"Help the Yankee DISer" Part II-visit Australia/DL-the PTR(8/19 -TR Link Post#263!)

Pete- I'm running out to work and I'll be back later with more thoughts.

But.....have you checked how far Cairns is to the Whitsundays/Airley Beach? That's quite a drive.

There are quite a group of islands at the Whitsundays. I'm pretty sure there are over 75. You get to see the lower reef from the Whitsundays and I've been on a similar boat to scuba/snorkle trip out on the pontoon from Long Island. I cannot comment on Cairns as I have yet to make it up to Far North Queensland (it used to always be cheaper to go somewhere else overseas than go to Cairns).

The drive between the two appears to be about 8 hours. That's why I would need to leave a whole day for travel in between. (Leave Cairns Friday morning, arrive Airley Beach Friday night.) I am going to try and avoid driving at night as much as possible. The "opposite side of the road" thing has me nervous enough during the day. (Or is it us that drives on the opposite side of the road....nope, we drive "right"! :laughing:)

The drive between the two appears to be about 8 hours. That's why I would need to leave a whole day for travel in between. (Leave Cairns Friday morning, arrive Airley Beach Friday night.) I am going to try and avoid driving at night as much as possible. The "opposite side of the road" thing has me nervous enough during the day. (Or is it us that drives on the opposite side of the road....nope, we drive "right"! :laughing:)

Wow that's a bunch of driving you are planning there, definitely my style a trip. I have only driven through northern Queensland on a quite inland route via Longreach. I am reasonably sure that you will encounter some of the same issues. The trunks are mostly road trains, these are 50m (170 feet) long. 4 semi trailers end to end. The roads are less than ideal, nothing like the US interstates and can be very very bad in places.

You are right to avoid driving at night, unless you slow right down and watch the road intently, it only a matter of time until you hit a kangaroo. Kangaroos are unlike most animals you will encounter, they positively seem to have a death wish and will run directly in front of you if startled.

The weather is very wet this year and by driving you run the risk of being cut off by flood waters and/or flood damage.

The accommodation options on the inland routes can also be a little rough and ready, but this can add to the charm if you keep the right mindset. Food and dining options may also be a little thin on the ground.

Pete - 8 hours driving in Far North Queensland might be a lot more depending on traffic. I'm not trying to deter you from the drive as I've never driven up that far and I don't know the road conditions at all. In Queensland, I've found that it is wise to add 25% more time to the suggested driving time.
Perhaps one of the Aussie Dis-sers has done this trek and might be able to advise you better.

But out of Cairns, this website might help you with a similar boat/snorkling trip to the one at the Whitsundays/lower reef. http://www.cairnsvisitorcentre.com/featured-cairns-tours

I would definitely only do one boat trip - they are expensive and will be very similar. That Whitsundays one looks perfect.

I have done one out of Cairns and while it was good and we did enjoy it, The weather was fine on the mainland but it was really quite windy out on the reef. The sea was very choppy and it was really quite cool - it was really hard going snorkelling under these conditions. I wouldnt prepay for a boat trip, its not worth going if the weather is lousy.

Also be warned, even on calm days many people get quite nauseous on those boats - if your family is susceptable, dose up on the dramamine.

My suggestion is to do a boat trip out of Airlie Beach. If you end up with a spare day in Cairns, you should consider driving to Port Douglas and the Daintree river. You can cross the river on a car ferry and drive to Cape Tribulation, its an easy day trip from Cairns, roads are good with little to no traffic - rainforest is beautiful and there are some authentic boat trips on the river, where you will see lots of wildlife in their natural habitat even salt water crocs so dont go swimming!

australia.jpg

This just came up on my facebook from an american friend - made me think of you! :)

As long as you are not driving down the coast on a Sunday, you shouldn't have many traffic problems (unless there is a big accident). Sunday is filled with people driving home after weekends away and day trippers. Also do not drive on a public holiday, this will make your journey much longer due to everybody driving home after heading up or down the coast for the long weekend.

Pity you are not flying from Melb to Hamilton Island. I got an email yesterday for $79 flights with Jetstar in August.

Other than that, really the only thing that should hold you up on your drive... as mentioned before, would be flooding. Roads up north are notorious for being closed due to flooding. Then it won't add an hour or two to your journey, it will add a day or two, or three, or four depending on the flooding. However you are going mid year. The wet season, mainly affected by flooding is December January (but can be February). Mid year is not a high flood time, so you should be ok (although nothing is guaranteed).

Pity you have to fly to Sydney just for the flight to LAX and you couldn't get a flight out of Brisbane to LAX. The traffic from Aust Zoo to Brisbane in the late afternoon/early evening can be a bit of a nightmare. I have been stuck in many a traffic jam on that route, so do factor that in to your drive from the Zoo to the airport that night. You could get a straight, uninterrupted ride, but then again, you could get major traffic.

I wouldn't miss the Whitsundays, it is just beautiful and really will be memorable part of your trip. Two nights and a half day is enough in Cairns.

If you like inland, Maleny and Montville (not far from Australia Zoo on the Sunshine Coast) is a lovely place to visit, very pretty, hinterland/non coastal areas.

I agree with the Port Douglas recommendation, it's gorgeous there. Proserpine is also a really sweet little town worth a visit.

Sounds like a great trip! I look forward to following along :)

Hi Pete - Still here, mostly lurking... I don't have anything to offer as far as your planning goes becaue I know nothing about Australia but I'm enjoying reading about your plans. It's going to be an amazing trip & I can't wait to read about it when you get back!

Will be back a bit later with any useful info-have driven 4 trips now Bris to Cairns and back via coastal and inland routes. Want to check timings-most were in July school hols. Roads are not as good as US but it is a nice way to see a bit more of the coast. Reef Carins or Whitsundays is fine. I think coral is slightly better further north in Carins but you'll get the flavour at either. Have to run-watch this space.

OK. The day drive from Cairns to Airlie Beach is easily doable. About 650km. Roads will be more like your US secondary roads that meander the mid west-and most sections 1 lane traffic each way with painted centre-line. Example of timings would be get away from Cairns 8amish. Get into Townsville outskirts for lunch 12ish (highway bypasses). Unless you have burning desire not sure worth detour through traffic into town for just quick stop. Continue reaching outskirts Bowen 3ish. I possibly would detour to main beach area here (not far off highway) for pm tea stop so bit of a scenic stop rather than bland highway. This is where much of the film Australia was filmed (if you have seen it). Then ocntinue on reaching Airlie Beach 5.30ish-on dusk.

Am posting this in short bursts as my log-in connection for some reason on disboards times right out every 5 mins otherwise. The drive down the coast is a good one if you have time to stop and meander off the main highway but unfortunately you do not so you are up for some very long boring stretches. I amk not sure if doing this drive thing is really worth it given your short length of time but we do crazy things like this overseas so I am not saying that! The stretch from Rocky down to Gladstone is exceedingly boring-nothing to look at but scrub.

I second your thoughts on detouring inland from Mackay up to Eungella. In fact I would make that eg Th night Airlie, Fri day trip out to the reef (make sure you pre book btw as they do sell out), Fr night Airlie. Sat night Eungella (about 260km from Airlie) - we have stayed twice now at Broken River Mountain Lodge-excellent stay and can walk down at dusk and sunrise and may see platypus in the wild (much more satifying than in a zoo). It was nice cabin accom (Ialso lots of possoms in the evening and nice forest walks) and used to be a nice restaurant though I see now diff owners so who knows. There are other places to stay too if you google.

Grr-5 mins logging back in..
A whole lazy day at Eungella would be nice (choice of extra night here or at other end-I would get closer to Bris given international flights at risk and have it on the sunshine coast)-so provided accommodation choice lets you stay just one night not a 2 night minimum then Sun you really have to head down the mountain and then the boring stretch along the Bruce Highway (HW 1) to Rockhampton (407km, around 5 hrs driving) as detour inland is far too long a detour through mining towns (and not even scenic desert scenery that you would get unlike the detour via Broken Hill heading the very long way between Sydney and Melbourne or Syd to Adelaide). I would stay Sun night in Rocky (having had am to have a walk around Eungella). From Rockhampton you could head inland-it does make the trip longer- to Biloela-farmland not mountain scenery, and on via Monto and Mundubbera and Gayndah to Goomeri. From here need to head back out towards the coast to Gympie and down the motorway to where-ever you decide to stay in the area for the night. If you like mountains Montville or Maleny on the plateau behind the sunshine coast is highly recommended. (If you are looking at maps the even longer way round via Nanango and Kilcoy is really not new scenery for the detoured distance.) Its around 650km via Biloela and Gayndah from Rockhampton so another full days driving but you pass some classic country towns rather than long boring highway stretches with their interminable roadworks holding you up for ages and the really slow caravans being pulled by mostly sourtherners heading north. Also this route didn't used to have a lot of the big road trains. You then have Mon and Tues nights in the Montville area. One day go to the zoo (just down the mountain a short drive) and one day to explore the mountain area-craft shops, cafes, Kondalilla Falls National Park, Mary Cairncross Nat Park-nice level walk here in forest with classic fig trees with hollow out centre where treee they strangled died, poss see some paddymelon-little forest wallabies, and views over the strange looking glasshouse mountains-old volcanic plugs and if clear day views to coast. All our visitors all love this park and lookout. Wed visit the beaches perhaps (Mooloolabah spit recommended or Caloundra) and leave for Brisbane airport motel before peak hour traffic (ie reach city outskirts before 4.30pm). Skip Brissie-you don't have time and you will enjoy the mountainy/forest area more.

On the roads watch out for dodgy edges, slow moving caravans, big road trains. Early am and especially at dusk kangaroos-you hit one you likely have a demolished car-also if hazy rainy-misty sort of day they can be out on the verges during the day. Inland poss emus on the road though unlikely as you are not going inland far enough but the odd escaped cow is not uncommon-though they mostly stick to eating the grass at the verge not runnning across but take care. Toilet stops every service station has them (sometimes have to get the key from inside, sometimes they are inside) but some leave a lot to be desired! Also at Macdonalds and other fast food outlets. In small towns normally ones in their Lions/Apex Park- sometimes lovely-sometimes less so. May be worth carrying some tissues just in case and handwipes! Small towns have some sort of IGA or similar brand mini supermarket or small shop that will sell drinks, basic food, snacks, petrol. Sometimes brilliant gourmet cafes selling local food. Bigger towns normally have a Woolworths or Coles supermarket as well. Sundays not normally a problem now but some petrol stations in small towns might be shut. Keep an eye on distances and fill up in bigger town (where often better price-petrol is on the rise again at the moment-who knows what it will be doing in August-currently its been up to $1.50/litre).

All of Qld is google mapped so you can drive your man along sections of road and see what appeals when planning your route. RACQ has a good trip planner too that anyone can use. Estimate you will average 80-90km/hour on straight stretches of road-mostly you are speed limited to 100kph (standard on open roads in Qld slowing down to 60 or 50 in towns). Only 110kph on Bruce Highway motorway stretches eg heading from outside Nambour down to Caboolture-where it is clearly signed-which doesn't mean people don't do 110-120 on the open roads but there are speed traps and police lurking everywhere. Add in slow downs for towns, road works etc and tends to average out over a long days drive more like 80km/hr. We always find rest/food stops take up inordinate amounts of time too when planning 600-800km days drives.

The routes suggested should be OK in early August re flooding-winter=dry time but can't ever positively say that. Bruce highway gets cut a lot though anyway. These routes aren't the far inland routes the road train dude above (forget his name sorry) was talking about.

Now as to Cairns-2 options-drive up to Port Douglas and then catch the car ferry across Mossmon Gorge and go up to Cape Tribulation so you can see where forest hits the sea and true thick rainforest (prob my choice for a first timer) or just to Mossmon Gorge with rainforest walks and boat trip on the river to spot crocs or take a day trip up onto the Atherton Tableands with its waterfalls, rainforest and lakes. You arrive Tues so sightsee Cairns-promenade, maybe skyway to Kuranda, maybe botanical gardens (you might see a croc?) that day. Wed day trip as above of your choice. Thurs head south as planned. My tuppence halfpenny!

Sorry get that right its the car ferry across the Daintree River to Cape Tribulation but its a stretch of that river at Mossmon you can do the croc spotting tour (or used to)

Overnight I realised I credited you with an extra day you do not have but it still works eg Tues sightsee Cairns, Wed daytrip, Thurs long drive to Whitsundays, Fri reef trip, Sat drive to Eungella, Sun drive to Rockhampton, Mon long drive to Sunshine coast area, Tues zoo, Wed sightsee mountain areas of Maleny/Montville and later arvo drive to airport motel.

Can’t help thinking though-why are you going to Cairns? Given short time frame now? Cairns itself has very little – people go there to go out to the reef, north to Port Douglas and Cape Trib or Mossman Gorge, inland to Atherton Tablelands and Undarra lava tubes (very cool btw but you have no time) etc. Would you be better just doing Cairns and surrounds properly then fly to Bris and fly home and forget drive down? Or changing flights and flying to Proserpine/Hamilton Isd and spending an extra day in the Whitsundays then hire a car and do the drive south? (and save Cairns area for visit no 2 when you combine Cairns with Darwin and Kakadu and Alice and Uluru?) Just some musings given Cairns is down to 1 ¾ days-but as I said we do crazy fast quick look-sees overseas so I do appreciate where you are coming from.

This is all awesome, awesome advice, I really appreciate it. I made quick comments between the posts, but the whole Thread is got me thinking of some reconsideration, so please everyone read what I post at the end!

Wow that's a bunch of driving you are planning there, definitely my style a trip. I have only driven through northern Queensland on a quite inland route via Longreach. I am reasonably sure that you will encounter some of the same issues. The trunks are mostly road trains, these are 50m (170 feet) long. 4 semi trailers end to end. The roads are less than ideal, nothing like the US interstates and can be very very bad in places.

You are right to avoid driving at night, unless you slow right down and watch the road intently, it only a matter of time until you hit a kangaroo. Kangaroos are unlike most animals you will encounter, they positively seem to have a death wish and will run directly in front of you if startled.

The weather is very wet this year and by driving you run the risk of being cut off by flood waters and/or flood damage.

The accommodation options on the inland routes can also be a little rough and ready, but this can add to the charm if you keep the right mindset. Food and dining options may also be a little thin on the ground.

Yikes! You make me a little nervous about the drive. I would prefer not to wreck my hire car on a Kangaroo.

Pete - 8 hours driving in Far North Queensland might be a lot more depending on traffic. I'm not trying to deter you from the drive as I've never driven up that far and I don't know the road conditions at all. In Queensland, I've found that it is wise to add 25% more time to the suggested driving time.
Perhaps one of the Aussie Dis-sers has done this trek and might be able to advise you better.

But out of Cairns, this website might help you with a similar boat/snorkling trip to the one at the Whitsundays/lower reef. http://www.cairnsvisitorcentre.com/featured-cairns-tours

Thanks for that web-site, that will give me extra options for Cairns.

I would definitely only do one boat trip - they are expensive and will be very similar. That Whitsundays one looks perfect.

I have done one out of Cairns and while it was good and we did enjoy it, The weather was fine on the mainland but it was really quite windy out on the reef. The sea was very choppy and it was really quite cool - it was really hard going snorkelling under these conditions. I wouldnt prepay for a boat trip, its not worth going if the weather is lousy.

Also be warned, even on calm days many people get quite nauseous on those boats - if your family is susceptable, dose up on the dramamine.

My suggestion is to do a boat trip out of Airlie Beach. If you end up with a spare day in Cairns, you should consider driving to Port Douglas and the Daintree river. You can cross the river on a car ferry and drive to Cape Tribulation, its an easy day trip from Cairns, roads are good with little to no traffic - rainforest is beautiful and there are some authentic boat trips on the river, where you will see lots of wildlife in their natural habitat even salt water crocs so dont go swimming!

The Daintree / Port Douglas experience seems like a great idea, if we can keep it in the budget.

As long as you are not driving down the coast on a Sunday, you shouldn't have many traffic problems (unless there is a big accident). Sunday is filled with people driving home after weekends away and day trippers. Also do not drive on a public holiday, this will make your journey much longer due to everybody driving home after heading up or down the coast for the long weekend.

Pity you are not flying from Melb to Hamilton Island. I got an email yesterday for $79 flights with Jetstar in August.

Other than that, really the only thing that should hold you up on your drive... as mentioned before, would be flooding. Roads up north are notorious for being closed due to flooding. Then it won't add an hour or two to your journey, it will add a day or two, or three, or four depending on the flooding. However you are going mid year. The wet season, mainly affected by flooding is December January (but can be February). Mid year is not a high flood time, so you should be ok (although nothing is guaranteed).

Pity you have to fly to Sydney just for the flight to LAX and you couldn't get a flight out of Brisbane to LAX. The traffic from Aust Zoo to Brisbane in the late afternoon/early evening can be a bit of a nightmare. I have been stuck in many a traffic jam on that route, so do factor that in to your drive from the Zoo to the airport that night. You could get a straight, uninterrupted ride, but then again, you could get major traffic.

I wouldn't miss the Whitsundays, it is just beautiful and really will be memorable part of your trip. Two nights and a half day is enough in Cairns.

If you like inland, Maleny and Montville (not far from Australia Zoo on the Sunshine Coast) is a lovely place to visit, very pretty, hinterland/non coastal areas.

While I won't comment too much here, again look at the end for a new way to do this forming in my head.

I agree with the Port Douglas recommendation, it's gorgeous there. Proserpine is also a really sweet little town worth a visit.

Sounds like a great trip! I look forward to following along :)

I need to look more at Port Douglas.

OK. The day drive from Cairns to Airlie Beach is easily doable. About 650km. Roads will be more like your US secondary roads that meander the mid west-and most sections 1 lane traffic each way with painted centre-line. Example of timings would be get away from Cairns 8amish. Get into Townsville outskirts for lunch 12ish (highway bypasses). Unless you have burning desire not sure worth detour through traffic into town for just quick stop. Continue reaching outskirts Bowen 3ish. I possibly would detour to main beach area here (not far off highway) for pm tea stop so bit of a scenic stop rather than bland highway. This is where much of the film Australia was filmed (if you have seen it). Then ocntinue on reaching Airlie Beach 5.30ish-on dusk.

I second your thoughts on detouring inland from Mackay up to Eungella. In fact I would make that eg Th night Airlie, Fri day trip out to the reef (make sure you pre book btw as they do sell out), Fr night Airlie. Sat night Eungella (about 260km from Airlie) - we have stayed twice now at Broken River Mountain Lodge-excellent stay and can walk down at dusk and sunrise and may see platypus in the wild (much more satifying than in a zoo). It was nice cabin accom (Ialso lots of possoms in the evening and nice forest walks) and used to be a nice restaurant though I see now diff owners so who knows. There are other places to stay too if you google.

Now as to Cairns-2 options-drive up to Port Douglas and then catch the car ferry across Mossmon Gorge and go up to Cape Tribulation so you can see where forest hits the sea and true thick rainforest (prob my choice for a first timer) or just to Mossmon Gorge with rainforest walks and boat trip on the river to spot crocs or take a day trip up onto the Atherton Tableands with its waterfalls, rainforest and lakes. You arrive Tues so sightsee Cairns-promenade, maybe skyway to Kuranda, maybe botanical gardens (you might see a croc?) that day. Wed day trip as above of your choice. Thurs head south as planned. My tuppence halfpenny!

Can’t help thinking though-why are you going to Cairns? Given short time frame now? Cairns itself has very little – people go there to go out to the reef, north to Port Douglas and Cape Trib or Mossman Gorge, inland to Atherton Tablelands and Undarra lava tubes (very cool btw but you have no time) etc. Would you be better just doing Cairns and surrounds properly then fly to Bris and fly home and forget drive down? Or changing flights and flying to Proserpine/Hamilton Isd and spending an extra day in the Whitsundays then hire a car and do the drive south? (and save Cairns area for visit no 2 when you combine Cairns with Darwin and Kakadu and Alice and Uluru?) Just some musings given Cairns is down to 1 ¾ days-but as I said we do crazy fast quick look-sees overseas so I do appreciate where you are coming from.

Gosh Wendy, thanks for all this great advice. I really love the feedback from someone that's done it a lot of times. Cairns really appealed to me because of the Kuranda Scenic Railway/Skyway, the Butterfly Sancuary, Birdworld (also in Kuranda) and then the Daintree/Mossman George stuff, which I haven't really gotten into very much. There really is no "Visit #2", at least probably for many, many years.

I was not really considering an alternative to driving, as I was already thinking we were spending an awful lot of our trip at airports. However, several people mentioning the length of the drive, and the sort of "long boring stretches" have got me thinking. I looked closer at JetStar when someone mentioned deals, and found a $45 flight from Hamilton Island to Brisbane. So, let me ask / suggest this modification and see what you all think:

Tuesday (August 7): Fly into Cairns.
Tuesday - Thursday: In Cairns / Kuranda / Dantree - whatever we decide is best.
Friday: Drive Cairns to Airlie Beach
Saturday: Whitsundays/GBR cruise
Sunday: Down to Eugella Natl Park for the day
Monday: Return to Airlie - fly from Hamilton Island (assuming I can get the sail rate @ $45 - not sure how long will be available) to Brisbane.
Tuesday-Wednesday: Maleny and Montville and Australia Zoo

This avoids a good portion of the drive, and I think with flights for $45 it would be cheaper to fly than drive.

So what do you think?

EDIT Later: today when I checked the flight from Hamilton to Brisbane they are only showing $99 - which makes me less likely to pick this option. I am more likely to pay extra to leave on Monday, August 6th to allow us to add a day.

Pete - If you're looking at the discount airfare rates, my advice will be to lock those in sooner rather than later. They do disappear very quickly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter