HH with an 12 and 14 year old

dairyou

DIS Veteran
DVC Silver
Can the HH experts please tell me what my 12 and 14 year old can do there? We've been on DCL cruise, which my oldest loved! Hanging out with his friends till 1:00am was the thrill for him. My 12 year old loves WDW, but we're trying to do something different. We have frequent flyer miles so don't have to pay for airfare.

I guess my concern is: We know we love going to WDW and DCL because there is always something to do. If we don't want to do anything we like hanging out at the pools or our room. Will we be too bored at HH?

Thanks!

Deb

If they like beaches, nature, and the ocean, there is certainly plenty to do at HH. I knew I would like HH as a golfer, but we were surprised at how much we enjoyed our stay as a family for one night after our cruise in July 2003 (DSD was 13 yo then). We liked it so much we bought into the resort as a small add on so that we could be sure to be able to visit in a studio at high season once every couple years. I would encourage you to read these boards as there has been a wealth of information about fun things to do at HH (many of which can be done without leaving the resort!). The resort pool at HH is also quite relaxing, and there is also a nice pool at the Disney Beach House that abuts the ocean about a mile from the resort itself.

From my DD13 and DD17.....kayaking (the shrimp jumped in and the dolphins came right up), dolphin tours, nature walks, bike riding to the beach, boogie board at the beach, fishing and crabbing, cooking your catch, watching the cute guys (well, mom doesn't like this one!), shopping, teen night out (with Hottie Scottie life guard!), sleeping in, swimming, the campfire and all American cook out night, being on your own at the resort- using your card to eat "out", going to the beach house, feeling grown up!

My kids (other 2 are DD8 and DS9) LOVE HH almost more than WDW. It is laid back, but gives the kids more independence. We are planning on going to HH after WDW to relax and regroup as a family. Eat meals in (well, even on the deck) as much as eat out. Its different, but nice. My younger ones like shadow, the fish-shirt painting and the beach walks as well. It is not WDW. It is slower. It is hot (we usually go in July). We wouldn't trade it for the world. We have fallen in love with the area so much my DD17 is looking at colleges in the area (USC and SCAD). Hope she chooses one in the area- because we would love to buy more points and stay more often!!!

My kids are younger but we absolutely love Hilton Head. It's a great family vacation but very different from WDW or a Disney cruise.

We just came off the member cruise and I can tell you that HH is very different from a cruise atmospher. The resort plans some activities but nothing like the kids will get from the lab on the ship.

If your kids enjoy the beach and pool, as well as shopping and dining out, they will be fine at Hilton Head. If your looking for constant activities, I don't think your going to find it at HH.

Some of the things already mentioned are at an additonal cost (dolphin tours, teens night out). Something to think about as your planning. Also, I don't believe kayaking was available through the resort anymore -- it wasn't in July when we were there.

cgcw...My kids never did the activities on the ship :( I always thought they looked like fun, but never could get them to go. That should not be a problem then...I hope :) They do like to swim and go to the beach. That is our favorite thing to do!

Val...thanks so much for the info. Since I have to boys, I don't think they will like the shopping part (I will!) or the looking at cute boys ;)

Doctor P...my husband loves golfing as well as my 14 year old. Can you believe I even forgot about that!

Can you guys tell me about how much spending money I should bring? I know at WDW we bring money for park tickets and souveniers, but what about at HH. We are totally into nature, so I'm sure we'll want to do those activities. Any clues?

BTW...thanks for all your help!

Deb

My DS9 says that some of the girls and girl lifeguards were "hot" too- although I am not really sure he knows what that means.....and if he does it's time to put him in a locked room for many, many years!

Boys will probably enjoy the games, the kayaking and the beach boogie boarding. While there are costs for the activities they are minimal- maybe $25 for a 2.5 hour kayaking, $20 for teen night out (pizza + movie + transportation and supervision isn't too bad). We bought a boogey board for around $25 and have hung it on my son's wall. We will take it with us next year.

It is not non-stop activity, but more laid back. We were still busy and active. We had our minivan- and found a GREAT beach at Hunting Island (B'lou Crabbe told us about it!). We also liked Savannah...great river front area.

dairyou said:
Can you guys tell me about how much spending money I should bring? I know at WDW we bring money for park tickets and souveniers, but what about at HH. We are totally into nature, so I'm sure we'll want to do those activities. Any clues?

Dolphin trip arranged through the resort is $30/per person. Beach Combing arranged through the resort is $50/per person. Shark fishing, also through the resort, is $275-$300 (I think). I'm sure there are other options but we've always been more than happy with Captain Scott who does these tours through Disney.

Bike rental is $50/2 bikes, $10 each additional bike for length of stay.

Tuesday Night BBQ is $19.95/adult (I think). Thursday night Shrimp Boil is a bit more $24.95/adult (I think).

One trip we took a trip to Pinckney Island with the resort. I don't remember it being offered this past July but it would be certainly something you could do on your own. It was a nice nature walk through the Island on well marked paths.

cgcw said:
One trip we took a trip to Pinckney Island with the resort. I don't remember it being offered this past July but it would be certainly something you could do on your own. It was a nice nature walk through the Island on well marked paths.

Just thought I would mention that you can do these trails self guided as well for free. There are pamplets available at Pinckney showing the trails. You may also bike at Pinckney, if I remember correctly. That would be bring your own personal bike. They don't have them AT Pinckney. Also, bring a water bottle - no concession stands.

There are less expensive dolphin tours, just with larger crowds. I think I would prefer the one that costs more, but if you have a large group and $30 per person is too much, yet $15 is acceptable, the $15 tour will get you out for a nice boat ride and a possible dolphin sighting. :sunny:

My older kids like it better than WDW. (16, 14) My younger kids rate it equal in fun (10, 8).

Just rent bikes and give them some freedom.

Sounds great everyone! I was getting ready to make our reservation and then duhh.... I can't book! I need to wait for the 7 month window. I'm glad I didn't call MS. They probably would think I'm not too bright!

Guess I'll have to wait until November to book. Hopefully there will still be rooms available :( If not, I guess it's WDW again... oh darn :rotfl2:

Deb

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter