• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

hitch advice? (Dodge Ram + Coleman popup)

breick

DIS Veteran
I have a new tow vehicle (2003 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab Short bed) and would like some advice as to what hitch to use. I have had sway problems with my 1997 Coleman Sun Ridge in the past and don't want any in the future. All my research has just confused me....Equal-i-zer is too heavy duty and won't fit due to jack? Reese 350 has sway control or not? probably don't need weight distribution on a 4 wheel drive truck? Can someone narrow this down?

hello brieck.
1st try towing with just a reg hitch. if you have any problems then go to sway hitch. I have a 99 coleman cheyenne,ford E150.
And we tow with no problem at all no sway ect..

Your tow vehicle is pretty good sized compared to your trailer, so you may not need any sway control, and weight distribution should be unnecessary, since your tongue weight should be pretty low. Try towing it on the highway, see if you have any sway when you get passed by a big truck. I don't see any reason why you could not add a sway control later, since there are all kinds of models out there. tim5055 has an excellent web site for people pulling pop ups (and everyone else, for that matter) and he should have some good information for you.

Happy camping!

:D

Breick,

Check out a couple of pages on my web site:

Towing and Hitch Information

Sway Information

I think you will find after a little research that with a larger tow vehicle (i.e. you pick up) towing a pop up sway will be reduced, but possibley not eliminated.

Your comment that the Mini 350 is too much is correct. You should not need any weight distribution with your set up.

A simple friction sway bar will probably be all you need.

I had a 1998 Coleman Sun Ridge , towed with 1996 Chevy Express 1500 full size van. Friction sway bar is a great help I would not tow without it. When loading for camping load most weight in back of pick up. Keep camper as light as possible it makes a difference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter