I just wanted to say that the long waits, busy parks, lots of people and low staffing is not unique to WDW. Maybe that is common knowledge, but I thought I'd share a few things just b/c the discussions on many of these board are often depressing about the situations at WDW. I realize these are Dis boards, but maybe someone doesn't realize these problems are not uniquely WDW.

I watched a video of Tim Tracker going to Universal and waiting over an hour just to get from parking garage to park. The line to pass through security was about 45 minutes.

Having recently returned from Hilton Head Island, it was crowded. We waited in long lines for ice cream, waited over an hour for dining. The drive down and back was crowded. An 8 hour drive took 11 hours. As a male, I waited in line twice for a bathroom. Can't remember ever doing that. We detoured the mountain tunnels of Va and were still stuck in mile long back ups on the rural country roads.

My son just went to Cedar Point. He spent the whole day and ended up riding 3 rides all day!!! The waits were about 2 hours each. They waited over an hour to get Panda Express. They also watched one show, not really by choice, but do to reaching their limit of standing in line.

The Revenge Travel is real. Perhaps as schools resume, a few shows open, college program kids get trained and staffing continues to rise, more restaurants open maybe the fall at WDW will return to a more normal experience. I hope.

We checked into Fort Wilderness yesterday, took the internal bus to the ferry and were waiting there by 7:45. They started loading the ferry at about 8:10, if I remember correctly. Dedicated security had no lines and we were walking past Casey's at 8:30. The crowds were already enormous. The fantasyland entrance crowd waiting was huge so we took SDMT off our list and went over to the Tomorrowland entrance to wait for Space Mountain. The crowds built behind us and at some point they announced that Space Mountain was down, no time for reopening, so a lot of people gave up and left the waiting crowd. We stayed and decided to do Buzz Lightyear first instead. Rope dropped at exactly 9.

Turned out that Buzz was closed for refurbishment. I thought I did my research but I apparently missed that. So we rope dropped PeopleMover! Our day was very very hot and crowded, but we had a good time. Lots of line times were inflated, but we followed our Touring Plans plan (optimizing after each ride) and we did okay. Splash had a huge line so we skipped it and then it shut down anyway. I don't know what the problem was, but lots of lines would stop moving for a long time (Thunder Mountain stopped for half an hour, we stuck it out and the line flew after that). When the lines were moving, they were really moving! I think that no fastpass actually made a big difference. I have to say that the heat was a little hard to handle, and we were done by about 3.

We took the ferry back to FW and swam for a while until they closed the pool for lightening nearby. We went into P&Js to ask about kosher meals. There were a couple of "earning my ears" CMs behind the counter who didn't know about kosher meals, but they went behind to ask the chef. He came out, and read us off our options (frozen TV-dinner style meals that they put in a steamer). We were so happy and grateful that Disney provides these so we could have a hot dinner! I really didn't think they'd have any kosher meals and assumed we'd have to go back to MK to Cosmic Ray's, but eating at a nice calm picnic table at FW was amazing and relaxing.

Then we took the ferry back to MK. People were streaming out but somehow the walkways and lines were even more crowded than when we left at 3. We wanted to try Space Mountain again but the line was over an hour so we enjoyed some other rides and watched Country Bears for the first time. It was cute and the guy in front of me was laughing hysterically at the jokes so that was fun to watch. HEA was amazing and I was so proud of my kids for being able to stay up so late. My youngest was kind of a mess by the time we were heading back to FW.

It was an exhausting, exciting, crowded, fun full day, but I don't think we could have done more than one day.

I just wanted to say that the long waits, busy parks, lots of people and low staffing is not unique to WDW. Maybe that is common knowledge, but I thought I'd share a few things just b/c the discussions on many of these board are often depressing about the situations at WDW. I realize these are Dis boards, but maybe someone doesn't realize these problems are not uniquely WDW.

I watched a video of Tim Tracker going to Universal and waiting over an hour just to get from parking garage to park. The line to pass through security was about 45 minutes.

Having recently returned from Hilton Head Island, it was crowded. We waited in long lines for ice cream, waited over an hour for dining. The drive down and back was crowded. An 8 hour drive took 11 hours. As a male, I waited in line twice for a bathroom. Can't remember ever doing that. We detoured the mountain tunnels of Va and were still stuck in mile long back ups on the rural country roads.

My son just went to Cedar Point. He spent the whole day and ended up riding 3 rides all day!!! The waits were about 2 hours each. They waited over an hour to get Panda Express. They also watched one show, not really by choice, but do to reaching their limit of standing in line.

The Revenge Travel is real. Perhaps as schools resume, a few shows open, college program kids get trained and staffing continues to rise, more restaurants open maybe the fall at WDW will return to a more normal experience. I hope.

When you say it like that, it seems like WDW is actually doing a decent job of handling the situation!

Just a note about Mobile Ordering...

My experience over multiple pandemic trips has been that in the early days, most people understood the system. My last visit a couple weeks ago felt like MANY more Guests had no clue that MO was necessary, nor how it worked. At all. That produced some crowds of people hovering around restaurants, asking for help from CMs, placing their orders because they though you had to be right there to place an order, or hanging around waiting for their return time and/or for orders to be ready. I placed my orders ahead of time, nowhere near whatever restaurant I was ordering from, hit "I'm here..." when I was somewhere else but on my way toward the restaurant (usually after exiting an attraction, stopping at a restroom on the way - figure 10-ish mins), and only approached the restaurant when my order was ready. There, I passed all the groups of people hanging around and went straight to the CM manning the door, showed my "Your order is ready" image, and walked in. I had no issues whatsoever.

Thank you for this! The reports of crowds were so alarming. I was really concerned that MO had taken a turn for the worse and we'd be stuck waiting, hungry and desperate, for cold food.

Thank you for this! The reports of crowds were so alarming. I was really concerned that MO had taken a turn for the worse and we'd be stuck waiting, hungry and desperate, for cold food.

No, it works pretty well if you know how to use it. just order ahead and click prepare my meal at least 10-15 min before you're actually there. and you'll walk by all the people standing there who didn't order ahead of time. it will take a bit longer at high meal times like 12-1:00 for lunch. so just plan ahead a little bit and it will go smooth.

I can confirm this!
We experienced this on June 20. I didn't plan it the same way I do for Disney rope drop and instantly regretted it as soon as we got there. Normally when we go to UO, we are on or near property, this time we weren't since just going for one day.

It took FOREVER. I didn't time the wait from parking garage to park, but I wouldn't be surprised if we waited an hour. We arrived I'm guessing about 30 minutes prior to park opening. Way too late! It was a massive cluster of people. Somewhat organized, but still, wow.

As someone who grew up going to Cedar Point (and Geauga Lake and Sea World!) and routinely waiting 3 hours to ride the Raptor, this made me laugh. I'm glad CP added the express pass system (even if it's ridiculously expensive). And now that there are more coasters, the lines aren't as bad as my teen years. ;)

I was watching an aerial video from a local outdoor concert and the amount of people and cars was ridiculous. Crowds are everywhere. Hopefully it will get better soon!

Thank you for giving us all a polite dose of perspective!

Just a note about Mobile Ordering...

My experience over multiple pandemic trips has been that in the early days, most people understood the system. My last visit a couple weeks ago felt like MANY more Guests had no clue that MO was necessary, nor how it worked. At all. That produced some crowds of people hovering around restaurants, asking for help from CMs, placing their orders because they though you had to be right there to place an order, or hanging around waiting for their return time and/or for orders to be ready. I placed my orders ahead of time, nowhere near whatever restaurant I was ordering from, hit "I'm here..." when I was somewhere else but on my way toward the restaurant (usually after exiting an attraction, stopping at a restroom on the way - figure 10-ish mins), and only approached the restaurant when my order was ready. There, I passed all the groups of people hanging around and went straight to the CM manning the door, showed my "Your order is ready" image, and walked in. I had no issues whatsoever.
I feel like these might be the same people that rarely made use of the FP+ system and rode standby, then complain about long lines.

Dan

I can confirm this!
We experienced this on June 20. I didn't plan it the same way I do for Disney rope drop and instantly regretted it as soon as we got there. Normally when we go to UO, we are on or near property, this time we weren't since just going for one day.

It took FOREVER. I didn't time the wait from parking garage to park, but I wouldn't be surprised if we waited an hour. We arrived I'm guessing about 30 minutes prior to park opening. Way too late! It was a massive cluster of people. Somewhat organized, but still, wow.

I can confirm this was our experience too in June. We have always done Universal staying on site but this time decided to go try Volcano Bay driving over from Disney. Huge mistake, will never do this again. Long wait to park, then load shuttles to go to park, but that paled in comparison to leaving the park. Rainstorm and most people left late in afternoon. Massive line to board shuttles - about 45 minute line. Then getting to parking lot, literally NOTHING moving. It took us an hour to exit the parking garage. Just an awful experience that I will never repeat. No Universal unless we are staying onsite.

You are vey welcome! It really was quick and easy. One weird other tip is when looking for where to go to enter a place to get your food, aim for the crowds if you can't see a CM outside a door - then just "excuse me" your way past the people until you see the CM and show them your "Your order is ready" image. I found every CM in that role to be really thankful for a Guest who knew what they were doing!

Same thing is happening here along the coast of Maine and in all of New England apparently. I live on an island and I feel like it’s sinking bc there are SO many people here! And almost every business is severely understaffed. I’m glad that tourism has rebounded here, but it is super crowded. We don’t go out to eat during tourist season (Memorial Day through MDI Marathon weekend in late October).

Can someone who is there now or has been there recently confirm the current rope drop policy? As I understand it, MK rope drop is at precisely 9:00 (park opening), and no one gets on any rides until them. But DHS has been opening some rides earlier. Is that still the case? If so, what time, and which rides? And what is the situation at AK and Epcot? Thanks!

Can someone who is there now or has been there recently confirm the current rope drop policy? As I understand it, MK rope drop is at precisely 9:00 (park opening), and no one gets on any rides until them. But DHS has been opening some rides earlier. Is that still the case? If so, what time, and which rides? And what is the situation at AK and Epcot? Thanks!

IMHO, being at the bus stop 90 minutes prior to a park opening is best- this is especially important for AK and DHS since they queue you for specific rides/areas 60 minutes prior and then start running 30 minutes prior. AK only typically runs FOP that early, but that seems to be the best shot at doing it if you can make the first bus. Everything after that seems to be lower until about 10-11 am since people get hung up in Pandora as they enter the park. (Adding here that I can confirm all the DHS headliners run that early as well- TOT, RNRC, MMRR, SDD, MFSR.)

MK was OK for us heading to the bus stop about an hour before. It is a hard 9:00 open- nothing runs early. You really only need to be at the very front if you're planning on 7DMT first. As long as Spalsh and Space are running, you could get one or the other more easily at park opening.

Long waits are bad, but it just means that people are getting out and about a lot more, which is a good thing.

As someone who grew up going to Cedar Point (and Geauga Lake and Sea World!) and routinely waiting 3 hours to ride the Raptor, this made me laugh. I'm glad CP added the express pass system (even if it's ridiculously expensive). And now that there are more coasters, the lines aren't as bad as my teen years. ;)

I was watching an aerial video from a local outdoor concert and the amount of people and cars was ridiculous. Crowds are everywhere. Hopefully it will get better soon!

Thank you for giving us all a polite dose of perspective!
Me too...grew up going to Geauga Lake, Sea World and Cedar Point. How the heck did Aurora Ohio get a Sea World? I even worked at Geauga Lake one summer in college. Best job ever. I miss that park.

HS and AK are doing their traditional opening. Holding you at lands, then opening up about 30ish minutes prior to official opening. Some rides, but not all have been opening early. Epcot I have seen them open a little early most days, but not every day. MK is the only park that has had the strict opening every day, but this is all generally how it was pre pandemic.

Also, this thread does a pretty good job of keeping up with the most current policies:
https://www.disboards.com/threads/everything-rope-drop.3828303/page-33#post-63206155

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter