HHI LOVERS THREAD

It's been a while. According to a quick search, maybe 2014? They're supposed to be going through a full refurbishment in 2022 according to Blog Mickey. Whether that happens now, :confused3?
Hope so..it’s the “off color “ green“ I think of the carpets that may make them look more dated and worn. Would hope that when they do a refurbishment in the future, the color of the carpets would be more tasteful that that “Off color Green"

Last edited:
SMOKING section at Big Dipper Pool...! :eek: :(
For all HH owners or those who stay often...We have mostly used the Beachhouse pool in the past including this trip and have only used the Big Dipper Pool on occasion.
However, we were at Big Dipper Pool one day and was very unpleasantly surprised by a SMOKING section right in the pool area, closest to the lounge chair section opposite the kiddie pool area.
We were really caught off guard trying to relax on our first day. We started to smell smoke and we were like huh? Where can that possibly be coming from. Sure enough, we looked to our left from our chaise lounges and umbrella and see a gentlemen smoking. We spoke with lifeguard, on property management at Disney HH and come to understand that this is clearly a designated smoking area, along with 2 others which are much less conspicuous and not near a widely used public area like this. This is how I feel as a non smoker. Move the 3rd smoking area to another area.
I did ask the question if they have received other complaints by members regarding smoking at the Big Dipper Pool and local manager responded that they have not! Kind of surprising!:eek::eek::scratchin
We strongly believe that puts non smoking guests at risk for second hand smoke and our health is compromised! By doing this, the health and well being of the majority of pool users, children and non smoking guests is compromised for the smokers who use the smoking area.
Has anyone else here raised the issue of allowing smoking in a smoking section at the Big Dipper Pool?
I immediately discussed with property management and have escalated the Smoking policy to DVC management.
Totally threw us off guard as we don't remember seeing this at any of the resorts(we have visited all of them so far)
We were VERY UNHAPPY:( being exposed to smoking while trying to relax or swim!

Do they have high chairs available at the resort? Traveling with a 18 mo

If you mean in the villas, I'm pretty sure they do. They're in the closet, at least in the 1 BR. However, I don't remember them at Signals or Tide Me Over-they may have them, but since our need for a high chair is LONG past, I didn't look.

SMOKING section at Big Dipper Pool...! :eek: :(
For all HH owners or those who stay often...We have mostly used the Beachhouse pool in the past including this trip and have only used the Big Dipper Pool on occasion.
However, we were at Big Dipper Pool one day and was very unpleasantly surprised by a SMOKING section right in the pool area, closest to the lounge chair section opposite the kiddie pool area.
We were really caught off guard trying to relax on our first day. We started to smell smoke and we were like huh? Where can that possibly be coming from. Sure enough, we looked to our left from our chaise lounges and umbrella and see a gentlemen smoking. We spoke with lifeguard, on property management at Disney HH and come to understand that this is clearly a designated smoking area, along with 2 others which are much less conspicuous and not near a widely used public area like this. This is how I feel as a non smoker. Move the 3rd smoking area to another area.
I did ask the question if they have received other complaints by members regarding smoking at the Big Dipper Pool and local manager responded that they have not! Kind of surprising!:eek::eek::scratchin
We strongly believe that puts non smoking guests at risk for second hand smoke and our health is compromised! By doing this, the health and well being of the majority of pool users, children and non smoking guests is compromised for the smokers who use the smoking area.
Has anyone else here raised the issue of allowing smoking in a smoking section at the Big Dipper Pool?
I immediately discussed with property management and have escalated the Smoking policy to DVC management.
Totally threw us off guard as we don't remember seeing this at any of the resorts(we have visited all of them so far)
We were VERY UNHAPPY:( being exposed to smoking while trying to relax or swim!

it wasn’t an issue for us ever - there are multiple smoking sections all over the resort. one is also at the beach house right inside, by the ping pong table.
I totally understand your point but at the same time I don’t understand the outrage. There are also smoking sections all over other DVC properties. I would rather have someone smoking in a designated section than have them on their balcony. Also - this is South Carolina. I don’t know that they’ll ban smoking at a resort ever.
Personally, I don’t recall having an issue with even smelling the smoke when we’ve been there.

Like I said - placement wise it does seem a bit odd but then did you ask to be moved?

it wasn’t an issue for us ever - there are multiple smoking sections all over the resort. one is also at the beach house right inside, by the ping pong table.
I totally understand your point but at the same time I don’t understand the outrage. There are also smoking sections all over other DVC properties. I would rather have someone smoking in a designated section than have them on their balcony. Also - this is South Carolina. I don’t know that they’ll ban smoking at a resort ever.
Personally, I don’t recall having an issue with even smelling the smoke when we’ve been there.

Like I said - placement wise it does seem a bit odd but then did you ask to be moved?
Why would a guest have to move and be inconvenienced for a smoker? No , as I said in my post, I took the proper steps, gathered the facts from the lifeguard and then spoke with management. If there is a smoking area by a ping pong table, that’s just as bad![/QUOTE]

Why would a guest have to move and be inconvenienced for a smoker? No , as I said in my post, I took the proper steps, gathered the facts from the lifeguard and then spoke with management. If there is a smoking area by a ping pong table, that’s just as bad!
[/QUOTE]

Not to be contrary, but as far as why a guest would have to move - it is a "designated" smoking area - meaning, the smoker is doing what they should be doing where they should be doing it. Whereas your pool chair isn't your designated area. You can move. The smoker "can't".

If you know a spot is a smoking spot and you don't smoke, don't sit next to it and complain that you can smell smoke is basically what I'm saying - not you directly but "you" third person.

And my point about bringing up the other smoking spot is, you mentioned that you spent more of your time there - but I'm guessing you never had an issue? So i guess it's not "just as bad"?

Also to be clear I don't smoke. I would love it if they went smoke free totally. But because people are standing where they should be, I wont complain about it, I'll just move.
If someone is on their balcony and smoking - 100% i will complain. But until they go totally smoke free, compliance with dedicated smoking areas is all I can ask for.

Not to be contrary, but as far as why a guest would have to move - it is a "designated" smoking area - meaning, the smoker is doing what they should be doing where they should be doing it. Whereas your pool chair isn't your designated area. You can move. The smoker "can't".

If you know a spot is a smoking spot and you don't smoke, don't sit next to it and complain that you can smell smoke is basically what I'm saying - not you directly but "you" third person.

And my point about bringing up the other smoking spot is, you mentioned that you spent more of your time there - but I'm guessing you never had an issue? So i guess it's not "just as bad"?

Also to be clear I don't smoke. I would love it if they went smoke free totally. But because people are standing where they should be, I wont complain about it, I'll just move.
If someone is on their balcony and smoking - 100% i will complain. But until they go totally smoke free, compliance with dedicated smoking areas is all I can ask for.
[/QUOTE]No, that is not all “you can ask for”. You can ask for a reasonable policy which protects guests from second hand smoke! Don’t point the finger at the victims! HHI policy Of placement of smoking areas does not protect its guests from second hand smoke, that is our position.Next time you are there, move YOUR chair right next to the smoking area and I’m certain if you are a non smoker you will be nauseous! 😡

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]No, that is not all “you can ask for”. You can ask for a reasonable policy which protects guests from second hand smoke!
[/QUOTE]

I'm curious - What would satisfy you in this situation? No more smoking spots at all? Just move the one by the pool somewhere else?

The reality is that the resort has smoking areas. Just exactly like other DVC resorts as well as Disney resorts in general.

So what are you upset about? That they are too close to where you were? What about if you walk by one - will you complain that it's in your path? Or will you just not walk by it?

Again - if i had my druthers I would ask it to go totally smoke free. But that isn't happening. So personally, I don't sit next to a smoking area.
I don't walk by them and I make sure to request rooms that aren't near them.

Surprised that all the folks who reserve rooms at HHI who post regularly on this thread have not commented. I have said my peace! The matter has been escalated. I have followed the proper chanels! Did anyone hear of the saying “ tell it like it is?”Just saying! Anyone that has COPD, asthma,or emphysema, spend your time at the beach or at the beach pool..stay far away until there is consideration to a change in policy!

I'm glad you expressed your concern!!!!!!!

I will continue to enjoy the entire resort and just be mindful of the smoking sections....

I'm glad you expressed your concern!!!!!!!

I will continue to enjoy the entire resort and just be mindful of the smoking sections....

Yes, the back end of the resort, between building 30 and 31, where the 2 adirondack chairs are, used to be a smoking section. Then when we were there, I happened to mention at the front desk that I was disappointed that they'd turned one of my favorite spots into a smoking area. Next visit-Poof! Smoking section gone!

just checked into my studio. I didn’t look before hand the size of the studio. We’re we surprised how big it is. I googled and it’s the biggest studio dvc has. Great views. Only complaint you can tell this was made before cell phones became really popular. Outlets are in poor spots. Tomorrow check in to a one bedroom for three nights. I see Polynesian is the second biggest that’s a surprised. I knew old key west was big.

just checked into my studio. I didn’t look before hand the size of the studio. We’re we surprised how big it is. I googled and it’s the biggest studio dvc has. Great views. Only complaint you can tell this was made before cell phones became really popular. Outlets are in poor spots. Tomorrow check in to a one bedroom for three nights. I see Polynesian is the second biggest that’s a surprised. I knew old key west was big.
We love the 1BRs at DHHIR. They are roomy! Not quite as large as OKW but much larger than most of the WDW DVC properties. Our last trip we stayed in a handicap accessible 1BR right off the main lobby (we did not book a handicap unit--they assigned us one). I didn't think I'd like it but boy, was I wrong! Being right there next to the lobby offered us a 2nd restroom when we needed it as it was just a few steps from our door to the lobby restroom. The balcony was HUGE and we had lots of amenities right there at the bottom of the stairs. Covered parking if you can get it. Most of the 1BRs are in the main lodge.

Do they do daily trash at Hilton head like they do in wdw? Just want to know if someone will come to the room? TIA

Sitting on the balcony last night I was very surprised there were no bugs. I mean bugs that bother you. I could hear lots but had no mosquitos or the other kind of bugs that bother you. Very very nice.
Great to hear. I'm a mosquito magnet. We went to Vero once and I ended up covered in mosquito bites after an afternoon of mini golf at the resort. Now that I think of it, I don't remember getting bitten up like that at Hilton Head.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter