Holy Crud!!! Want your mind blown: price comparison 2012 v 2022

Timandalicia

DIS Veteran
I am going to compare the prices I paid for my 2 week February Disney World vacation in 2012 versus February 2022. This is real. I did the math and the homework!

Beach Club Villas studio.
Rented points from a nice lady. It was easy to get a good deal on points back then. Got them for 9 bucks a point. That’s $100 a day. No tax or resort fee.
Hotel Stay- $1400

Beach Club garden view hotel $9150.82

10 day hopper pass for family of 5- $1590

10 day hopper with genie plus and individual lightning lanes (I include these because in 2012 I could get on any ride I wanted to with as much ease because of low lines in February and fastpass)
$4740 plus individual lightning $1120= $5860

Dining- $1400
We limited ourselves back then to $100 a day dining then but I don’t have exact numbers. We did garden grocer and had a kitchenette. Brought food to parks.

Went to Space 220 and Be Our Guest etc. to escape crowds. Granted we didn’t eat as fancy in 2012. but it was because we could have more experiences with attractions instead of restaurant atmosphere. We could avoid crowds without sit down dining. We could see fireworks without a dessert package. So I’m going to say it’s close to apples to apples.
$4614

Other expense in 2022 that I did not incur in 2012. Please keep in mind that bus transportation was more manageable in 2012 and also with low crowds, we did not need to save time with getting to the park fast with something like Uber.

Transportation- $196

I did not include merchandise because my numbers are pretty sketchy.

Total for 2012= $4390

Total for 2022= $19820

Last edited:
We could see fireworks without a dessert package. So I’m going to say it’s close to apples to apples.
Not a lot of this feels apples to apples. You can still see fireworks without a dessert package. You tried to be more frugal ten years ago and you’re not now. Sure, prices have gone up, but these are choices. They haven’t gone up 300%.

I am going to compare the prices I paid for my 2 week February Disney World vacation in 2012 versus February 2022. This is real. I did the math and the homework!

Beach Club Villas studio.
Rented points from a nice lady. It was easy to get a good deal on points back then. Got them for 9 bucks a point. That’s $100 a day. No tax or resort fee.
Hotel Stay- $1400

Beach Club garden view hotel $9150.82

10 day hopper pass for family of 5- $1590

10 day hopper with genie plus and individual lightning lanes (I include these because in 2012 I could get on any ride I wanted to with as much ease because of low lines in February and fastpass)
$4740 plus individual lightning $1120= $5860

Dining- $1400
We limited ourselves back then to $100 a day dining then but I don’t have exact numbers. We did garden grocer and had a kitchenette. Brought food to parks.

Went to Space 220 and Be Our Guest etc. to escape crowds. Granted we didn’t eat as fancy in 2012. but it was because we could have more experiences with attractions instead of restaurant atmosphere. We could avoid crowds without sit down dining. We could see fireworks without a dessert package. So I’m going to say it’s close to apples to apples.
$4614

Other expense in 2022 that I did not incur in 2012. Please keep in mind that bus transportation was more manageable in 2012 and also with low crowds, we did not need to save time with getting to the park fast with something like Uber.

Transportation- $196

I did not include merchandise because my numbers are pretty sketchy.

Total for 2012= $4390

Total for 2022= $19820
Absolutely none of this is apples to apples.

Past vs. present prices? Okay, here are some--

THEN
Ground beef= $0.49/lb. (1972)
McDonalds cheeseburger = $0.45 (late 60s)
My high school class ring = $35 (1967--yes, I'm that old!)

NOW
Ground beef = $4.99/lb
McDonalds cheeseburger = $1.69
Average high school class ring = $300

Time passes, prices change.

The point? Just life. That's all.

Past vs. present prices? Okay, here are some--

THEN
Ground beef= $0.49/lb. (1972)
McDonalds cheeseburger = $0.45 (late 60s)
My high school class ring = $35 (1967--yes, I'm that old!)

NOW
Ground beef = $4.99/lb
McDonalds cheeseburger = $1.69
Average high school class ring = $300

Time passes, prices change.

The point? Just life. That's all.
1972. Really? Disney World was $6 then.

Last edited:
Not a lot of this feels apples to apples. You can still see fireworks without a dessert package. You tried to be more frugal ten years ago and you’re not now. Sure, prices have gone up, but these are choices. They haven’t gone up 300%.
You find me one night at Beach Club under $300. Renting points or otherwise. Let’s start there.
Why aren’t the tickets the same? I never stood in a line longer than 20 minutes because I worked the system 10 years ago with low lines. You do that now without paying for it.

You find me one night at Beach Club under $300. Renting points or otherwise. Let’s start there.
Why aren’t the tickets the same? I never stood in a line longer than 20 minutes because I worked the system 10 years ago with low lines. You do that now without paying for it.
If like befor you find someone to rent dvc from with a good deal 15-18$ pp you will be under the 300$ a night. I did just this for 5night at gfv.

Why aren't tickets the same? It's been 10 years.. demand went up so did the prices and the crowds.

I am not really sure what the point of the op is.

Maybe it should be "inflation and how our pay did not go up while everything else did".

1972. Really? Disney World was $6 then.

Yup, and my dad pitched a huge fit at DLR in 1967 because a hamburger cost $1.59--no sides.

We got the cheapest sandwich on the menu at $1.25, tuna salad on white bread. It was school lunch tasty, i.e. pretty bad.

No they're not. You rented DVC points in 2012 and this time you paid full rack rate.

Some lady renting you her points isn't "Disney's prices."
Touché. But you can’t find that lady today. I can rent for about $4080 today. Maybe that’s because of social media or big rental? I wonder how much of it is owner’s cost going up.

You don’t need to stay at the Beach Club if you want to keep prices down. No one is denying that it’s more expensive. But that’s a choice. In your own words, you found a “good deal” back then took your price doesn’t reflect average nightly rates. I stayed in Art of Animation in 2012 and paid a lot more than $100 a night.
The ticket issue is just so irrelevant I can’t reply. Experiences change. So does the cost of running a massive theme park.

If like befor you find someone to rent dvc from with a good deal 15-18$ pp you will be under the 300$ a night. I did just this for 5night at gfv.

Why aren't tickets the same? It's been 10 years.. demand went up so did the prices and the crowds.

I am not really sure what the point of the op is.

Maybe it should be "inflation and how our pay did not go up while everything else did".

The point is just to put the numbers out there and have a dialogue such as this. Feel free not to comment if you don’t see a point of this thread.
$15 and $18 are big price point differences. Also, inflation is a lot less.

You don’t need to stay at the Beach Club if you want to keep prices down. No one is denying that it’s more expensive. But that’s a choice. In your own words, you found a “good deal” back then took your price doesn’t reflect average nightly rates. I stayed in Art of Animation in 2012 and paid a lot more than $100 a night.
The ticket issue is just so irrelevant I can’t reply. Experiences change. So does the cost of running a massive theme park.
I didn’t say I wanted to save money. I didn’t say spending less is not an option.

The point is just to put the numbers out there and have a dialogue such as this. Feel free not to comment if you don’t see a point of this thread.
$15 and $18 are big price point differences. Also, inflation is a lot less.
It's hard to have a dialog when it makes zero sense. I would love to compare prices but not when they do not match. If you have rack rate for back than vs rack rate now. Or dvc vs dvc... Or even ticket vs ticket without your personal additions and feelings of crowds.

Yup, and my dad pitched a huge fit at DLR in 1967 because a hamburger cost $1.59--no sides.

We got the cheapest sandwich on the menu at $1.25, tuna salad on white bread. It was school lunch tasty, i.e. pretty bad.
Right so compared to ticket prices that hamburger should cost around $30 or so. Actually I think Disneyland was about $3.50 then so the hamburger should actually be closer to $50

It's hard to have a dialog when it makes zero sense. I would love to compare prices but not when they do not match. If you have rack rate for back than vs rack rate now. Or dvc vs dvc... Or even ticket vs ticket without your personal additions and feelings of crowds.
Well then go ahead and start that thread. I’m gonna do this one.
i’m factoring in crowds because I feel accessibility comes in to play. It’s not a feeling. There is data out there on crowd sizes.

I have a feeling you don't understand how inflation works or how a company is run. Or that tickets and food don't follow the same kinda inflation.
You brought up the sandwich. I do understand. The price difference is not simply inflation.
What’s more is my post never said anything about inflation or that the prices should not have changed based on how the company is run. I never said I don’t like the price changes. I never said it’s not worth it. I obviously knew the price before I booked my vacation, i.e. I think it’s worth going.
I actually have a great understanding on how specifically Disney is run and what it is doing as a company. I own a lot of their stock and watch it carefully.

Last edited:

This. Wage stagnation is a serious problem. The bucket of expenses used to measure cost of living increases hasn't been reflective of modern living needs in decades. The real increase in cost of living is much higher than the indices reflect. And wages aren't even really keeping up with that artificially low number, much less actual.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter