HO-HO-HO..We`ll put the RUM in Pa-Rum-Pum-Pum-Pum! 16 holiday nights at SF & RPR. A Nov/Dec 2023 Trip Report

Heading out we passed the line for The Grinch, the line was long and even the area where the line started over the other side was incredibly busy, those folks were patient!!

i-7cFbXpf-X2.jpg

I was banned from shopping, for anything :blush:.....not even a pencil or pen, so walking past the stores, I decided not to wander through as there is always something one can pick up in there!!!

i-QzbJBx9-X2.jpg

Although back home I was annoyed to realise I had forgotten to buy a Christmas bauble I wanted, not quite sure how I managed to forget it, we go into that store a dozen times, but in the grand scale of things I didn`t really need it.

It`s always a little emotional leaving the parks for that last time on any trip, and on such a gorgeous day it was even less pleasant, but we left and headed back home on the beautiful path by the waterway.

i-4b4zn5r-X2.jpg

i-7kkMtTb-X2.jpg

i-cQ89JBT-X2.jpg

Although on our December trips we never use the pool, it is our favourite pool out of all them. We have tried the other pools and apart from maybe Sapphire Falls, the others are not our favourites. PB quiet pool we tried once and were very unlucky to have the "rowdy family" close by and ruined the ambience of the day, I think us and three other families left them to it. HRH pool I don`t like at all and I don`t like Cabana Bay or Aventura in general so we never visit those pools.

A slide is not our priority so it doesn`t matter a hill of beans if a pool has a play area or slide, but RP does have a very nice little play area as opposed to a slide and it is very popular with the littler ones.

i-QvWdsJq-X2.jpg

i-ShqNjS2-X2.jpg

There are several little areas around the pool to choose from, some are nearer the hot tubs and others are beside the zero entry area of the pool and that`s right beside the little kiddie area too, you very rarely see anyone in there though, but it`s nice.

i-MmkRQVJ-X2.jpg

i-CPbDr6D-X2.jpg

The pool itself is huge and deep enough to swim in, but shallow enough for folks like me who don`t swim to be able to enjoy it. We`ve never struggled to find a lounger anytime we`ve been there, but it can get busy as folks we know have had issues during peak times.

i-FCBBZJ5-X2.jpg

We headed into our room and got showered and changed, we had a late checkout but said we would be out of the room by 1pm and we could pass some time in the lounge before we left, that way the room could be turned around faster for the next folks. We finished off last minute packing and then checked the room for anything we may have left, which today we never left a thing.

Downstairs we handed in our luggage and managed to say goodbye to Milton who is just a superstar!! We were glad to be able to catch him as sometimes we do miss him depending on when he works, we told him to pass our good wishes onto Rob who we missed saying goodbye to this time, he said he absolutely would.

Back up to the lounge we grabbed a snack from the offerings, I think it was shortbread or something similar and some tea, we would eat at the airport, and we chatted to the lovely TM`s who were around today. The lovely Egle who is the Housekeeping manager we have known for a long time came up to say goodbye too, she is a lovely lady and we appreciated her taking the time to come up and see us before we left. We again, expressed our thanks to her for the wonderful housekeeping we always receive here, it is second to none and we never have a single complaint about housekeeping.

And as we hoped the lovely JP couple came up to say goodbye, we had hoped we would not miss them today.

And we were thrilled to hear they had decided to stay another week!!! Why not, they adore everything about the hotel and the lovely TM too and always enjoy their time staying, we joked we always say we`re going to add days on, but not so easy with the flights!!! It is always tempting though.

We chatted for a while and managed to say a nice goodbye to them as they were heading back down to the pool where their lovely daughter and grandson were, and of course we did get another picture of us all with some of the lovely team in the lounge.

i-zQc3L7H-X2.jpg

We were genuinely thrilled to finally meet the JP family that we had heard so much about over the years, the staff were always telling each of us we would like each other although we continually just missed each other, but they were as lovely as we had been told and we do keep in touch now which is always nice.

We sat for a little longer then said our goodbyes as we headed downstairs, we knew this would take a little longer.

We know so many lovely folks in the hotel and today we had several who were working so could say goodbye to us which again, is very special to us. Once we had our luggage we ambled over to the desk and the lovely Andrea had come over from Sapphire to wave us off too, she said she would but we had told her if she was busy, not to worry, but she had made it.

As we were chatting Tamara came towards me and said someone wanted to talk to me on the phone.....I was completely clueless as to who it could be, then I heard the voice and just about melted. It was Alex who used to work in the lounge 💞

Alex was part of the May 2022 Club Lounge team along with Lindsey, Raphael, Daniel and a couple of others and they were absolutely amazing, and it was Alex who called us to let us know about Lindsey passing, so we had a very strong bond. We missed her so much and hadn`t seen her this visit as she had been quite poorly, but hearing her voice made the emotions rise a little and we had a lovely little chat!! I handed the phone back to Tamara and thanked her so much for arranging that today, it meant an awful lot.

Back to our lovely group who came to say goodbye, I think Raphael had come in early to see us which again, just means so much, we adore these lovely folks and can`t imagine the hotel without them although they do move on of course at some point. The changes we had seen since 2009 are just incredible and so many folks had come and gone over that time.

I forget who took the picture but we were glad they did! And the lovely Samuel had again worn his purple shirt just for me, he knows it`s my favourite and it does suit him, but to be fair, he suits any colour!!! Elida, Andrea and Raphael make up our lovely group picture.

i-BXFTx2n-X2.jpg

I was a little emotional now as we said our goodbye`s but knowing we keep in touch by email is a little easier, we have got so attached to many folks here and we do miss them a lot.

But, that moment had come where we leave the hotel and head for the airport for the flight home tonight. Probably my least favourite journey ever!!!

I’m at an airport hotel staying the night before my flight because like you I live quite a drive away from my nearest airport so it’s less stressful with an early flight. But I’m headed to a work conference, wish I was flying back to Universal instead! Been reliving our holiday trip thanks to your posts though! I still can’t believe folks waited 4-6 hours to meet the Grinch, just had to assume most were local AP holders. What amazing luck with the bonus Hagrid’s ride! It truly is such a well done coaster, from the queue through the whole ride itself. My youngest should finally be tall enough on our next trip, and he can’t wait.

I’m at an airport hotel staying the night before my flight because like you I live quite a drive away from my nearest airport so it’s less stressful with an early flight. But I’m headed to a work conference, wish I was flying back to Universal instead! Been reliving our holiday trip thanks to your posts though! I still can’t believe folks waited 4-6 hours to meet the Grinch, just had to assume most were local AP holders. What amazing luck with the bonus Hagrid’s ride! It truly is such a well done coaster, from the queue through the whole ride itself. My youngest should finally be tall enough on our next trip, and he can’t wait.

Oh absolutely, it takes away any concerns about traffic or roads being closed on the way, it`s much more civilised to spend the night at a nice hotel. Even if it is for work, hope you had a nice evening and a good flight.

Yes, Universal is always a good place to visit. We were very happy to be given the chance to ride Hagrid`s when we had lost all hope that day, and yes, your youngest will be so happy to finally get on the ride, I`m going to bet he`ll love it as I agree, everything has been so well done from start to finish.

Glad you`re enjoying it, and hope you have a nice time at the conference...... ☺️

still can’t believe folks waited 4-6 hours to meet the Grinch, just had to assume most were local AP holders
Ive talked to several people who said they had planned to book
The breakfast or the evening pkg that included meeting the grinch.

Between the initial blogger reviews absolutely panning the food for the night one vs previous years & both selling out rather quickly…

Sometimes parents gotta do what they gotta do to make the magic happen

I’m glad you had the chance to see so many folks on your departure day. It is hard to say goodbye 😢

You did have absolutely beautiful weather for your final park time. 🌈
It is depressing leaving all the fun for the last time and knowing you won’t be back for a bit. The longer you are away, the sweeter it will be when you make it back 🤗🤗🤗

I love those little shortbread snacks in the lounge with a cup of tea. I know it’s not up to your tea standards, or nearly as good as your homemade shortbread, but it works as an afternoon treat 🫖

I’m looking forward to your airport review 🥰

Between the initial blogger reviews absolutely panning the food for the night one vs previous years & both selling out rather quickly…

I was amazed how fast those meets sold out!! I wonder if they underestimated how popular it was going to be, we might see that same experience in different locations going forward. Going by the lines, it would still sell out at speed.

Yes, we do what we need to for sure.

I’m glad you had the chance to see so many folks on your departure day. It is hard to say goodbye 😢

You did have absolutely beautiful weather for your final park time. 🌈
It is depressing leaving all the fun for the last time and knowing you won’t be back for a bit. The longer you are away, the sweeter it will be when you make it back 🤗🤗🤗

I love those little shortbread snacks in the lounge with a cup of tea. I know it’s not up to your tea standards, or nearly as good as your homemade shortbread, but it works as an afternoon treat 🫖

I’m looking forward to your airport review 🥰

The weather was gorgeous for the whole trip apart from a couple of days early in the trip when it was cooler, but that`s expected for the time of year of course, we came prepared but in the end didn`t need the warmer clothes.

I do like that shortbread they have, for pre packed it`s not too bad at all and with a cup of tea, well you can`t go wrong, you`re right, nice little afternoon treat.

Airport coming right up.....I know there are a few of us who do enjoy airport time, maybe not so much when we`re leaving, but we make the best of it!!!

We did the breakfast. The price was absurd but the food wasn’t terrible (minus the desserts, which were very meh) and it was worth it to only wait 15 minutes to meet the Grinch once we finished our meal. I would do it again if they put it back in Circus McGirkus and made it a buffet like it used to be.

We did the breakfast. The price was absurd but the food wasn’t terrible (minus the desserts, which were very meh) and it was worth it to only wait 15 minutes to meet the Grinch once we finished our meal. I would do it again if they put it back in Circus McGirkus and made it a buffet like it used to be.

I think for the price the food should be more than "not terrible"

Many folks had the same opinion from what we heard about it, all wanted to have it back in CMcG`s. But, everyone loved the actual meet it seems.

The drive to the airport is always depressing, despite Universal Blvd being a very pretty road, when it leads to going home, it doesn`t look as good.

Although that road will change beyond recognition soon when the new hotels and park open in the not so distant future, it used to be so quiet and there was never a lot of traffic on it, a bit like how Turkey Lake Road to Palm Parkway used to be. When we first travelled that road way back in 2007 there was barely another car to be seen as we drove up and down and at night it was very eerie as there was only one building set well back from the road that had any lights on it, I think it`s a timeshare place, it`s still there but it`s completely surrounded by other buildings and restaurants now and is a pretty amazing area now. There was also no streetlighting in any form, so it does look so much better now than the barren land it once was.

However, we miss how quiet that road used to be.

It takes around 20 minutes to get to the airport and traffic wasn`t too bad today then practically no line to get into the parking garage to drop the car off.

This was easy as always, Alamo have never given us any issues and we do get a receipt to say our charge is zero as it should be. The one time we used Dollar they tried to charge us extra over and above what we had paid which was a con to us, it was sorted but that along with a dirty car at first made us decide to never use them again, but we got our receipt with a smile today, yes, we`ll stick to Alamo for our rental car in the future.

We grab our luggage and head over to the terminal, remembering to drop off our Visitor Toll Pass in the machine you have to pass before crossing the road, if you forget to drop it in it`s only $15 to pay, but it`s so handy here and hard to forget really.

Straight into the elevator and up to departures which is busy as always and we turn left to VA and the line for economy was huge, we were glad to be passing it today and found the Premium line which was on the left and not busy at all. There are several Virgin flights and it can get busy even coming this early which we had to be as the car had to be returned so early, but we do enjoy some airport time so we didn`t mind at all.

Getting the bags weighed is always a source of humour for us.....well, me primarily lol.....but today we were ok for weight on the suitcases, two were right on 23kg and the other was 24.1kg, but she never said anything. I think it was around $80 last time one case was overweight, so we`d rather not give them that if we don`t have to.

Our seats were confirmed and we took our boarding cards, not that we really need them now with facial recognition being in place before boarding, but sometimes they don`t use it and you need your passport and boarding card anyway, but we headed through past the food court and straight up to the Hyatt to order a couple of drinks before we went for food, stopping first to get a picture of the lovely tree and the massive flag in the centre of the hotel.

i-MvJ867X-X2.jpg

i-GTFBDfx-X2.jpg

i-3nKhhNv-X2.jpg

They have a lovely lounge area and recently we`d noticed some folks lounging around waiting for flights, but this time staff were asking if they were staying there if they hadn`t ordered a drink, so I guess if you want to use their lounge, you need to buy something now. No such issues for us as we always have a couple of drinks in the lounge and it is such a nice quiet area to sit before going airside.

i-p7tT4ZT-X2.jpg

We ordered a Malbec and Tom opted for a beer which were both nice and then we Facetimed Kyle for a short chat, he said the weather was freezing and we should wrap up warm for coming out of the airport, not looking forward to that! The waitress gave us the check and said she was going off shift and did we want to pay now, which we did, but weirdly she didn`t leave and was still working later. I said we must look like would run off without paying, but they had our card on file, so I`m not sure what was going on.

When we were finished chatting we ordered two more and it was a different woman who was not the friendliest woman so I asked for the Malbec that was the house Malbec and told her it was that one I wanted, so the drinks came back and we enjoyed them as we waited to board the flight. I did think the wine tasted different, but put it down to a different bottle being opened.

Sitting here is very relaxing, we do enjoy the time up here but I was getting hungry now as we hadn`t eaten lunch, so we asked for the check as we wanted to go through to the restaurant to eat. You can eat in the lounge, but the seats are very low compared to the tables, so the restaurant is comfier to have a meal in.

She brings the check and Tom looks at it and asked what I had ordered, I said another Malbec which was around $15 or so, she had charged us $31 for the second glass and Tom`s beer was a different price too which was odd, so we called her over and I explained my second glass was more than double the price of the first, she said I had ordered that one but she got her names mixed up and told me I ordered a glass of something they only sell by the bottle, I told her no, I can`t order something that`s not on the menu, she paused for a second and had an answer for everything initially.

i-cVRk5zx-Th.gif

I asked very nicely if we could quietly speak to a manager (yes, I know very Karen like) but we both felt something was off here as she was very defensive, she told me no manager was available and she would refund me the drinks we`d had, no charge for the second round and then educated me on the Hyatt makes things right when they make a mistake, she seemed a little annoyed at this point.

It was very odd but we had no desire to pursue it further, but we`ll certainly make sure we keep an eye up there on what we are charged for.

We head through to McCoy`s restaurant which is only a few steps from the lounge bar area and staff here are so lovely and we are seated in a nice table, the lady who was looking after us was amazing! Genuinely such a lovely lady and full of concern for all her guests at other tables, really nice lady.

We are quite boring in this restaurant, we always seem to get the same thing, we share the crawfish chowder which is amazing, Jake`s could take a lesson in getting theirs back to this standard that it used to be, this one is miles better. We get the small one despite really wanting to be greedy and get the larger one, but we were good.

This chowder is gorgeous...💜

i-K3CZxmw-X2.jpg

I did make a messy nose and mouth snort at one point which is never ladylike......but, I honestly couldn`t help it. One of the things I find odd in America is to hear a grown woman ask her husband if he needs to "go potty" I know I know.....I`m British and don`t get it, but, it must just be me as I know it`s a normal thing to say for so many. However, to the British ear, it is indeed odd and always makes me laugh. So my innapropriate snort was not noticed by the woman who went on to ask her kids one by one if they needed to go potty too, her kids were all around 15 and over at least.......lol.....

I`m so glad none of them noticed as I`d have been mortified if I`d offended any of them. As I hope no one is offended by me finding that comment funny. But, I do :)

Our entrees arrived and they did look good.

Tom went for one of their pizzas and added jalapenos, while I stuck to my usual dish here, Honey Honey Chicken Sandwich with fries which is gorgeous and is very spicy which I never expected.

There was a lot of Tom`s pizza left, he really only ate the middle and left a lot of crust which is fine, I ate most of mine except the bun, the chicken is delicious though.

We never know what the food is going to be like on the plane and our flight is leaving so late we might just want to go to sleep and miss the food, other times it`s quite nice for airline food, but we want to make sure we`re not starving. Not that we would be, but just like to make certain......:)

i-4kqjg7Q-X2.jpg

i-fMT4Spj-X2.jpg

We thanked Judy for taking such good care of us, paid the check and headed to the bathroom before going downstairs to go through security.

There`s no dragging this out any longer.......✈️

Such a lovely trip and report, beautiful photos and again thank you for sharing :tink:

Thank you Minnie.....almost done now, a few more posts to go and that`ll be another one over, it`s always fun for us to relive it through these.

I`m so glad you enjoyed it, hope you`re doing well too :)

Good morning! Catching up on the TR. Wonder what in the world the server was thinking in the Hyatt lounge. I always love a good crawfish soup/chowder. Thanks for sharing everything! One day I'll learn how to relax in an airport.....I probably should find the lounge.

Good morning! Catching up on the TR. Wonder what in the world the server was thinking in the Hyatt lounge. I always love a good crawfish soup/chowder. Thanks for sharing everything! One day I'll learn how to relax in an airport.....I probably should find the lounge.

We did wonder if it was some kind of scam, but not quite sure how that would have worked.

That chowder was lovely, as it should taste, we are a bit dull in getting it every time......it`s funny, some folks love airports and some don`t, but sitting with a drink in a nice lounge bar is very nice.

Glad you`re all caught up :)

I am always a big fan of your reports and always get that feeling down period when you are wrapping up your closing posts at the near end of your of your trip reports ending

I think you need to make more trip reports
It’s such a fabulous way to spread the word on how much there is to see and in Orlando
we all love to follow tour trips which you always share with us!

your fan base keeps growing each vacation you do

Last edited:
I am always a big fan of your reports and always get that feeling down period when you are wrapping up your closing posts at the near end of your of your trip reports ending

I think you need to make more trip reports
It’s such a fabulous way to spread the word on how much there is to see and in Orlando
we all love to follow tour trips which you always share with us!

your fan base keeps growing each vacation you do

Awww, thank you mac!

It`s always sad for me to end a trip report too, reliving it is fun!! And I do enjoy writing them which helps I suppose, they`re not for everyone and that`s ok.

Next one is a few months away and I do look forward to doing that one. But, couple more posts on this one to go.....I`m always glad to read you enjoyed it mac, thank you ☺️

AND I AM ALL CAUGHT UP!

Long time no talk! I always love reading your trip reports and sad this one is almost at its end. I also really want that chowder from McCoys it look divine!

One day I will get to UOR at the holidays and I will make sure to look at everything you tell us to!

And as a quick update from me: new job is going great-still have some things to get used to but going strong.
The show opens two weeks from today and it is EXHAUSTING given the material and the amount of it (not trying to dox myself but its a show about the 1960s.....and i sing a very well known song.....in fact there are a lot of well known songs.....i will leave you with that lol)

In the meantime, I hope you, Tom, Kyle and everyone on here is doing well. A happy Easter and blessed Passover to all who celebrate!

BH5

I`m British and don`t get it, but, it must just be me as I know it`s a normal thing to say for so many.
:rotfl2:
Yes, it is common place here. I’m sure I’ve uttered it as an adult. Now and again, it’s more along line of being accused having a potty mouth

We’ve never stayed at the airport Hyatt. Had plans to do so until informed by DiL they locked down the balcony doors after an unfortunate, sad event

Now, tempted to give it a whirl for a drink & light dinner. Can’t say I’ve ever noticed how one gets up there :scratchin

I get in some weird food anxiety thing flying back to the US that I have to eat a big meal in the airport, then eat EVERYTHING in sight on the flight. Wall of Goodies? It stands no chance with me.

I am so glad you guys had another great trip and always love following along!

When is your next trip back?

Thank you so much for taking such time to write such great and detailed trip reports. You and Tom need your own travel show!

AND I AM ALL CAUGHT UP!

Long time no talk! I always love reading your trip reports and sad this one is almost at its end. I also really want that chowder from McCoys it look divine!

One day I will get to UOR at the holidays and I will make sure to look at everything you tell us to!

And as a quick update from me: new job is going great-still have some things to get used to but going strong.
The show opens two weeks from today and it is EXHAUSTING given the material and the amount of it (not trying to dox myself but its a show about the 1960s.....and i sing a very well known song.....in fact there are a lot of well known songs.....i will leave you with that lol)

In the meantime, I hope you, Tom, Kyle and everyone on here is doing well. A happy Easter and blessed Passover to all who celebrate!

BH5

Good to see you back BH!! Wondered if you were busy with the new job.

Sounds good, and you sing too!!! Very talented, but sounds like a fun experience, hope it goes well when it does open.

Glad you got caught up though, yes that chowder was beautiful I`d go to MCO for that alone. Yes the holidays are lovely but I think after 5 visits we`ve done all we can there, we much prefer guaranteed warmer temps.

I`m always sad to finish a report, well, I`m almost done.....but glad you enjoyed it and a very Happy Easter to you too.....see you soon hopefully and good luck with the show :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter