• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hollywood and Vine- is it really that bad??

JessZacc

Mouseketeer
I was thinking of doing a character meal at Hollywood and Vine because my kids LOVE Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Is the food really as disgusting as I have seen in some reviews and is it really filthy? My cousin actually recommended it to me. What would be less disgusting if we did decide to go- breakfast or dinner? Do they offer a character lunch also?

We've eaten there before and didn't think it was bad. I didn't find it to be filthy either., :confused3 Yes, there is a charcter lunch for breakfast and lunch. We're having lunch there this trip. :)

Breakfast was great. Character interaction was wonderful, the good was good and we had good service.

Dinner, NEVER again. It was like eating at a dingy truck stop. They must not clean between breakfast and dinner and the food was awful.

My cousin just ate there in January for lunch and said the food was good and the characters were great too!

Where can I find the prices or pricing for the fantasmic pkg? Are the Characters there all day??

We've eaten dinner twice there and had a fine experience. Nothing exceptional but the food and service were good. It was the only place that did anything special for our anniversary, chocolate covered strawberries. :)

Had dinner there, wasn't good, but I'll always give a place a 2nd chance just in case they had an off day. 2nd time was worse. Haven't tried breakfast or lunch.

I have to agree with npcougar... we've eaten several dinners there and though nothing special, the food was just fine... we've also had several breakfasts there and the character experience was one of the best and the waitstaff was very friendly and participated with the characters each time we went... in fact, we are going to WDW in a few days and are planning a breakfast there.

This is the third thread I have posted this reply in today. Seems everyone is hating on H&V today. LOL

Ok, here it goes, and please do not flame me here!!

We ate a Hollywood & Vine last night for the Fantasmic Package and were quite pleased with the meal. I think there are too many food snobs on here sometimes.

I am a professional chef and write a food column so I do believe I have some credibility here. We put off going to dinner here for years because of the poor DIS reviews...shame on me!!!

It seems too many folks want to bash it more for the fact it is a buffet as opposed to a table service restaurant. Oh, and you can't compare the two styles of eatery in the same breath:table service is made to order and prepared to your specifications, buffets on the other hand are a "you get what they have" with no input.

As for the food, there were many great options. Some I liked more than others, but there was nothing I found poorly prepared or of low quality in the ingredients used. I thought the salmon they offered on the buffet was the best buffet salmon I have ever eaten. Was it prepared exactly as I would have ordered it in a table service restaurant, no, but I wasn't in a table service restaurant either. Other items we found to be very tasty: the roasted beet & apple salad with goat cheese crumbles, broccoli slaw, chilled mussels in champagne vinaigrette, pastrami crusted pork lion with pickled apples, asiago ranch chicken breast, sun dried tomato & garlic polenta, spoon bread, kids meatballs, kids mac & cheese, dark chocolate mousse, apple cobbler and red velvet cake squares.

There were a few items that I didn't care for, but those few things did not ruin the meal for me....if I didn't care for them I didn't have to eat them!

I know everyone has different tastes, but I assure you, you will find something to eat that is good and well prepared if you eat at Hollywood & Vine. Does this restaurant compare to my experiences in restaurants like California Grill, Raglan Road, The Hollywood Brown Derby or Le Cellier....of course not, but neither will Mama Melrose's.

Do not let the opinions of people who do not know you steer you away from something that may very well please you. The only advice I have is decide what best suits you and your family and enjoy your dinner. If you decide the restaurant is not for you then do not go back, but you may very well have an experience you remember for years!!

Remember, every restaurant has it's supporters and detractors. The problem is more often, those who don't like something spout off about it when people who thoroughly enjoy something hold there tongue.....especially on the DIS because they don't want to get flamed for their opinion.

There is no meal on property that will ruin your day or vacation, unless you let it. So enjoy the meal, which ever way you go, and make some Disney memories that last longer than the meal itself!

:thumbsup2

Howard

LOVED The Chef's response above....
Because I am always the lone ranger on here who actually enjoyed H&V....

No it wasn't my Favorite meal EVER... But with a family of Five... with picky, somewhat picky and newly vegetarian... we all found Something to eat and were satisfied.

I've eaten at H&V 4x. Done H&V F! dining package once. I actually enjoyed H&V more than I enjoyed HBD.... (will definitely give HBD another chance)

But I really think you need to try this out for yourself. I LOVED The salad buffet.... Kids LOVED the "make your own sundae".... there is also a "kids Buffet".....the boiled shrimp went over well (how can you mess that up?) and they had a carving station and salmon that was yummy...
Have a Magical visit !
Mary

We have eaten dinner there twice in the past few years with the Fantasmic package. This was with 4 adults and 3 kids. We all enjoyed the variety and quality of the food. Nothing bad to say. We were hesitant to eat there after reading the mediocre reviews but liked it so much, we went back again. We are planning a trip this fall and this will be on our list yet again. Try it for yourself. I think you will be pleasantly surprised!

Whaaat??! Ppl actually complain about Hollywood and Vine?? We LOVED it! We ate breakfast twice there bc our sons love Jake from Jake and the Neverland Pirates and the food was good, meeting the Disney Jr characters was awesome and my boys loved going up and dancing with the characters and CMs! I didn't find the place dirty at all :confused3. We had a great time. :goodvibes

I'm a hater.pirate: The food was bad, and the service..even worse (if, that's possible) I'd rather eat, at a school cafeteria, than H&V.

DH and I both enjoy the food at the dinner buffet. I especially love the mussels. Then dessert is always the no sugar added berry cobbler!:goodvibes

We've eaten breakfast there twice and had great experiences. The food is standard breakfast fare, it's hot, it tastes good. Service was good. I saw no filth. And the character interaction is outstanding! We will go back.

We went in Nov 2007 for a late breakfast (like 10:45 or 11 am). We were one of probably 5 families in the restaurant and the characters hung out at our table lots! Our kids enjoy breakfast food, and we thought the food was good. After awhile, they brought out the lunch buffet but still had limited breakfast things available. We were able to eat both if we wanted. I learned this tip from someone here.
I thought it was good and would definitely consider going back there!

Amy

Characters are only breakfast and lunch! Which was very good and the kids love dancing around with Oso, Jake, Manny, June, and Leo! I am just glad they phased out JoJo since that show hasn't been on in forever and my kids had no clue who the hell it was!

Thanks for clarifying that the characters are only there for breakfast and lunch. I am only interested in going so my kids can see the Disney playhouse characters. Since nobody has mentioned Mickey clubhouse I am guessing they are not there?? That is their favorite show!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter