Here at Aulani now….

AlaskaMOM

<font color=blue>BL II - Blue Team<br><font color=
And I have to say we’re disappointed! This is our 3rd time here, and know with covid things would be different this visit - but wow :scared1: Things sure aren’t making a good impression.
It’s a lot of little things that by itself could be shrugged off, but they’re adding up. We’ll reassess after another day before we make any official complaints, but wanted to come here and ask if anyone knows an email or phone number for DVC member issues (not member services)?? Is that member satisfaction?

And I have to say we’re disappointed! This is our 3rd time here, and know with covid things would be different this visit - but wow :scared1: Things sure aren’t making a good impression.
It’s a lot of little things that by itself could be shrugged off, but they’re adding up. We’ll reassess after another day before we make any official complaints, but wanted to come here and ask if anyone knows an email or phone number for DVC member issues (not member services)?? Is that member satisfaction?

Can you give examples?

Hope it gets better!

I'm here now also!

First time visitor, and I'm also disappointed. Perhaps I was expecting too much Disney magic in a non-WDW resort.
There are simple things wrong though, like not being able to get pool towels easily, or the pools and hot tubs all closing by 8pm. Reservations for all table service restaurants were gone way before I realized this was a thing, and the only dining option available past 8:30 is a lounge and the store (for a frozen pizza). Super glad we rented a car so we can go to some of the local eateries in Kapolei. We've found some great gems there (so in hindsight - it's a good thing the dining options were so sparse at Aulani - it forced us to try other things!! 🤣)

I'm here now also!
I'm sorry to pick at your post, but I disagree with a lot of what you said and I think some of my answers will be useful to others who might be planning a trip.

First time visitor, and I'm also disappointed. Perhaps I was expecting too much Disney magic in a non-WDW resort.
Full disclosure, I haven't been there during COVID, so I can't say whether that's what impacted your experience, but I've stayed at every Disney resort in the country except for Vero Beach, and Aulani is head and shoulders above all of the rest in terms of "magic," as far as I'm concerned. Aulani is in a class by itself, followed by Animal Kingdom Lodge and the Grand Californian, followed by everything else. Obviously a lot of this is subjective taste, and like I said some of what you're feeling might be due to COVID measures, but "not magical enough" is a complaint I don't think I've ever heard about Aulani.

There are simple things wrong though, like not being able to get pool towels easily,
Can you describe what you mean here? That has not been my experience.

or the pools and hot tubs all closing by 8pm.
That's extremely typical of Hawaii, especially in the winter, especially during a slow period. Most tourists are on serious jet lag, so people tend to wake up early and go to bed early.

Reservations for all table service restaurants were gone way before I realized this was a thing, and the only dining option available past 8:30 is a lounge and the store (for a frozen pizza).
I mean... it's not really Aulani's fault that you didn't make reservations. It *is* Aulani's fault that they still haven't reopened 'AMA 'AMA, and I completely agree that this is unacceptable. But it's also worth pointing out that the last time I ate at 'AMA 'AMA, I had a 7:45 reservation and we were literally the last people in the restaurant. As I mentioned with the pools, people just aren't eating dinner that late in Hawaii for the most part.

Super glad we rented a car so we can go to some of the local eateries in Kapolei. We've found some great gems there (so in hindsight - it's a good thing the dining options were so sparse at Aulani - it forced us to try other things!! 🤣)
Did you leave Kapolei at all, or did you stay on that part of the island for the whole trip?

Last edited:
I'm sorry to pick at your post, but I disagree with a lot of what you said and I think some of my answers will be useful to others who might be planning a trip.

Full disclosure, I haven't been there during COVID, so I can't say whether that's what impacted your experience, but I've stayed at every Disney resort in the country except for Vero Beach, and Aulani is head and shoulders above all of the rest in terms of "magic," as far as I'm concerned. Aulani is in a class by itself, followed by Animal Kingdom Lodge and the Grand Californian, followed by everything else. Obviously a lot of this is subjective taste, and like I said some of what you're feeling might be due to COVID measures, but "not magical enough" is a complaint I don't think I've ever heard about Aulani.

Can you describe what you mean here? That has not been my experience.

That's extremely typical of Hawaii, especially in the winter, especially during a slow period. Most tourists are on serious jet lag, so people tend to wake up early and go to bed early.

I mean... it's not really Aulani's fault that you didn't make reservations. It *is* Aulani's fault that they still haven't reopened 'AMA 'AMA, and I completely agree that this is unacceptable. But it's also worth pointing out that the last time I ate at 'AMA 'AMA, I had a 7:45 reservation and we were literally the last people in the restaurant. As I mentioned with the pools, people just aren't eating dinner that late in Hawaii for the most part.

Did you leave Kapolei at all, or did you stay on that part of the island for the whole trip?

Why can’t people share bad experiences - there are plenty of good reports here that people don’t debate.

I am looking forward to hearing your opinions after you go back.

I’m staying next door and using points for one night - to use rainbow reef one day (which is exceptional). But I have points and could stay for “free” for the Oahu part of our trip and am choosing to spend money. That is how my July trip went.

Why can’t people share bad experiences - there are plenty of good reports here that people don’t debate.

I am looking forward to hearing your opinions after you go back.

I’m staying next door and using points for one night - to use rainbow reef one day (which is exceptional). But I have points and could stay for “free” for the Oahu part of our trip and am choosing to spend money. That is how my July trip went.
I don’t think they were saying they can’t share bad experiences, but respectfully disagreeing. I am grateful for all experiences, and as someone who was ripped a new one late last year because I didn’t have the same experience others had, I try to welcome all. For what it’s worth, I’ve found everyone on this thread to be respectful and helpful so far. We should hear everything, good bad and indifferent.

I don’t think they were saying they can’t share bad experiences, but respectfully disagreeing. I am grateful for all experiences, and as someone who was ripped a new one late last year because I didn’t have the same experience others had, I try to welcome all. For what it’s worth, I’ve found everyone on this thread to be respectful and helpful so far. We should hear everything, good bad and indifferent.
I don’t know if a point by point rebuttal of someone’s experience is fair. But that’s just my opinion. And positive experiences are not treated that way.

Of course they can. I think I was very polite in my disagreement. Some of the complaints just struck me as, frankly, unreasonable.

At the Four Seasons, for example, the family pool closes at 7pm. So complaining about the Aulani pool closing at 8pm seems quite a bit unfair. People who are unfamiliar with Aulani or Hawaii in general might not be aware that "pools closing early" is a completely normal thing and should be expected. I think this is useful information for someone planning a Hawaii trip. If they read the OP, they might say to themselves "woah the Aulani pool closes at 8, that's insane!" when in reality, that's just how the islands operate.

I also think "the restaurant was full because I didn't bother to make a reservation" is a bit weird.

And most of my other comments weren't even disagreements. They were agreement ('AMA 'AMA being closed) or just asking for clarity (what was bad about getting towels? Did she venture out of the Kapolei area?)

Last edited:
Of course they can. I think I was very polite in my disagreement. Some of the complaints just struck me as, frankly, unreasonable.

At the Four Seasons, for example, the family pool closes at 7pm. So complaining about the Aulani pool closing at 8pm seems quite a bit unfair. People who are unfamiliar with Aulani or Hawaii in general might not be aware that "pools closing early" is a completely normal thing and should be expected. I think this is useful information for someone planning a Hawaii trip. If they read the OP, they might say to themselves "woah the Aulani pool closes at 8, that's insane!" when in reality, that's just how the islands operate.

I also think "the restaurant was full because I didn't bother to make a reservation" is a bit weird.
Again, I am very much looking forward to your updated view after you visit.

ETA:
2 of the four Four seasons pools next door are open until 9pm (Keiki and Adult only pool). The spa pool closes at 7:30 and Ohana pool closes at 7. So it’s a mix. I knew I remembered being at the adult pool fairly (for Hawaii) late one night.

Last edited:
I'm pre-pissed about the lack of 'AMA 'AMA, Auntie's, refillable mugs, and lei greeting. But I know those things going in.
Those things are not great, but my issue was more intangible- like a loss of magic. I know “vibes” is not useful feedback, and maybe I wouldn’t feel that way now. That is why I’m not being insincere when I say I’m interested in your feedback.

Those things are not great, but my issue was more intangible- like a loss of magic. I know “vibes” is not useful feedback, and maybe I wouldn’t feel that way now. That is why I’m not being insincere when I say I’m interested in your feedback.
One thing I'm going to try to be conscious of is *whom* I blame for certain things. What's Disney's fault, what's Hawaii's fault, what's Washington's fault, what's COVID's fault, etc. This is the approach I used for my December cruise and I left the ship extremely pleased with what Disney was able to do in the circumstances.

Last edited:
On thing I'm going to try to be conscious of is *whom* I blame for certain things. What's Disney's fault, what's Hawaii's fault, what's Washington's fault, what's COVID's fault, etc. This is the approach I used for my December cruise and I left the ship extremely pleased with what Disney was able to do in the circumstances.
Yeah, I had an amazing Disney trip over Thanksgiving at the Polynesian and Boardwalk. Full of Disney magic.

I'm here now also!

There are simple things wrong though, like not being able to get pool towels easily, or the pools and hot tubs all closing by 8pm. Reservations for all table service restaurants were gone way before I realized this was a thing, and the only dining option available past 8:30 is a lounge and the store (for a frozen pizza). Super glad we rented a car so we can go to some of the local eateries in Kapolei. We've found some great gems there (so in hindsight - it's a good thing the dining options were so sparse at Aulani - it forced us to try other things!! 🤣)

This is what I hear the most from first time visitors, they are expecting something that it is not. That is lack of research ahead of time. Aulani has never claimed to be another park, it is a hotel in Hawaii, with a few touches of Disney. And that is exactly what you get. We love our stays at Aulani and think that it is a beautiful resort with plenty to do. Too many people treat it like a WDW vacation, as if it is an all inclusive, instead of a Hawaiian vacations. Island life is completely different then other places and many things close early. That is an Island thing. If I could give everyone a piece of advice, it would be to plan your vacation to Hawaii, and think of Aulani as you would any other hotel. You are going to one of the most beautiful places on the planet, go and explore instead of just sitting at your hotel. I compare it to going to Paris. Would you spend your whole trip at your hotel and never leave to see the sites? Of course not, so why would anyone do that at Aulani?

This is what I hear the most from first time visitors, they are expecting something that it is not. That is lack of research ahead of time. Aulani has never claimed to be another park, it is a hotel in Hawaii, with a few touches of Disney. And that is exactly what you get. We love our stays at Aulani and think that it is a beautiful resort with plenty to do. Too many people treat it like a WDW vacation, as if it is an all inclusive, instead of a Hawaiian vacations. Island life is completely different then other places and many things close early. That is an Island thing. If I could give everyone a piece of advice, it would be to plan your vacation to Hawaii, and think of Aulani as you would any other hotel. You are going to one of the most beautiful places on the planet, go and explore instead of just sitting at your hotel. I compare it to going to Paris. Would you spend your whole trip at your hotel and never leave to see the sites? Of course not, so why would anyone do that at Aulani?
Exactly this! You don't "go on an Aulani vacation," you "stay at Aulani on your Hawaii vacation."

I feel like Aulani has always been right on the border between a vacation destination and a nice Oahu hotel, and with the Covid closures it's definitely a nice hotel.

Is there any specific thing that went wrong or wasn't there?

We have been to Aulani numerous times and are booked again for April. I have never liked the early pool closures though in the past at least there were some hot tubs that were open later. We would normally go to AMA AMA 2-3 times a trip so we are quite disappointed about it being closed with no word on future plans (as far as we know at least) Also not thrilled about opening up adult only pool (it was such a beautiful oasis) and closure of BBQ’s. We will still have a great time (can’t take away the beautiful breeze and sunsets) but we do anticipate some disappointment compared to past.

The Pool thing i totally get. But its not cause of covid. Pools close in Hawaii hotels anytime between 7-9 in my experience. Aulani has been no different.
I dont like it, but its the norm there. I think due to the timescale that the islands run in daily life. Eating at 7:30pm and we are some of the last people in the restaurant by 8pm, generally.
I do wish they made it clear you should reserve things ahead in the area. We booked the Aulami Luau and Makahiki as soon as the window opened up for us(cast member said 30 days before check in to us). We knew to do that because we have been before.

We also booked OpenTable reservations for dinners the rest of the nights at the walking distance hotels and monkeypod. And we did it as early as we could. Cause with AmaAma closed, people staying at Aulano looking for a fancy dinner have only a few choices nearby.
Olelo Room and Longboards are the only 2 places we do on a whim. But I'm pretty sure neither takes anything but in person reservations. But I might be wrong on that.
Similar to WDW, there is a learning curve. Its a lot less steep, but it exists. At least depending on the type of vacation you are looking to get.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter