and have a wonderful trip. Hope the dear one is well soon.
TJ

Most of the liquid antibiotics also come in chewable form. Unfortunatly most Dr's do not know this. The first time DS was on a chewable it was called in by the Dr on call on weekend. A few years later when we were going out of town DD had an ear/sinus infection. I asked the Dr about a chewable and she didn't know that there was one. She looked it up in her book and there it was. It was like a fast melt bennedryl (it just disolves in their mouth without chewing)so it wouldn't be too hard for a one yr old to take.

thanks for all of the ideas - we put in a baggie filled with ice and carried it, and asked at first aid after we were done if they would have stored them - they said yes. I didn't know about the one dose samples though - will ask about that next time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter