*HHI Owners and Beach Lovers Group Thread*

Down to double digits - 99 days until our trip!

Does anyone have a photographer they can recommend on HHI? I’d love to get some pictures done while we’re there.

It’s different from MDE check in. Usually get email 10? I think days ahead with a link to check in using a different system. However, still have to stop by desk to check in. Very smooth process at the desk though to set up room charges to key, get parking pass and layout of resort.
Thanks- I finally figured it out after a lot of frustration. It used to be separate from MDE check in but now it's not- the link they sent forced me to go through MDE. I had to link my reservation to MDE (again, I've never had to do that before for a non-park hotel) and then it would finally let me check in. So strange. Just sharing that info here now in case any other old-timers see this and need to know what is different.

Hi all! We are OKW owners excited about our first trip to HHI for a week in early August! Me, husband, and daughters 21 and 15. I will probably have lots more questions, but for now I'm wondering about the beach and whether there are any beach chairs/umbrellas supplied there or able to be rented for the day? And also if anyone has a particular recommended dolphin/fireworks cruise to book from Shelter Cove? Thanks!

Hi all! We are OKW owners excited about our first trip to HHI for a week in early August! Me, husband, and daughters 21 and 15. I will probably have lots more questions, but for now I'm wondering about the beach and whether there are any beach chairs/umbrellas supplied there or able to be rented for the day? And also if anyone has a particular recommended dolphin/fireworks cruise to book from Shelter Cove? Thanks!

Chair rentals:

http://www.shorebeach.com/index.php/rentals

I should add that many people just pick up chairs at Walmart, Target, CVS and many ditch them at end of stay. I carry my chair (and umbrella when it's hot) with me in my car.
In fact, if you do buy inexpensive chairs/umbrellas, you may leave them with the CMs at the Beach House before you leave for good. They have a small storage area where they place them and can give to another family. Alternately, you can leave them outside your door the day you leave and drop a note on here, other applicable DisBoard threads, or on other social media sites. You'd be surprised how easy it is to pay it forward. Have a great trip!

We bought collapsable beach chairs from Amazon that we take with us every trip. They fold into a small nylon bag the size of a camp table. Very easy to throw in the car or put in a suitcase. Last year our DGS used one to watch Bluey on Disney+ in the room.

The ones we got are Oileus Low Beach Chairs on Amazon. We've had them for a few years now and are really happy with that purchase.

Last edited:
In fact, if you do buy inexpensive chairs/umbrellas, you may leave them with the CMs at the Beach House before you leave for good. They have a small storage area where they place them and can give to another family. Alternately, you can leave them outside your door the day you leave and drop a note on here, other applicable DisBoard threads, or on other social media sites. You'd be surprised how easy it is to pay it forward. Have a great trip!
New Shuttle!

Attachments

• IMG_0678.jpg
    IMG_0678.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 37
Here are some pictures from this month!
1. Lodge on 3rd floor room
2. Pluto
3. sunset

Attachments

• IMG_0680.jpg
    IMG_0680.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0681.jpg
    IMG_0681.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0685.jpg
    IMG_0685.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 29
That's great info, Sleepy! I see some people leaving chairs in underground parking occasionally and wonder if they are donations or just someone who trusts enough to 'store' their chair here day to day. In either case I wouldn't touch. But, I often have seen chairs propped against the garbage cans.

We bought collapsable beach chairs from Amazon that we take with us every trip. They fold into a small nylon bag the size of a camp table. Very easy to throw in the car or put in a suitcase. Last year our DGS used one to watch Bluey on Disney+ in the room.

The ones we got are Oileus Low Beach Chairs on Amazon. We've had them for a few years now and are really happy with that purchase.
We did the same thing but went with cliq chairs. Fold up small, yet very sturdy.

Yay! Thanks to Southwest, we just reserved our annual Thanksgiving Pilgrimage to DHHIR. Twelve nights! Plus DH just asked that next spring we go to DHHIR for our anniversary (usually we go to WDW). Now I feel I can really start planning.

Hi all~we are arriving in 2 weeks YAAA!! excited as this is our first trip to the DHHIR ( 5 of us are going) however I am feeling overwhelmed! Couple questions I hope someone can answer~I need some good restaurant ideas, which grocery stores are close by, do you rent a bike and ride it to the beach or just take the shuttle, and what activities do they offer at the resort?

Hi all~we are arriving in 2 weeks YAAA!! excited as this is our first trip to the DHHIR ( 5 of us are going) however I am feeling overwhelmed! Couple questions I hope someone can answer~I need some good restaurant ideas, which grocery stores are close by, do you rent a bike and ride it to the beach or just take the shuttle, and what activities do they offer at the resort?
Grocery stores: A huge Kroger is in the neighboring Shelter Cove Town Centre--you can drive there in two minutes, bike it in five, or walk it in about 12-15. On the far side of the town center, there is a Whole Foods. Five minutes away via car, you can hit Fresh Market, and another five minutes past the Fresh Market will take you to Publix. So, you have plentiful options, all within just minutes from the resort.
Bikes: Many people prefer to bike around the island, and with something like 100 miles of bike trails, you can get just about anyplace you wish on a bicycle. The Beach House is 1.5 miles away from the actual resort, and you can bike to it, walk to it, drive to it, or take the shuttle. The bike path actually goes underneath the main road that goes through heart of the island, the Wm Hilton Pkwy. Thus, it is safe to bike or walk there. The only issue some have with biking, other than perhaps being out of shape, is that if you want to take items to the beach, you have to figure out a way to haul them. You can rent bikes from the resort, but not until you arrive which means you risk the chance of there not being any, especially during the summer. You can use other offsite bike rental agencies, and they will deliver and pickup.
Other transportation: By driving or taking the shuttle, there is less issue with hauling beach gear. Should you wish to drive, the front desk will give you a parking pass that will get you through the guard gate on your way to the Beach House. At this time of year, if you wish to drive over, you really need to be at the Beach House before 10-10:15 to get a parking spot as there are limited spaces.
Resort activities: Usually the activities sheet doesn't appear until right before the beginning of the month; however, the one above from June is going to be similar to July's. It should give you an idea of what goes on. Perhaps someone will post the July one when it appears. You will also get one when you check in. You can't reserve/pay for your activities until you get there, anyway. In addition to the paid activities, there are yard games around the resort: corn hole (next to Bldg 18), horseshoes (next to Bldg 13 and behind Bldg 17), putting green (Bldg 20), playground (Bldg 24), basketball (Bldg 16), and bocci ball & giant checkers near Bldg 28. There is a ping-pong table near the Tide Me Over area, and there is a pool table in Murggie's Den at the main building next to the front desk. Over at the Beach House, there is a pool table, ping-pong table, corn hole, and foosball. There are grills all over the resort, both propane and charcoal--you have to provide your own charcoal. Grilling utensils can be requested from by calling the front desk. Further, there are numerous hammocks, benches, and chairs where you can simply relax. Finally, take in fishing or crabbing from the pier near Tide Me Over--just buy or check out your equipment from the guest window near the Big Dipper Pool.
Restaurants: This is a difficult one because there are hundreds of restaurants on the island, and everyone will have his/her favorites. Personally, I don't bother with BBQ, diner, or burger type places--those you can find anywhere. For seafood, you have lots of great choices, and while I will give you my short list, others will surely make other recommendations and will be just as valid.
Fishcamp on Broad Creek--My favorite and you can make reservations unlike many other places. Very good raw bar and a superb shrimp and grits.
Skull Creek Boathouse--Very good, extensive menu, best low country boil around, no reservations. Get there very early or prepare to wait a long time.
Hudson's on the Dock--Also good but like Skull Creek Boathouse, they don't take reservations so be prepared to wait.
Ela's on the Water--Right across the marina from the resort--walk it in 10 minutes. Good food, service, views, and they take reservations.
If you want the best Italian for a change of pace, Nunzio's, Michael Anthony's, and OMBRA Cucina are all excellent with the nod going to Nunzio's as the best. All three take reservations. Finally, for a very good pastry or savory baked item, Hilton Head Social Bakery--also just across the marina--is superb if pricey (raspberry macaron--$8).

Well, I think that about answers all your questions for now. Enjoy!

When at the beach house, is there a way to get to the beach without going into the BH itself? I have a cart I like to use to haul all of our crap and I'd love to go around the BH if possible. It looks like I can do it when I check Google maps, but I just want to see if my assumption is correct.

When at the beach house, is there a way to get to the beach without going into the BH itself? I have a cart I like to use to haul all of our crap and I'd love to go around the BH if possible. It looks like I can do it when I check Google maps, but I just want to see if my assumption is correct.
Yes, easily. There is a public access path directly to the side of the BH with plenty of bike racks there and underneath the BH itself.

That's great info, Sleepy! I see some people leaving chairs in underground parking occasionally and wonder if they are donations or just someone who trusts enough to 'store' their chair here day to day. In either case I wouldn't touch. But, I often have seen chairs propped against the garbage cans.
In the summer you can also utilize Finnegans Sharing Shack at Dreissen Beach to get free chairs, umbrellas, toys, etc and then donate them back at the end of your stay or keep them. Great resource we have on the Island.22394414-2BA2-4A4F-9FDA-3CA9EB4FFF2C.png

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter