I live in NYC and we have urgent care facilities and pop-up testing sites all around the city where you can just walk up and get a test quickly and easily without any reason. I literally took a rapid test and and PCR (both negative!) out of the back of a van and nobody asked the reason or if I was exposed. A lot of people simply need proof of a negative test for things like work, travel, schools/activities, going to visit elderly relatives, etc., so it's fairly common to get tested without any actual exposure-related reason.

If you're in the U.S. the tests are free - you can Google where to find a testing site in your area, but it does seem like a lot of pharmacies and urgent care clinics offer tests (not sure if the link will go through or be redacted, but here is a great starting point: https://www.hhs.gov/coronavirus/community-based-testing-sites/index.html)

Hope it's okay to ask about the manner in which one can get tested upon return. I've (fortunately) only had to test once in all these months and that was due to symptoms (but was negative). Can you get tested out of precaution via pharmacy or is this a public test site? Do you just have to say you had an exposure (which I suppose it somewhat true), or can you get tested out of an abundance of caution w/o symptoms or direct exposure?

My post above was in response to this question!

I live in NYC and we have urgent care facilities and pop-up testing sites all around the city where you can just walk up and get a test quickly and easily without any reason. I literally took a rapid test and and PCR (both negative!) out of the back of a van and nobody asked the reason or if I was exposed. A lot of people simply need proof of a negative test for things like work, travel, schools/activities, going to visit elderly relatives, etc., so it's fairly common to get tested without any actual exposure-related reason.

If you're in the U.S. the tests are free - you can Google where to find a testing site in your area, but it does seem like a lot of pharmacies and urgent care clinics offer tests (not sure if the link will go through or be redacted, but here is a great starting point: https://www.hhs.gov/coronavirus/community-based-testing-sites/index.html)

Thanks. I'm in the US too (NC), but even back when I tested (April '21) I had to go thru a questionnaire online that resulted in "yes you should get tested". I presume had I not had symptoms it would have said "no". Hopefully it's easier now. Thanks again.

Thanks. I'm in the US too (NC), but even back when I tested (April '21) I had to go thru a questionnaire online that resulted in "yes you should get tested". I presume had I not had symptoms it would have said "no". Hopefully it's easier now. Thanks again.

If they do ask, the CDC recommends testing for:
  • People who have taken part in activities that put them at higher risk for COVID-19 because they cannot physically distance as needed to avoid exposure such as travel, attending large social or mass gatherings, or being in crowded or poorly-ventilated indoor settings.
Sounds like Disney to me! :)

Hope it's okay to ask about the manner in which one can get tested upon return. I've (fortunately) only had to test once in all these months and that was due to symptoms (but was negative). Can you get tested out of precaution via pharmacy or is this a public test site? Do you just have to say you had an exposure (which I suppose it somewhat true), or can you get tested out of an abundance of caution w/o symptoms or direct exposure?
I'm in IN but recently traveled to NC. I went to CVS's (the primary pharmacy in this area) website and requested testing (note, I did this a few days before I knew I would want the test because I knew they had been hard to come by - then, when I needed one sooner, I had to be a little flexible in where I'd go). There were 7-8 questions and for almost all of them (including known exposure) I answered no. There was one that asked about getting tested in order to prevent spread because I had potentially been somewhere dangerous (my hometown/county has a vax rate of 33% and very few people wore/wear masks); I answered yes to that and received no problem with a test (and when I went in, they asked if I had symptoms, etc and I basically told the story and the response was, "Wow, that's great - you'd be surprised how few people do that." I've planned to do the same if I go through with my planned trip to WDW in two weeks (at this point, based on my experience in NC, I'm planning to go with modifications).

So, TL; DR - I was able to get tested in that situation - hopefully you can, too (though I realize it might be dependent on how much testing is happening in an area).

Just returned on Sunday from our trip to WDW. We had 6 days in the parks from Sunday to Friday. Also did Boo Bash this past Friday night. Not going to try to itemize since many before me have done so already and this will probably feel more like a random set of information.

For the most part, lines were glorious. The majority of rides were literally walk ons or at most 10-15 minutes. FOP was essentially a walk on, got to do it twice. Soarin was a walk on both days we were at Epcot. Rode Everest 5x in the single rider line, walk on every time. Rode MFSR 3x over two days, 2 of those being single rider that was basically walk on. The other day was on Friday when crowds were increasing for the holiday weekend so we waited maybe 25 minutes and I got to see the pre-show that you skip with single rider. Got ROTR both days we were at HS, that whole experience is just amazing. ROTR would have been a walk on in the evenings both days if it was allowed as there was no line after 6 or 7pm each day. Frozen Ever After had probably a 30 minute wait each day at Epcot, was really the only line at Epcot those days. Most everything at MK was walk on minus 7DMT and Peter Pan (still don't get why this always has a long line). ToT and RnRC were basically walk ons and MMRR was probably a 20-30 minute wait each time. We really enjoyed MMRR, had not been on it before.

F&W Festival was great, got to try lots of different items. We did several ADRs and enjoyed each of them. Wave breakfast at the California Grill (had never been up there before, views were breathtaking), dinner at Be Our Guest (super busy here but as a party of 2 we had our own table by the wall), fireworks dinner at Rose & Crown (highly recommend), lunch at Sanaa, dinner at Ohana, drinks at Oga's Cantina (wasn't super crowded around 1pm on Friday), Yak & Yeti (used Landry's membership to get a table as we hadn't made an ADR), and.....I feel like i'm forgetting one but can't think of it now.

Mask use indoors for rides, shows and restaurants all seemed at least 95% most of the time. Always some mask sniffers here and there but cast members would ask them to pull it up when they saw it. We would take our masks off outdoors unless in big crowds and felt we could social distance well most of the time. Haven't been on property since Sunday morning (not really around crowds since Saturday night at the Polynesian) and we're both feeling fine so far, God willing it stays that way (we're both vaccinated).

Heat - oh my Lord was it hot. We're from Houston, TX and that still seemed extremely hot to us. I wouldn't necessarily call us "commando" for how we do Disney, but we are the types to go to the parks shortly after opening and stay until they close. 2 days we had some major rain show up in the afternoon and made it very comfortable the rest of the day, but the rest were miserable. The cooling towels that are sold at just about every store and stand in the parks were a lifesaver. Highly recommend those. Also drinking as much water as possible. We brought a case of water with us and would drink 2 in the morning before we went to the parks and then I'd cary 2 in with me and then buy others the rest of the day. I also highly recommend the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer body mist 100+ spf sunscreen. I'm very fair skinned and will get sunburned if I just look at the sun and this stuff kept me from getting even a hint of a sunburn the entire trip.

MDE - my oh my is this app frustrating. It's been several years since we've been to the parks but I don't remember it being so glitchy in the past. Each time I would want to check ride lines, etc I would have to close the app and re-open it as the menus would be empty (iOS). Then at least 2-3 times on the trip it would log me out and I'd have to log back in and then be told there was "suspicious" activity and I had to reset my password. Very annoying.

Boo Bash - while this was fun I want to offer some recommendations.....this 3 hours is WAAAAAY too short. You have to decide before you go in, what's important to you. If you want to take advantage of the special photo pass, see the cavalcades, the HM characters and Cadaver Dan's? Make that your focus. You'll only be able to get in 4-5 rides maybe. I went into Boo Bash thinking "this is great, we'll see all this stuff and then ride everything". Nope. My wife would stay and watch the cavalcades and my goal was to ride the mountain trilogy and 7DMT. Got stuck on Splash for at least 20 minutes as the ride kept stopping, 7DMT was down all night long and I did BTMR and SM. Wife and I rode HM, JC, teacups, Buzz, POTC and the PM. And then the night was over. We did maybe 2-3 of the photo ops and I missed all the cavalcades (minus the dragon, which was cool and was breathing fire) and the cadaver dans. My wife and I had very different experiences that night :P. Also, the longest lines of the night seem to be for getting the candy and free treats. It's cool to get that stuff, but waiting in long lines? I don't get that.

Happily Ever After - I think my wife and I each shed some tears every time we saw the show. Got to see it twice in person from the hub (which was busy but manageable) and then Saturday night from the beach at the Polynesian. I feel a little sad every time I see people say they watched it from a ride or from tomorrowland, etc as you're missing out on so much from the castle projections. I will dearly miss this show and hope the new one is along the same style.

Ok, I've rambled on long enough. If I think of anything else I'll post a follow up. Feel free to ask questions.

I'm in IN but recently traveled to NC. I went to CVS's (the primary pharmacy in this area) website and requested testing (note, I did this a few days before I knew I would want the test because I knew they had been hard to come by - then, when I needed one sooner, I had to be a little flexible in where I'd go). There were 7-8 questions and for almost all of them (including known exposure) I answered no. There was one that asked about getting tested in order to prevent spread because I had potentially been somewhere dangerous (my hometown/county has a vax rate of 33% and very few people wore/wear masks); I answered yes to that and received no problem with a test (and when I went in, they asked if I had symptoms, etc and I basically told the story and the response was, "Wow, that's great - you'd be surprised how few people do that." I've planned to do the same if I go through with my planned trip to WDW in two weeks (at this point, based on my experience in NC, I'm planning to go with modifications).

So, TL; DR - I was able to get tested in that situation - hopefully you can, too (though I realize it might be dependent on how much testing is happening in an area).

Thank you so much! At the time I took a test (at Walgreen's) I had not traveled or had any other 'at risk' activities, so I probably don't even remember that question!

Heat - oh my Lord was it hot. We're from Houston, TX and that still seemed extremely hot to us. I wouldn't necessarily call us "commando" for how we do Disney, but we are the types to go to the parks shortly after opening and stay until they close. 2 days we had some major rain show up in the afternoon and made it very comfortable the rest of the day, but the rest were miserable. The cooling towels that are sold at just about every store and stand in the parks were a lifesaver. Highly recommend those. Also drinking as much water as possible. We brought a case of water with us and would drink 2 in the morning before we went to the parks and then I'd cary 2 in with me and then buy others the rest of the day. I also highly recommend the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer body mist 100+ spf sunscreen. I'm very fair skinned and will get sunburned if I just look at the sun and this stuff kept me from getting even a hint of a sunburn the entire trip.

Holy cow. I am from Houston area also. If someone from Houston says it was extremely hot, then you know it was absolutely brutal. Hoping that it gets a little cooler for our trip in a couple of weeks.

Holy cow. I am from Houston area also. If someone from Houston says it was extremely hot, then you know it was absolutely brutal. Hoping that it gets a little cooler for our trip in a couple of weeks.

It is worth mentioning though that I tend to avoid being outdoors for long periods in the Houston summers and didn't do a good job of preparing myself for the heat before going, so take my opinion with a grain of salt :-D

Just remembered this little tidbit.....Lightning Lane signs..

While we were there they seemed to be updating these at different attractions. I cannot remember all the rides I noticed them, but I know I saw several that changed between the first day there and my second day. Like Soarin, on Monday the sign said FastPass+ and by Thursday it now said Lightning Lane. So that is starting to happen across the parks for the physical signs that would have to be changed. There's probably a thread about that in more detail around here, haven't noticed yet.

Also - Skyliner. Is. The. Bomb. We loved taking it from Pop to Epcot and HS. I hope it may be extended to MK and AK some day, not sure if that's in the plans or not.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for this report. My partner and I have also decided to take our trip (leaving in 2 weeks) based on a very similar risk calculation to yours. You noted that Disney Springs was a hot mess in the evening -- was that a weekday evening or a Friday/Saturday/Sunday? I was hoping to be able to eat some quick service meals using outdoor seating there, but may need to come up with a backup plan.
Actually, I just looked at my notes and it was about 7:00 (early evening) on a Saturday when we arrived. We got a StarBucks coffee, and after a brief downpour, it was crazy busy an hour later — so we left. You‘ll probably be fine on a weekday nite.

Regarding the heat, I'm from Dallas so we get hotter temps than Houston, which gets more humid. I usually do fine in the Dallas summer heat, which is what the parks feel like at 12-5pm when the full sun is out. I was struggling in the midday heat and humidity at the parks even though it's closer to what I'm used to. I can't imagine what some from the cooler climates of the USA must think when out in that heat.

Do not take it lightly. Drink plenty of water, get the free cups of ice water at each quick service restaurant, get a cooling towel for your neck or head, and wear something to keep your head shaded. If the quick service has a free drink refill machine, use the water to fill up your water bottle or cool your towel as the Disney water fountains are all lukewarm. It's a real shame that Disney hasn't invested in more automatic water bottle fountains like airports have.

Another tiny gripe I have about Disney is the marketing of former rides that Disney either destroyed or made over. I'm still bitter that the Dreamfinder is no longer in Journey Into Imagination. That's a low cost fix Disney could do to generate more interest in that ride. I also don't need to see posters for Horizons. That was one of the best rides ever and was from a time where we all seemed more hopeful for the future. I wish Disney would bring it back in some fashion. I saw a Mr Toad Deluxe Funko Pop in Frontierland. At least that one is still in Disneyland.

Another Houstonian here who'll also be at WDW in a couple of weeks! I'm with you -- if someone from Houston says it was hot, you know it was "surface of the sun" hot!

Actually, I just looked at my notes and it was about 7:00 (early evening) on a Saturday when we arrived. We got a StarBucks coffee, and after a brief downpour, it was crazy busy an hour later — so we left. You‘ll probably be fine on a weekday nite.

Thank you so much for the information!

Another Houstonian here who'll also be at WDW in a couple of weeks! I'm with you -- if someone from Houston says it was hot, you know it was "surface of the sun" hot!

Hopefully it starts to cool off a bit for you the closer we get to October.

I would like to share with other old timers like myself my pride in my ten year old daughter who’s been waking up singing “There’s a great big beautiful tomorrow” from The Carousel of Progress for two days straight! I may have turned her into a fan
My 10-yo loves that and Spaceship Earth. And this trip, she was singing the Figment song...

8 straight rides of Space Mountain.

🤢
We just got back from a 10-day extravaganza as well. report coming later. But this was definitely the one where our kids wanted to ride thrill rides over and over (and could, because of the low crowds). And this was definitely the trip where Everest 3x in a row was more than enough for me.

Just back from a visit - 3 nights at the beginning of the trip at Cabana Bay (love it - fantastic hotel for the money) followed by 5 nights at Pop. Low crowds & most rides walk on up until the last Friday (beginning of the holiday weekend) - were even given the chance to re-ride Flight of Passage with no wait. My wife's cousin was with us - her first trip - so we packed the days pretty full trying to show her as much as possible. The low crowds really helped in that regard. Ate at 'Ohana and was happy to find the food was pretty much back to what it used to be, save for the lack of dipping sauce and the (nasty) bread. Great service, too. Ate at Whispering Canyon (a first for us) and loved it, also had great service. Dinner at Mama Melrose's food was generally good, but the service left something to be desired - unfortunately a recurring theme this trip aside from the two notable exceptions already mentioned. Really disappointed with the decline in customer service and generally poor cast member attitude.

Mask guidelines were generally followed pretty well at Disney - maybe 40% of the people wore masks at Universal, where they're optional everywhere.

Really disappointed with the decline in customer service and generally poor cast member attitude.

We were there this past weekend and while we didn’t have any issues with CMs, I did notice a ton of new CMs that were still in training. Hopefully Disney still values customer service and instilling it in their new hires.

We are just back and found this thread helpful so I thought I’d update. We arrived at MCO at 10am Friday 9/3 and checked in and headed to animal kingdom. Used our Landry’s preferred seating at Y&Y to get quotes a half hour wait for a party of 6 while I heard parties of two being quoted an hour and a half. Everything there was a walk on except FOP was 15 minutes. Did Everest 2x, safari, triceratops 2x, kali River, saw some calvalcades got ice cream 3x and watched the otters all in the 3 hours after lunch was over. Rain hit as soon as we left.

9/4 we planned to be at MK until close and crowds were considerably higher. We still did thunder (10 mins), space (20 mins), magic carpets, aloha aisle, haunted mansion, Libertytree tavern (though we’re seated in diamond horseshoe) then had quite the luck with a grumpy crew in a 60 minute splash wait, we jumped out of line to the bathroom and got back in line to only a 15 minute wait and went down the mountain as fireworks started going off. Made for a magical moment. Crowds out of the park back to the contemporary were crazy so we walked it.

9/5 did brunch at ale&compass and pool.

9/6 after much practice got BG 24 only to get to HS at rope drop for the ride to be down (until 4/5pm). We did smugglers run 2x at rope drop (10-15 minutes utes), ronto roasters for breakfast, star tours (10 min) and our savi appointment then left. Everything else was plus 60 minutes an all we wanted was slinky and no way were we waiting in that line. Went back at 7 for our BG, got out and saw Rotr was down again. Did some shopping, did tot (14 minutes) and headed out.

I thought mask compliance was good. On the rotr transport a lady had her mask down and the CM was like you’re all coming with us and you, put your mask on you look ridiculous. It was pretty funny. We haven’t been in awhile and was nice to be back we had some good luck and had a great time.

Anyone there now to confirm if crowds have subsided after the holiday? I fly out tomorrow after work!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter