• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Here's my apology....

ndelaware

DIS Veteran
To those who commented about the dirty looks they get when they park in HC parking because they didn't appear to need to be parking there. I admit I am one of the ones who is quick to cast a dissaproving eye towards someone who doesn't appear to need HC parking. Neither I or my wife and kids have a disability, but when we travel with my mother, she brings her HC permit that hangs from the mirror. I hate parking there, I would much rather leave her at the curb and use the regular parking but there really isn't any getting close to drop off, that I have seen, for anyone not in a Disney bus. Since I am in the HC area I have seen lots of folks coming and going. And I got to tell you an awful lot of them do not appear to have any disability. I realize I am not a doctor or have personal knowledge of the ailments of the people I witnessed. But I have know several people (not friends) in my life who have finagled HC tags cause they knew someone in the local goverment and didn't truly have valid reason for having them. Most lived in the city and also had signs in front of their house that said disabled parking only. This was basically so they would have a spot saved for them in front of their house unlike most of the neighbors who had to hope they could park on their own block. Their only ailment was one of morality. So I start out suspicious due to personal knowledge of those who have abused the system.

To those who's ailment is not as apparent as some others, if I have offended you, I apologize, profusely. But believe it or not I really do have your interests at heart. Or at least I thought so. I hate the thought that someone who needs to use the handicapped parking area legitimately may not be able to because of some selfish jerk who feels the rules don't apply to him or her. And to the lady and her family who got out of their car with the HC permit on the mirror who started jogging to the park entrance in apparent great health Thursday morning, God will get you someday! For the rest of you I will tone down my dissaproving looks since I am certainly not as smart as I think I am.

Thanks for the apology.
There are people out there who do not legitimatly qualify for a handicapped parking permit - there were even news stories in our area a few years ago about University of Minnesota Basketball players who had and were using handicapped permit (on the active roster, not injured reserve). But, because you can't tell by looking, there is no way for a casual observer to tell who has a need and who doesn't. And, I think there is a general misunderstanding in the public - I bet that a lot of people think you have to use a wheelchair to qualify for a permit.

But, there are ways in place to deal with abuse; you do need to have a doctor certify the need and there are guidelines for what "need" is. (So, kowing someone in the department won't get someone a permit unless the person they know is breaking the law).
If there are doctors who are signing for permits without need, that's where enforcement has to start. We already know that some doctors have a hard time standing up to their patients for other things, so I think some of the permits get approved just because the patient asks for one, even though the doctor can't really certify the need (there is good data on doctors prescribing un-needed antibiotics for viral illnesses because the patients ask for them, when the doctor knows the antibiotics are not effective against viruses). The doctors are supposed to be gatekeepers for the whole process and if some are not doing that, they may need some education (and some penalties if they are really just signing the requests knowing they are without need).
My personal preference would be to sentence the doctors to use a wheelchair/ECV of have to simulate a qualifying disability for a few days - preferably in the winter, going Christmas shopping. That way they would have some idea about who needs a permit and why.

Just a question. How do I know you need the spot if you do not have a HC plate or rear view mirror hanger, get out of your car and walk at the same pace as I do into the store?

SueM in MN said:
My personal preference would be to sentence the doctors to use a wheelchair/ECV of have to simulate a qualifying disability for a few days - preferably in the winter, going Christmas shopping. That way they would have some idea about who needs a permit and why.
However, when I first asked my doctor about getting a handicap tag not only was he willing to sign for it, but he kind of indicated that he wondered why it took me so long to ask for one. I think that he was correct in not suggesting it to me but waiting until I felt that I needed one.

mickeyfan2 said:
Just a question. How do I know you need the spot if you do not have a HC plate or rear view mirror hanger, get out of your car and walk at the same pace as I do into the store?

Those people are breaking the law. The HP plate or placard is REQUIRED to park in a designated HP spot. If you're around home and have a cellphone, feel free to call your local police department's non-emergency number and report the location and give a description of the situation/vehicle.

Speaking of aggravating (okay, we weren't - but here goes anyway :)) the other day I pulled into a Dunkin Donuts. The drive-through line was about eight cars long, so I chose to park and go into the shop. I parked in a handicap space - with, of course, my placard in place - across the lot from the entrance. There were two cars parked directly in front of the door, in the 'no parking' zone - and one of them was blocking the curb cut. The legal parkings spaces are an addition FIFTEEN danged feet further away, but no, that's apparently too far to walk. Left the shop, a different car was parked in the same place! Next time, I'm leaving the house earlier and LEANING on any car parked there!

Cheshire Figment said:
However, when I first asked my doctor about getting a handicap tag not only was he willing to sign for it, but he kind of indicated that he wondered why it took me so long to ask for one. I think that he was correct in not suggesting it to me but waiting until I felt that I needed one.
As anything else, there are good doctors who follow the rules and do what is best for the patient. That sounds like the kind you had.

As for people parking across curb cuts, my bet is that most people doing it see the curb cut, but don't notice it and don't understand why it is important because whether or not it is blocked makes no difference to them personally. When I have (nicely) asked people to move so we could get in, their reactions have matched that. I see a need for education.

ndelaware said:
And to the lady and her family who got out of their car with the HC permit on the mirror who started jogging to the park entrance in apparent great health Thursday morning, God will get you someday! For the rest of you I will tone down my dissaproving looks since I am certainly not as smart as I think I am.

I just wanted to comment on this. I use our Handicap tag at Disney. I have a DS (7) who has a hip problem and some days it hurts and some days he is ok. When he walks or runs a lot the pain starts. I am sometimes embarrassed to use these spots since people looks at us when we all look like nothing is wrong. We also have a handicap stroller for him that looks like a stroller that we use when I know we are going to do a lot of walking and I cant tell you have many strange looks we get. Especially when he gets up and runs around. I have to use the GAC pass at Disney since our Ortho does not want him standing for long periods of time and wants us to use our stroller as a wheelchair and I can tell you that I always see people looking at us. I just wanted to point out that you cant always tell and as for me it makes me feel ashamed because I know people are thinking "look at that little boy being pushed around when nothing is wrong with him" or why are they using the handicap spot when they look normal.

May I contribute?

I am eligible for a handicapped tag. I had one in Maryland, but haven't applied for one here in Florida. My vascular surgeon has recommended I get one, but I haven't felt the need (yet)

To look at me, you'd never know the chronic issues. I try to ignore them. I walk normally (for now) and look perfectly normal.

I have friends who do not look like they've got issues, but they sure do.

It's a similiar situation with my son's autism. He looks perfectly fine, adorable even. Spend five minutes with him, maybe 15 and you wouldn't know there is anything different about him. Spend a few hours, you would. Not that this would qualify for a HC placard, but more to explain that things aren't always as they appear.

All I ask of anyone is to not assume that those who are in those handicapped spots (I'm not one of them, currently-that may change) who look able bodied are truly able bodied. Think of heart disease, lung disease, lupus, MS, etc when you see those and realize that that person MAY be having the rare good day. Maybe they're having the best 15 minutes they've had all month.

It's because of those who abuse the system that my mom (with post polio syndrome) REFUSED to get a tag until the last 6 months she was alive. She didn't want to have someone give her a hard time that she was taking a handicapped spot away from someone who really needed it.

Although I have recently begun to show my son's GAC for the medical parking (thanks to a poster here) and that is a huge help for both of us-each of us have bad days for different reasons.

Suzanne

Poohnatic said:
Although I have recently begun to show my son's GAC for the medical parking (thanks to a poster here) and that is a huge help for both of us-each of us have bad days for different reasons.
Suzanne -- A word of warning. If you are using the GAC to allow special parking only use one of the "reserved" spaces at the start of a row near the trams. If you park in the regular Medical Parking, with the blue siigns and stripes, you can get a $250 ticket from Orange County Sheriff's office, which patrols the lots.

CF, I'm not parking in the blue spots. Thanks for the caution, though. I don't want to incur a fine or take a spot away from someone else.

BTW, was over at your park twice this past week and was keeping an eye out for you.

Suzanne

Mish said:
I just wanted to comment on this. ..... I just wanted to point out that you cant always tell and as for me it makes me feel ashamed because I know people are thinking "look at that little boy being pushed around when nothing is wrong with him" or why are they using the handicap spot when they look normal.

We had that problem too - the "good" news is that eventually he will grow enough to require a bigger chair that will look more wheelchair-ish. My son was in his stroller type chair till he was around 9 I think. Eventually I got used to the looks and realized that some people are uninformed. (a nice way of saying stupid and rude) :teeth:

I think your post is a perfect example of why I tell my kids not too judge - we just do NOT know.

Just my two cents... my son was diagnosed this past summer with Legg- Calves Perthes disease. His femoral head is detoriating. (thats the bone that goes in the hip socket) He was in a stroller for a while and a lot of the time I would carry him into the store and put him in a shopping cart. Our dr. signed for a handicap permit and I sure appreciate it! Especially when I was carrying his 47lbs! The looks I would get were horrible because I look able and he looks like a normal, boy being carried by his mom or riding in cart/stroller. It was almost like I had to justfiy my handicap status.
My son is now in a wheelchair at 4 years old. Thankfully, his bone will regrow and eventually he will be able to participate like everyone else. Now that I have a wheelchair it's almost like that is the only "accepted" form of being handicapped.
We are going to WDW in February and I am not sure what to expect, but I hope there won't be anyone juding my son as he steps out of the car, until they see a wheelchair coming out of the trunk.
Sorry to ramble, but this a sore subject with me!

lisabarr said:
Just my two cents... my son was diagnosed this past summer with Legg- Calves Perthes disease. His femoral head is detoriating. (thats the bone that goes in the hip socket)

Lisabarr, My son has the same exact condition. We are almost 2 years into it with no sign of regrowth. He is 7. If you ever want to talk please email me at Soa413@aol.com. Michelle

Just wanted to add one more reason someone who doesn't look like they need HC parking might be seen parking in a HC space. I sometimes drop one of my daughters (who use power chairs) and their care giver off at the mall. I go up to the door to hold it open for them, then walk back to our van. I am not disabled and have never ever not once parked in a HC space unless one of my daughters was with me *and* getting out of the van; however, when I drop them off or pick them up, I have to put the van in one in order to have the striped space next to it to let the ramp out. I do sometimes see people looking suspiciously at me. I should have thicker skin, but it bothers me that people think I am cheating when my daughter is nowhere in sight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter