• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hilton at WDW question - help!

izzy

“I slapped Ouiser Boudreaux”
I'm going to a conference in a few months that is supposed to be held at the Hilton near Downtown Disney. My problem is that the conference hotel rate is $139 a night, which is $7 a day above what my employer will allow for that area. Does anyone know which other hotels in that complex near Downtown Disney are within a few minutes walk of the Hilton and might be less than $132? (P.S. I don't want to stay in a dive, which I can't imagine any of those hotels being, but you never know!) I'm thinking of just going ahead and paying the $7 out of my pocket so that I can stay at the conference site hotel. I was just afraid that the Hilton would charge a resort fee, too, which I hear is becoming pretty commonplace in that area. If they charge a resort fee, my out of pocket expenses are going to start adding up.

Thanks for your help!!

The rates at the Grosvenor (across the street) range from $99 to $165 and the Courtyard by Mariott (next door) goes from $99 to $219 - both standard rates. Both should be nice, though I've never stayed at either. I don't know about availability at the lower rates, though.
Still, I think if I were you I'd just go with the Hilton. It will be much more convenient, it's very nice, and $7 a night isn't very much money (about what you'll pay for a fast-food lunch (burger, fries, drink) around WDW). No resort fee is mentioned in the information I have. Either of the above alternatives requires at least a five minute walk (probably longer door-to-door), one across a busy street. Besides, the Hilton is a much nicer property!
:D

Izzy:

Can you pay the extra $7 per night? You'll be a lot happier at the convention hotel than anywhere else. Also, check Hilton's website itself. They sometimes have specials which are less than the convention rate of $139.

Contradicting what I said above, I just read about some people complaining of run-down rooms and other problems at the Grosvenor, so you may want to avoid that option. While I am sure it is hardly a "dive", it will never be as nice as the Hilton, which is well-worth the extra money. I don't think you would be sorry for spending just a little extra. Anything else will be inconvenient anyway (some worse than others, such as any hotel off-property).

I have stayed at the Hilton (also for a conference), at the Grosvenor (I planned a conference there) and at the Courtyard.

The Hilton is by far the best of the 3, hands-down, no contest. It's a much bigger and better property, with more amenities and incredible service. The Grosvenor is OK, but I think that the difference in price is not worth it. You'd be much happier at the Hilton. The Courtyard is OK, but it's a bit old (it used to be a HJ). Mind you, I'm a big Marriott fan, but this Courtyard is not one of my favorite properties and the price is definitely not worth it (it's well-maintained and clean, but I just didn't feel the magic as much and I think it's overpriced just because it's on WDW property).

So, I think it's worth it to pay the extra $ (try to negotiate with your employer for the extra-can't hurt to try). Also, see if you can get a better rate through travel agent or the hotel directly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter