Holy Snake!

Kahana-ri

DIS Veteran Needs to learn how to ride a lawnmower
Yesterday was the day for the yard. Trim up the hedges, pull weeds, rake-up leaves, and plant flowers – just a great day to get the yard in shape. I was getting ready to mow the lawn and was picking up the kids toys in the grass. Hearing a rustle in the too tall already grass, popped up the head of a good size black with a yellowish striped garter snake. :scared: Yes, I do know they are harmless and he was just as afraid of me as I was of him. That fact though that he and I were looking right at each other, instantly made me an all star sprinter making it back to the deck in less than two seconds. My four-year old that it was the best thing ever to see a snake, as long as we looked from the deck. :magnify: After about twenty minutes he finally went to the neighbor’s yard. :thumbsup2

I had a garter snake who spent lots of lazy afternoons sunning on one of my evergreen bushes. I hope it was only 1, so I named him Guardian! He scared my DH once too often while mowing the grass...we caught him in a burlap sack and brought him to a open space.

I try to be brave around snakes, they are beneficial, but it's not easy. I'm glad you were able to watch yours go away.

Bobbi:goodvibes

I love those little snakes that frequent my gardens. Maybe because we have very few poisonous snakes in my part of the world, maybe because I was only one girl with 3 brothers, maybe because the great outdoors was my playground growing up, but they don't frighten me. Once in a while they may startle me and make me jump, but frogs and baby bunnies do that, too.

Sometimes I think, though, that people are engineered to be frightened of spiders and snakes, as there are many that are venomous in the world. Call it our early primate history, but don't be hard on yourself for jumping and running...it may have been the way your great-great-great-great(X 1000) grandmother survived long enough to have you!

I'm not scared of snakes at all (and as the PP pointed out, that may also be because we have no poisonous ones here), but that would have startled me too! You need a dog like mine. He's a mighty snake hunter. When I am out in the garden he patrols the tall grass and weeds looking for them, and when he finds them he kills them. I actually don't approve because snakes are a good thing. Wish I could teach him to hunt the slugs instead. :rotfl: No wait, actually I don't. Had a cat that did that once. Unspeakably gross mess.

I just got to laugh on this.I was at a blueberry farm picking berrys a few weeks back.Now the rows are about 1/4 mile long.I reached to pick a good batch and behold grabbed a black snake(totally harmless)I made a 1/4 mile dash in less then 30seconds flat.After I got my breath and heart back I couldnn't stop laughing:lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter