High School Class of 2016/College Class 2020

My DD is planning to double major in Spanish and Biology. She is going the pre-med route.

My DD is majoring in International Business/Global Studies/Economics. She's taken Spanish in high school and is starting to take Manderin this semester and is taking it over the summer at CC so that she's not "behind" in her freshman year. She's already been accepted into 2 of her top schools business schools in their Honor's Program but is waiting for her top school - so we'll see what her decision will be!

My DD has no major planned. She's interested in everything!!! One of her college criteria was a school that offers a core allowing her to spend two years exploring.
She can also apply for a college program at Disney-a great way to extend time:) (seriously-it is why I ended up doing a CP-changed majors about 6 times before my CP)

My DD is majoring in geology/engineering although she isn't sure of specific focus yet.

OH. MY. WORD. My DD finally applied to her top 2 colleges today and I am glad she finally filled out the applications. :upsidedow Her mother *might* have made her sit down and fill it out under duress. :rolleyes1

She started her internship this week and is looking forward to work with the art studio and gallery owner, it is a great opportunity to learn about being a small business owner. Now to get all of my tax forms together and start working on her FAFSA. Her older brother has decided he is going to grad school in the fall so that will be both kids in college. I am glad he has decided to go back to school, but :scared:!

DD is majoring in Medical Lab Science. She is also broadly considering medical school. This degree would get her a job after four years, but is also pre-med if she decides to go that route.

I think she's finally settled on her college of choice. The only thing that would change her mind at this point would be getting an unexpected windfall scholarship to one of the other contenders. Most have offered similar amts, so we aren't really expecting any one school to offer more.

I tried my hardest to stay out her decision; but, oy... she picked the school that's 5 hours away. That's going to make visits pretty hard. :(
It's going to be so different here with just myself and the boys.

Yuk. I still have to resend the fafsa to more colleges. They only allow you 10 slots and I think DD applied to over 15...and I still don't have any w-2s or 1099s so I can't do my taxes and will have to update everything as soon as that's done. I'm tired of this whole thing and DD doesn't have a single acceptance (or rejection) yet.

I tried my hardest to stay out her decision; but, oy... she picked the school that's 5 hours away. That's going to make visits pretty hard. :(
I know where you are coming from! DD applied to 7 schools, only one in state, and that one is 3 hours away from us. If she decides on the farthest away (her #1 choice), she will be almost 11 hours from home. We have had an' empty nest' since the beginning of junior year because she lives at boarding school 150 miles away, but if she goes THAT far away, we will probably only see her a few times a year. She is an only, so we are going to be truly alone once she leaves.

Wow- I'm making myself sad.

I know where you are coming from! DD applied to 7 schools, only one in state, and that one is 3 hours away from us. If she decides on the farthest away (her #1 choice), she will be almost 11 hours from home. We have had an' empty nest' since the beginning of junior year because she lives at boarding school 150 miles away, but if she goes THAT far away, we will probably only see her a few times a year. She is an only, so we are going to be truly alone once she leaves.

Hugs to you. I completely empathize. However, 11 hours is driving time, right? Don't think of it that way...it's just a two hour flight. DD has one school in town, three within a 4 hour drive, and the rest are really far. I have to think that it's only a 3 hour flight at worst or I will go more insane than I already am.

:hug: That's how I'm feeling too. I always told her I wouldn't be "that mom" who calls or texts all the time. But, it's going to be really tough when I may not see her for long periods of time. I told her last night she might have to put up with a few more calls and texts than I had promised. :duck: It's starting to become much more real now...

Hugs to you. I completely empathize. However, 11 hours is driving time, right? Don't think of it that way...it's just a two hour flight. DD has one school in town, three within a 4 hour drive, and the rest are really far. I have to think that it's only a 3 hour flight at worst or I will go more insane than I already am.

I'm starting to feel bad complaining about 5 hours drive. lol. That's a good point about flying time. :grouphug:

DD is still intent upon pursuing her degree in teaching. She's been interning as a student teacher for different classes, this term for a class with learning disabilities. She's been getting very good feedback and reviews and still says there's nothing else she's interested in doing. She's been approached by several teachers interested in having her intern in their classes in one of her free hours. She's insistent upon starting her gen ed at the community college and transferring into her preferred school after a year or two. I understand why that can be a really smart plan, but I'm struggling because I think she'll miss out on a lot.

DD is majoring in Medical Lab Science. She is also broadly considering medical school. This degree would get her a job after four years, but is also pre-med if she decides to go that route.

I think she's finally settled on her college of choice. The only thing that would change her mind at this point would be getting an unexpected windfall scholarship to one of the other contenders. Most have offered similar amts, so we aren't really expecting any one school to offer more.

I feel your pain. My son's #1 school is in Illinois and we live in Maine! I am so excited for him because I love the school as much as he does and can definitely see him going there. But I don't know what I am going to do without him. I miss him already and he hasn't even left yet!

Well...she just sent in another application. I really have no idea what she's doing anymore.

DD is going for a BFA in either Illustration, Animation or Graphic Design (still undetermined exactly which one, but for sure an Art Major) with a minor in creative writing (if possible). She finally (thank goodness) finished her portfolio for her last college and got it all sent in last week. She applied to 4 schools and has heard back from two (one acceptance to a state college and one acceptance with scholarship that covers about 1/2 the tuition to a private art college).

We will wait to hear back from the other two before anything is decided for sure but the Private Art College that has already accepted her is her first choice and unless she gets a full ride at one of the other two schools, I think her mind is made up.

My daughter just got accepted to a college but she didn't even audition for music program yet so we think the college was premature sending her an acceptance.

Did the acceptance come from a state school? With DD's applications, the state schools didn't want her art portfolio yet. She has to get accepted and complete a semester or two of general education work and then she can apply to the School of Art. So even though she has been accepted into the university, there is no guarantee that she will get into the School of Art (and the major she wants).

So I wonder if it is the same at the college your DD has already been accepted to without an audition.

My DD heard back from the 4 schools she applied to she got into 3 and was deferred on the 4th. She did get into her first choice with the honors college and nursing program so she is very happy. I filled out the Fafsa and waiting to hear back what the offers are. In the mean time my DD is doing some scholarship applications and is getting ready for the Skills USA competitions this month.

DD heard back from the only school, she applied to early....deferred to regular admissions. She had a meltdown. This school was a favorite for some reason (I think it's the absolute worst fit for her). I hope to get some good news from other possibilities soon. Most of the schools she applied to aren't sending decisions until late March.

DD is going for a BFA in either Illustration, Animation or Graphic Design (still undetermined exactly which one, but for sure an Art Major) with a minor in creative writing (if possible). She finally (thank goodness) finished her portfolio for her last college and got it all sent in last week. She applied to 4 schools and has heard back from two (one acceptance to a state college and one acceptance with scholarship that covers about 1/2 the tuition to a private art college).

We will wait to hear back from the other two before anything is decided for sure but the Private Art College that has already accepted her is her first choice and unless she gets a full ride at one of the other two schools, I think her mind is made up.

LOL - quoting myself here.

Well, DD heard back from the other private art school today. She was accepted with a $6500/year merit scholarship. Their tuition is cheaper than DD's first choice school so with this scholarship it puts it about the same out-of-pocket for tuition. But this school is further away and we would have to add in housing costs of $9000+ so I think that takes it out of the running. Oh well....it was nice that they accepted her.

I don't think she is upset at all. That just means she is one step closer to sending in the deposit for the school that she really wants ;)

That's great, jetskigrl. Good luck to your DD.

DD heard from her 3rd school this weekend- the big state school where we live. She was accepted, as I know she would be. She isn't really considering going there, though- they don't offer the major she has decided on. Still waiting to hear from 4 more schools- 1 that she isn't too interested in (but applied to because her dad went there and the campus is pretty), and 3 that she is excited about (2 of them are her reach schools- hope she gets into one or the other).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter