Holiday Inn Orange Lake resort or Sheraton Vistana Resort Villas?

DSNY4ever

I am going to keep hunting
The prices are similar, but the Holiday Inn looks like it has lots of fun stuff to do...but the Sheraton looks like the rooms might be nicer? We aren't going to Disney World during this time, this is just a couple days after our park days when we are doing other things like NASA and some nature reserves.

I have been to Orange Lake but never Sheraton Vistana. I will admit I LOVE Orange Lake but can't make a comparison since I've never been to Vistana. Orange Lake is great for toddlers to teens. It's also great for adults and seniors. There is lots to do if/when the activities resume. I can't wait to see what others say. :goodvibes

the Holiday Inn looks like it has lots of fun stuff to do...but the Sheraton looks like the rooms might be nicer?
I haven't stayed at OLCC yet, but that's certainly been my impression over the years. I think if I were doing a non-parks stay, and wanted to take advantage of the resort activities, I'd lean to Orange Lake.

Please note that it has been a long time since I stayed and Orange Lake and things may have changed since I stayed there and I only stayed there once. And that one stay is perhaps skewing my view of Orange Lake. I've stayed at the Sheraton Vistana four different times and will be staying there my fifth time in March. I thought I'd go ahead and comment anyway, given that people so far who have posted haven't been to both resorts and I have.

There are many different sections at Orange Lake and some with a lot more wow amenities close by than others. We were there on an RCI trade for a two bedroom unit. When I stayed there we were in a fairly quiet section that had it's own pool/hot tub, but was quite far from other amenities and things which required us to take the resort shuttle or drive to enjoy many amenities. And first they put us in a section on a golf course not even close to a pool or anything else and we don't play golf (unit was kind of dated there too), and we asked if we could get something closer to a pool, so this was a second try on placement. And we were happier in the second one, as at least there was a close by pool for our kids which we had a lot of fun at. It was a perfectly acceptable pool and hot tub, but not a wow pool. Since it was a quieter section without a lot of other stuff nearby, we saw the same people at the pool every day. And that was kind of fun, as we made some friends. Also, the unit while perfectly acceptable and spacious was a little dated (could have used a little sprucing up). This is many years back, though. We were impressed by some of the amenities in other sections of Orange Lake, but because of the drive didn't use those amenities all that much (e.g. kids loved the River Island area -- waterpark type features, but we only went over there one day and mostly stuck to our close by pool after a busy theme park day). We played tennis three times, but had to drive over. We weren't really walking distance to much. We did take the shuttle all over and stop at every section of the resort one day to see everything. I think I would probably have been giving a more glowing report if we had been put in a different section. I haven't stayed there again, but probably wouldn't hesitate to stay again, especially if I knew I would be in a section with more amenities such as River Island and had kids that I knew would love the features there.

The Sheraton Vistana is a large resort too but felt much smaller than Orange Lake. It's much easier to walk from one section to another, and we rarely use our car to go to a different section of the resort. The units when we have stayed have been updated, and something I really love is that with all the little man made lakes and fountains your patio or balcony typically faces water (cute little view) vs. parking lot. We tend to sit out on the balconies a lot so we probably care about this and appreciate this more than most people. It's not a waterpark type features place, but does have great pools and hot tubs which is all we need. And did you get it that we like to play tennis. A fun feature of the Vistana is that they have 10 or so tennis courts, in great shape (They really keep these up), lighted, and some are even clay (not the red clay), but still clay which I love and is always a treat for me. We tend to end up playing tennis a lot there, even on days when we go to the parks. The Vistana (you can probably tell as I'm doing a fifth stay) is one of my favorites in the Orlando area. I feel very safe booking there, as I think the various sections are very consistent in what they offer and that it's easy enough to go to a different section if you like that area's pool better etc.

I really don't think you'd go too wrong at either place. We like to switch it around a lot in Orlando. You might think I stay at the Vistana all the time as I'm going for the fifth time, but that's not the case at all. My trip in March is like my 30th trip to Orlando, so we stay all over the place.

Not meaning to oversell the Vistana, but just an FYI - these forums have a fairly active sub forum thread about all things Vistana. Here is a link: https://www.disboards.com/threads/t...y-links-on-p-1.3148502/page-128#post-63749100

Last edited:
We were there on an RCI trade for a two bedroom unit.
For others considering OLCC via RCI: last I checked the different sections had different resort codes. Assuming those are honored, that would be one way to ensure you are closer to the action of either River Island or North (which seems to also have a really nice pool area.)

We have stayed at both and love both! OLCC is much more spread out but we had no problems spending 1 day at Splash Lagoon, anothet day on the lazy river and a day at the west village pool. We find the west village the best village.
Vistana is also big resort but the buildings and pools are very close to each other. So easier to walk from one to the other.
Found accommodations both updated.
Good luck!

Driving in the area is never fun. It would depend on where you will spend the most time. If you are planning on going to parks every day, stay closer to them (Vistana). If you plan on spending time at the resort, pick the one with the amenities that you like the most. Bonnet Creek is a great option because if offers both location and amenities. Driving on 535 or I192 is stressful by comparison.

I own at Orange Lake and have also stayed at The Sheraton Vistana. We did not like the Sheraton. It was very small kind of cramped. The wi-fi was horrible if you depend on that. There is so much to do at Orange Lake and there are plenty of restaurants on site as well as nearby.

I've stayed at both a few times over the years, bottom line is you can't go wrong with either place but depending on what you are looking for could lean you towards one over the other. I'll digress a little...

Orange Lake is very spread out and if you want to use the amenities, you will have to drive and it isn't the easiest resort to navigate because it sprawls so much. If you play golf, go to Orange Lake. If you go to Orange Lake, be careful which area you choose to stay in because you will be much more likely to use those amenities rather than drive around for the other ones. And if you stay in the "West Village" try to make sure you get an updated unit as these are the oldest units and back up to the golf course (I like those units and have stayed in them a couple of times).

Vistana is smaller than Orange Lake and easier to walk the resort. I find the units to be a little nicer than Orange Lake's, on average. I find Vistana's location to be a little more convenient than Orange Lake, but it's not like Orange Lake is inconvenient from anything.

If you plan to eat on sight, I think Orange Lake *might* have an advantage? I typically eat off site or cook in the condo, so I haven't used either resort's restaurants too many times and defer to other's opinions on that.

Hope it helps!

I stayed at vistana in 2012 and loved it, I was in a 2 br unit and it was great.
I didn't have any issues, I can't recall where it was in the complex, but it was very quiet. I would be very concerned if I booked here again whether or not I would be placed in a unit that backs up to the road.
I also have stayed at Orange Lake twice, both in 2 br's. My first trip I was relatively close to the check in place. This unit was easy to get to. The second time, just a few months ago, the unit was far in the back of the complex.

I would take Orange Lake again because the road noise for me is a deal breaker. I don't think there's much possibility for road noise at orange lake.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter