• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Hollywood and Vine or Mama Melrose??

MommyBell08

DIS Veteran
We always have a hard time with table service at DHS. We went to Hollywood and Vine when Jojo was there and DS#1 was one and really disliked it. So much that we havent gone back. I noticed that Jake is there now, and Oso, so we are considering going back, hopeful that the food is better. (I remember it being kinda like lunch room food?) We have never been to Mama Melrose, and also were considering eating there if the food was good enough to trump the characters and so-so food at Hollywood and Vine. Any feed back on either would be great!popcorn::

H&V is okay for breakfast, but I wouldn't eat there for any other time.

We always eat at Mama Melrose for the Fantasmic Package and have never been disappointed. You will hear mixed reviews for it, but we have been quite a few times and it has been good.

I have never been to Mama Melrose, but it has to be better than H&V. In my opinion H&V is the worst place to eat at WDW! I ate dinner there one time and will never go back!

we ate at H&V last year and didn't like it...we will be eating at MM on monday I will let you know what I think when I get back

I have never been to Mama Melrose, but it has to be better than H&V. In my opinion H&V is the worst place to eat at WDW! I ate dinner there one time and will never go back!

Ya...that what we were thinking...I was hoping it was redeemed since we ate there last because it was by far the worst we have ever had. Guess not. Thanks!

We have never eaten at H&V. We did eat at Moma Melrose on our last trip. We liked it a lot (2 adults & 4kids). Everyone liked it and we will probably eat there again on our next trip!

We did the MM Fantasmic package on our last visit and LOVED it. My DD said that it was her favorite meal of the whole trip and asked me to take a picture of her pizza. DS loved it as well!!

Have a great time!!

Trish

We have had a few good dinners at Mama Melrose. We ate at H&V once for dinner and would never ever eat their again. My 10 year old DD loves 50s PT so we've been going there the last few years, the servers are funny and the food is decent especially the PB&J milkshake.

Well...we last ate at Mama Melrose in 2000, and remember it being pretty good. We ate at H & V for dinner last year...we will not be returning. It was pretty bad.:scared1:

We did Mama Melrose Fantasmic pkg last July and really enjoyed it! We also have it planned for our June trip!:banana:

I asked this question recently as well and based on the responses you and I both got, I think it sounds like Mamas is the place to choose!

We have eaten at Mama Melrose's several times and have always had good meals which we have enjoyed :dance3:

Posted this on a similar thread moments ago:

Ok, here it goes, and please do not flame me here!!

We ate a Hollywood & Vine last night for the Fantasmic Package and were quite pleased with the meal. I think there are too many food snobs on here sometimes.

I am a professional chef and write a food column so I do believe I have some credibility here. We put off going to dinner here for years because of the poor DIS reviews...shame on me!!!

It seems too many folks want to bash it more for the fact it is a buffet as opposed to a table service restaurant. Oh, and you can't compare the two styles of eatery in the same breath:table service is made to order and prepared to your specifications, buffets on the other hand are a "you get what they have" with no input.

As for the food, there were many great options. Some I liked more than others, but there was nothing I found poorly prepared or of low quality in the ingredients used. I thought the salmon they offered on the buffet was the best buffet salmon I have ever eaten. Was it prepared exactly as I would have ordered it in a table service restaurant, no, but I wasn't in a table service restaurant either. Other items we found to be very tasty: the roasted beet & apple salad with goat cheese crumbles, broccoli slaw, chilled mussels in champagne vinaigrette, pastrami crusted pork lion with pickled apples, asiago ranch chicken breast, sun dried tomato & garlic polenta, spoon bread, kids meatballs, kids mac & cheese, dark chocolate mousse, apple cobbler and red velvet cake squares.

There were a few items that I didn't care for, but those few things did not ruin the meal for me....if I didn't care for them I didn't have to eat them!

I know everyone has different tastes, but I assure you, you will find something to eat that is good and well prepared if you eat at Hollywood & Vine. Does this restaurant compare to my experiences in restaurants like California Grill, Raglan Road, The Hollywood Brown Derby or Le Cellier....of course not, but neither will Mama Melrose's.

Do not let the opinions of people who do not know you steer you away from something that may very well please you. The only advice I have is decide what best suits you and your family and enjoy your dinner. If you decide the restaurant is not for you then do not go back, but you may very well have an experience you remember for years!!

Remember, every restaurant has it's supporters and detractors. The problem is more often, those who don't like something spout off about it when people who thoroughly enjoy something hold there tongue.....especially on the DIS because they don't want to get flamed for their opinion.

There is no meal on property that will ruin your day or vacation, unless you let it. So enjoy the meal, which ever way you go, and make some Disney memories that last longer than the meal itself!

:thumbsup2

Howard

We haven't been to H&V in years but we will never return. MM is definitely better than H&V.

Haven't been to Hollywood & Vine so can't help there but we have eaten at Mama Melrose three times and each time we have all enjoyed our meals. :)

We also enjoyed the H&V breakfast. Characters were cute, food was good. No complaints.
Dinner? Well, I will say it wasn't the greatest. It was during free dining a few years back and they were clearly completely overrun. Maybe not enough staff that day? Every table around us was dirty and sat dirty for our meal.
Our reservation was pretty late in the evening, so the buffet didn't appear as though they were restocking it anymore.
The food we did eat was fine, and our server was the nicest guy!
Softserve ice cream machine wasn't working. Everything just appeared messy. Food on the floor, dirty tables (not one or two.. MANY), dried up half full items on the buffet.
Like I said, what we did eat was good, and our server was nice. The appearance was just that they had been slammed all night with not enough staff on.

Long story, to say, I would try it again because it had the appearance of an off night. It just isn't my first choice, but I wouldn't say it's horrendous by any stretch.

I have not been to Mama Melrose, so I can't comment there,

But I did go to H & V last week. It was bad. Really bad. I'm not that picky of an eater, and my kids prefer buffet over anything else for the choice. Even my kids said that it was bad.

The only thing I found that was good was the kid's mac & cheese.

The main reason we dined there was for the Fantasmic package. Next time we'll try Mama Melrose. It cannot be any worse than H & V.

We ate at H&V twice and regretted it twice. The hot food wasn't hot. The cold food wasn't cold. Tables hadn't been bussed. The place just looked messy, including the bathroom.

On the other hand we really enjoyed our meal at Mama Melrose. The food was delicious and my steak was the best I had all that week. We did have a wait for our table, but it was during FD, so I cut them some slack for that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter