Here at Aulani now (8/7/21-8/14/21)…a few observations

nickcapp

Mouseketeer
Here now. Just a few observations I thought folks may find useful. Let me know if there is anything else I can answer.
  • MagicBands: They do work, but don’t expect them to. No one else is using them. Seem to be hit or miss. My son and daughters work, mine does not.
  • Aulani Masks: They are back in stock. 2 for $12
  • Refillable Mugs: still not available
  • Renovated rooms are nice!
  • Pool chairs remain the most challenging aspect of this resort, otherwise the crowds are manageable. No problem through about 10:00 Am
  • Elevators. They are a manageable pain. Just ask the party if they mind riding with you. Everyone has been courteous either way
  • Wristbands available for next day at about 1:00 PM.

Here now. Just a few observations I thought folks may find useful. Let me know if there is anything else I can answer.
  • MagicBands: They do work, but don’t expect them to. No one else is using them. Seem to be hit or miss. My son and daughters work, mine does not.
  • Aulani Masks: They are back in stock. 2 for $12
  • Refillable Mugs: still not available
  • Renovated rooms are nice!
  • Pool chairs remain the most challenging aspect of this resort, otherwise the crowds are manageable. No problem through about 10:00 Am
  • Elevators. They are a manageable pain. Just ask the party if they mind riding with you. Everyone has been courteous either way
  • Wristbands available for next day at about 1:00 PM.

Thanks for this! We'll roll the dice and bring our Magic Bands.

MagicBands: They do work, but don’t expect them to. No one else is using them. Seem to be hit or miss. My son and daughters work, mine does not.
When you say "work" just what do you mean? Only for opening your room door? For charging in shops/restaurants?

Just got back today from a 5 day stay myself. Pool chairs where hard to come by (and we were just looking for a single chair to set our stuff on) - several times just set it on the ground in an out of the way place. At the beach it was fine. We were on the second floor and only a few times did we need to let an elevator go. Didn't bring our magic bands so can't add a data point on that. Did get the refillable popcorn bucket on day 1 and took advantage of the free DVC refills many times, glad I had read that on here. Without the refillable coffee mug I started going across the street to an ABC store for coffee which was much cheaper. Wife has celiac and there were two nice restaurants over there, MonkeyPod and an breakfast place. Pretty good pizza place over there also.

Checked in around 3pm, got a room at 5pm. The check in itself was fine as long as you have the proper paperwork for COVID.

When you say "work" just what do you mean? Only for opening your room door? For charging in shops/restaurants?
I checked out yesterday. Magic bands can open doors, you can scan it to pick up your pool wristbands, and in at least some restaurants/shops. You can’t use it for poolside service or other places where your bill comes in the vinyl folder, though.

Magic band worked on doors and for pool wristbands/towels. We did not attempt to charge anything. We are in a renovated room (871/873 Lockoff).
Checkin was easy. No issues with rental car either. (Hertz)
Thanks for the info….Did you ask for a renovated room..or was just given one?

Just got back today from a 5 day stay myself. Pool chairs where hard to come by (and we were just looking for a single chair to set our stuff on) - several times just set it on the ground in an out of the way place. At the beach it was fine. We were on the second floor and only a few times did we need to let an elevator go. Didn't bring our magic bands so can't add a data point on that. Did get the refillable popcorn bucket on day 1 and took advantage of the free DVC refills many times, glad I had read that on here. Without the refillable coffee mug I started going across the street to an ABC store for coffee which was much cheaper. Wife has celiac and there were two nice restaurants over there, MonkeyPod and an breakfast place. Pretty good pizza place over there also.

Checked in around 3pm, got a room at 5pm. The check in itself was fine as long as you have the proper paperwork for COVID.
What kind of coffee maker was in the room? Hubby's a big coffee drinker too, so we'll pick some up at the store.... was it regular grounds and need a filter, or the pods? Thanks!

Do you have to do anything in advance for the Magic Band to work at Aulani? Or just have an active one that we normally use at WDW?

Do you have to do anything in advance for the Magic Band to work at Aulani? Or just have an active one that we normally use at WDW?

Nope…just have an active one.
Ours worked from our previous trip to WDW last year.

We’ve used them to get in the doors, scan to get towels/wristbands, and I’ve used mine to pay for our Spa.
One thing it doesn’t do is get in the parking garage since that’s a local thing they have to program, and they don’t have the setup yet to do that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter