HHI LOVERS THREAD

Nope, not a reference to Shadow. I have been nicknamed each of these by various Groupies on the VWL thread, and it's long been part of my signature line. pirate: None.
Again, nope! Apparently, Pluto is much shorter than I am. I will say, guests at HHI will have increased Pluto sightings in the days, weeks, and months ahead. :thumbsup2

Speaking of things at the resort, I did a quick check of the official web page for DHHIR, and there are a few inaccuracies. First, there is no ping-pong table at the main resort location nor shuffleboard, both listed as activities there. (Note: There is a ping-pong table at the Beach House.) Second, there is mention of playing card games and board games in Community Hall--that isn't happening, either. Currently, only paid activities occur there such as wreath-making. Finally, they list Big Buoy video games arcade as an amenity at the Beach House--that hasn't existed for years. And, while not totally inaccurate, they mention people being able to watch a sporting event on a "big screen TV" in Surfman's Station at the Beach House. While it's not a small TV, I wouldn't call 36" big screen, either. I bring these items up because there was a guest recently who got rather annoyed upon arriving at the Beach House with her three young sons wanting to know where the video game arcade was located as stated on the official website. :scared:

The outdoor shuffleboard playing area used to be near the steps to Tide Me Over and you would get the sticks and pucks from Recreation. Since I didn't play it, I never actually noticed that they removed it. The triangles were painted on the concrete pad.

The ping pong table was under the covered area to the right as you go inside the gate that leads to Recreation. They would cover the table and use it for crafts on occasion.

My kids used to play in the 'tiny' video game arcade. There wasn't too much in there, but when younger they enjoyed it.

TV's have definitely gotten bigger! But back when I first came to the resort, the TV was considered large. I don't think too many people spend a lot of time watching television at the Beach House. Personally I would go to the Beach House and relax in that room while waiting for rooms to be ready when arriving early. Great place for cool air in the summer heat for us older folk. Last time there, (March 2020) the TV didn't work. Hopefully it's fixed by now.

I don't know if it's been mentioned here, but I just saw on the resort's Facebook page where a CM was painting over Shadow's name on her doggie door at the recreation window and repainting the area to look like it's part of the wall, not specifically "Shadow" related. How sad!

I don't know if it's been mentioned here, but I just saw on the resort's Facebook page where a CM was painting over Shadow's name on her doggie door at the recreation window and repainting the area to look like it's part of the wall, not specifically "Shadow" related. How sad!
That is soooo disappointing! We just bought a Shadow stuffy at the Mercantile in September. Surely they wouldn’t phase the mascot character out completely!?

The outdoor shuffleboard playing area used to be near the steps to Tide Me Over and you would get the sticks and pucks from Recreation. Since I didn't play it, I never actually noticed that they removed it. The triangles were painted on the concrete pad.

The ping pong table was under the covered area to the right as you go inside the gate that leads to Recreation. They would cover the table and use it for crafts on occasion.

My kids used to play in the 'tiny' video game arcade. There wasn't too much in there, but when younger they enjoyed it.

TV's have definitely gotten bigger! But back when I first came to the resort, the TV was considered large. I don't think too many people spend a lot of time watching television at the Beach House. Personally I would go to the Beach House and relax in that room while waiting for rooms to be ready when arriving early. Great place for cool air in the summer heat for us older folk. Last time there, (March 2020) the TV didn't work. Hopefully it's fixed by now.
The BH is a great place to go to relax and wait for your room come available. Once you've checked in, of course, you have all the amenities of the resort at your disposal. The BH bathrooms have small, gym-style lockers and a large changing/showering room in both the men's and women's bathrooms. Surfman's Station (masks required as it's an indoor location) is a nice place to unwind and, yes, even watch TV--it works now! Naturally, the pool is available, as is a stroll along the beach.
And so an era ends.

And so an era ends.

The paw prints are still in the tiles in the villas, or has there been a change there?

Shadow started out as a legend to begin with, where workers building the resort would catch a glimpse of her, and then she would be gone.

Later on, Shadow became 'real' and visited with B'Lou as the handler, mostly, and would be part of some activities as well as just lie there while the kids pet/touched her. The doghouse and doggie door were not always there.

And since I doubt there are a lot of young ones reading here, I've seen a number of Shadows over the years. Shadow will live on for many of us as a legend from whence the idea of a resort dog sprung.

I don't see Pluto as a replacement but more as an addition to the resort. Characters have not always been part of the magic. But, it's probably easier to present a character on occasion than maintain a living, breathing Golden Retriever who visits several times a week.

And finding and training the special dog who will remain calm in groups of 25 or 30 at times and that will safely allow random children to approach and touch and hug and pet them can't be super easy.

I'm hopeful the Shadow legend will continue and, yes, the paw prints are still visible in the tiles currently (there is a major refurb coming next year with a few suites out of inventory being used as "test" rooms, so who knows for the future), and there are also prints in the pathways around the resort in a few locations. I'm a little concerned for the future of Shadow in the sense that he is not well known to many (a lot of first-timers visit the resort attempting to use points they banked during the early covid months) and, if they are indeed doing things like painting over Shadow's doggie door, then we may see the legend of Shadow become more of a distant memory.

Pluto is a welcome addition and obviously an attempt to make up for the lack of Shadow and B'Lou. In the past, Pluto made rare appearances; going forward, Pluto will be seen routinely around the resort. That's great for kids (and parents), and with the absence of Shadow, there has been a void in the HHI charm. Thus, Pluto will be a good--if not comparable--substitute. And from a strictly financial point of view, yes, much easier to maintain a Pluto than a live animal especially from a liability perspective. In fact, Pluto likely won't cost the resort (or Disney) any extra money at all.

B’Lou is also missing??
I'm not sure missing is the proper term...he and Shadow went on an extended vacation (fishing trip, actually). They simply aren't returning.

I saw B'Lou last in early 2020, before closure - I was there when the resort closed and the cookies and drink disappeared due to the virus.

Not sure if he came back after it opened or not as I didn't go this past spring, although DD took the grands and enjoyed my villa.

You can catch B'Lou and Shadow on youtube, for those wanting some nostalgia.

Oh well. They will be missed.

I wonder if Unca Banjo is still at VB. I enjoy his music!

I saw B'Lou last in early 2020, before closure - I was there when the resort closed and the cookies and drink disappeared due to the virus.

Not sure if he came back after it opened or not as I didn't go this past spring, although DD took the grands and enjoyed my villa.

You can catch B'Lou and Shadow on youtube, for those wanting some nostalgia.
B'Lou and Shadow did not return after re-opening and neither did the coffee or cookies. Murgie's Den is open now to come sit, watch TV, or play some pool; of course, guests must still wear masks at all indoor locations in accordance with Disney policy. Outside Murgie's Den, there have been occasional Low Country Kitchens, generally on Saturday afternoons, where a variety of adult beverages are offered for $10 (non-alcoholic drinks are $6). I'm not certain how much longer these will go on, and they're not listed on the monthly activities sheet--they're more of a pop-up sort of venue. But, guests can ask whether one is planned while they are there.

Last edited:
B'Lou and Shadow did not return after re-opening and neither did the coffee or cookies. Murgie's Den is open now to come sit, watch TV, or play some pool; of course, guests must still wear masks at all indoor locations in accordance with Disney policy. Outside Murgie's Den, there have been occasional Low Country Kitchens, generally on Saturday afternoons, where a variety of adult beverages are offered for $10 (non-alcoholic drinks are $6). I'm not certain how much longer these will go on, and they're not listed on the monthly activities sheet--they're more of a pop-up sort of venue. But, guests can ask whether one is planned while they are there.
We enjoyed the fall food during our last trip! It is a neat idea about the Low Country Kitchens.
My DD1 loved seeing Pluto for the first time! The pictures we got are hilarious since this was her first character.

Disney has always stopped and started storylines--it's in their DNA. Same goes with performers. I will say that within the petition itself, I found the closing lines about DHHIR being an "inferior product" without B'Lou and Shadow to be dispiriting, as if the only thing worthwhile about the resort were those two characters. I know it stings to lose something you hold dear--I'm not a fan of the loss of wilderness at the Wilderness Lodge when they built the Cascade Cabins, for example. Lacking that entertainment, I would urge guests to enjoy the other beautiful and endearing aspects of a visit to DHHIR--there is much to love. :thumbsup2

The news about B'lou and Shadow is very sad. It was part of the charm of the resort.

Can someone please keep us updated about Shadow merchandise? Has it already been removed from the Mercantile or will it continue to be sold for awhile?

Thanks in advance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter