• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Home from Peru - with tips

kristilew

DIS Veteran
Wow! We had the most amazing adventure in Peru! Still reeling from the flight home, but I know there were some questions and the next departure is just around the corner. So I wanted to share some quick tips:

Do pack a fleece or two. It is quite chilly at night and in the early am. Almost all the dinners are outdoors, even though it gets down to see-your-breath temps. They provided heaters, but those with jackets or warm pullovers were much happier than those without.

Plan for layers every day. You are cold in the morning, then in short sleeves by mid day, then pulling back on your sweater as the sun goes down.

The rooms are not heated, except for a little space heater. It works, but if you get cold at night anyway, pack a pair of warm jammies.

Everyone felt the altitude at some point, but it didn't do anyone in. Oxygen was always available and we were encouraged to take a little hit if we needed it. When we got to Cusco, we asked at the front desk and they sent to our room an O2/ionizer machine that we ran all night. It filled the room with oxygen and we all three felt great the next morning. This was provided at no charge.

After doing a lot of research on the local altitude tablets, we came to understand that they are basically aspirin and caffiene. Any of you who live in the South know this is also true of BC powders. DH and I each added a powder to our water bottle in the am and again at lunch, and never felt sick. Everyone in our group had a different trick, so this is just an idea that worked for us. Of course, no aspirin for kids, so dd got a coca cola and a motrin with similar good effect. (the caffiene speeds your heart rate to get more blood pumping, the aspirin cures the headache) The main prevention is to drink a ton of water, which the guides encouraged constantly. (Water was always available)

Batteries were affected by altitude for a lot of people. Camera batteries were going dead about twice as fast as normal. We had purchased a new camera and, based on advice from the photography board, got the new Eneloop hybrid rechargeables to go with it. These did not lose charge as quickly as others' batteries did. Just be aware and maybe bring a spare battery if you can, or at least make sure to charge it every single night.

As for current: appliances/chargers that were rated up to 240 volts all did fine on the current. This included everyone's laptops. Wireless was available free at both resorts. There are "regular" shaped receptacles in all rooms, so you don't need an adapter. If you have a 110 rated appliance (like the eneloop charger) you will need a converter. HOWEVER, the converters did not work for either my flat iron or another woman's curling iron - so much for vanity and looking great in the pictures! While the hotels' websites promise converters for loan, in reality they only had a few and these were always checked out, so bring your own. Maybe do some research on what kind is best if you want hair appliances to work. (I just had a cheap one.) There were hair dryers in the rooms, they were not strong.

I'm sure there's other stuff I'm not remembering, but I did want to throw these tips out there for those of you down to single digits in your countdowns. You are going to have the time of your life! Peru is so beautiful, the people so friendly, everything was so clean. This trip has been tweaked to perfection. We could not believe how much we did each day. Super super super!:)

kristilew, thanks.
I am starting to get nervous/excited.
Here are my random questions that you didn't answer.
Is there shampoo at the hotels, or should we bring our own?
What about getting money - did you use ATMs, and/or change - I started to wonder about having small bills for using in the markets?
Is there any cool "souvenirs" we should not miss out on getting?
What about restrictions on things that you can bring back?
Did you wear full wetsuits for the river rafting - was it cold?
How intense or mild was the rafting (Don't give me too many details).
The local altitude tablets that you mention are they readily available?
Was there a selection of kid friendly food at the restaurants?
Did it rain at all, should I take rain ponchos?
Do we need bug repellant?
I'm glad you had a great time

Oh,
One more question.
What about the pickup at the airport when you arrived (or did you go early)
Was it easy to find the person picking you up?

Wow sounds like a great trip!! I would love to hear a trip report and see pictures from your trip after you have caught your breathe and recoperated(sp). My older kids are itching to go to Peru(so am I ::yes:: ). We've told them we have to wait until my youngest is at least 6 so we have 3 more years to go.
Thanks,

kristilew, thanks.
I am starting to get nervous/excited.
Here are my random questions that you didn't answer.
Is there shampoo at the hotels, or should we bring our own?
What about getting money - did you use ATMs, and/or change - I started to wonder about having small bills for using in the markets?
Is there any cool "souvenirs" we should not miss out on getting?
What about restrictions on things that you can bring back?
Did you wear full wetsuits for the river rafting - was it cold?
How intense or mild was the rafting (Don't give me too many details).
The local altitude tablets that you mention are they readily available?
Was there a selection of kid friendly food at the restaurants?
Did it rain at all, should I take rain ponchos?
Do we need bug repellant?
I'm glad you had a great time

thanks for the questions! There are so many images crowding my mind from the trip, it's hard to think straight!

Here goes -

Yes there was shampoo, conditioner, and soap in the hotel bathrooms. Also bottled water for toothbrushing. If your hair is affected by dry air, and you like a certain shampoo for that, bring it. It is unbelievably dry up there. Also bring facial moisturizer even if you don't usually use it.

Money: we used atm's, which were easily available. Everyone took dollars as well. Even the old ladies in the markets have calculators and know the exchange rates. (basically 3 sols = 1 dollar). We did several time wish we had smaller amounts - specifcally 1 and 5 nuevo sol coins. You have to bargain for everything and you kind of ruin your advantage pulling out a 50. Once we figured this out, we got the hotel staff to break the larger atm bills for us.

There are tons of cool souveniers. Of course there is alpaca stuff everywhere - gorgeous sweaters, etc. The guides are very good about telling you what to buy where, and where the best of each item can be found. For example, you stop at a weaving center on day one. Our guide told us that this was the best quality woven stuff we would find the whole trip, but that if we just wanted a cute hat we could wait and get that for much cheaper later, and she was right. The main things to buy quickly become obvious (and repeat often), and you will have plenty of chances to get them. You won't have to hunt.

I'm not sure about restrictions. We bought several carved gourds and didn't have a problem with that. Also, dd10 bought llama and alpaca toys with actual fur (hair?) and had no issue with those. (THey love kids in Peru, and everyone we encountered teased her about the larger one of these toys, even the airport security guard asking for its ticket::yes:: ) Oh, dd also brought back stones and rocks she had picked up along the trails with no problem. We did rinse them off first.

The rafting trip was handled so well! :thumbsup2 We wore our bathing suits with clothes over. When we arrived, they had wet suits laid out for us. These were full legs, armless. We put our clothes in our bags and back on the bus, put on the wet suits, then they had windbreakers to go over the suits. Then life jackets and helmets. This was plenty warm enough. DO wear sunglasses, even though the ride starts in shade. It warms up and brightens up quickly. You do get splashed on the trip, and the water is cold, but you dry quickly at the altitude so we were never really uncomfortable. When the trip is over, they have your clothes waiting and tents set up for changing, and hot tea and hot chocolate to warm you up. The rafting itself is more a gentle trip to observe the ruins with occasional excitement thrown in. I wish I had known that ahead of time to calm dd's expectations. She spent a lot of time asking when the next rapids were coming up. On the other hand, the exciting times were VERY exciting. If you want more info, I can give it but you said don't tell too much!

The local altitude tablets were available in the airports, but we were not encouraged to take them. The guides pushed more the water and the oxygen. Some people tried the cocoa leaves or cocoa tea (Nasty tasting!). Honestly, though, they do a really good job of acclimating you. It was much less of an issue than we expected.

NO, there was not any really "kid friendly" food on this trip as we think of it. Of course, it depends on how picky your kid is. Most of the catered meals were strictly Peruvian, excecpt for make your own pizza night. Now, the Peruvian food at high altitude is pretty bland, and there were always several roasted meats that were pretty plain. I'm pretty picky and always found something to at least eat, if not really relish. DD, who will try stuff, often left off after a few bites. She did like most of the chicken dishes. She said she loved the chicken served at the kids movie night. In the restaurants, they did offer kid meal choices. However, they were never what the kids were expecting. The chicken fingers were "breaded" with the local protien cereal grains. The hamburgers don't taste like American hamburgers, due to the poorer quality of beef and the fact that the cows are grass fed.

Fortunately, your appetite at high altitude kind of goes away, and you're not supposed to eat too much anyway. And none of the kids on our trip had any real problems. There was always something plain, just not a ton of choices. The non-picky adults were happy with the food and the presentation was always top notch. There were always American snacks available on the bus as well.

It did not rain at all except for breifly in Lima. You don't need a poncho. You do need a jacket or windbreaker, or a good fleece.

You need bug repellant at Macchu Picchu. We brought our own, a Cutter spray, which did not work as well as the cream supplied by the guides. So you can just use theirs and not worry about packing your own. But do use it. There are nasty biting gnats. There were no bugs anywhere else.

I was nervous too, and the first day I was worried about my clothes, the temperature, the food. Then I was so busy having the time of my life that everything else kind of took care of itself.

Oh,
One more question.
What about the pickup at the airport when you arrived (or did you go early)
Was it easy to find the person picking you up?

Well.....We arrived late at night, at the same time as three other large international flights. The immigration line was incredibly long. They singled out families with kids and sent us to a much shorter line. We thought we had it made. Then we got to baggage claim.

They are unfailingly polite in Peru, so they do not remove bags from the carousel, even when it becomes clear that the people who would claim those bags are still stuck in the immigration line. They do not add new bags to the carousel until the first ones are claimed. We waited well over an hour after clearing immigration for our bags to finally appear. :(

Clearing customs was easy. Then we stumbled out into the main airport area to see literally hundreds of little Peruvian guys holding signs with last names on them. They were standing in a semicircle, against a barrier outlinging the exit area. We were herded quickly through this area, and did not see our name. We were tired and uncertain and it was overwhelming. DH was looking at me like this was all my fault. We were certain that they had given up on us as we were exiting customs more than two hours after we were supposed to have arrived.

Then dd says "I saw a Disney guy over there" and everything worked out.

He had been on the very far right side of the semicircle of sign guys, holding an 8X11 paper with the Adventures By Disney logo on it. I have no idea how she saw him, I'm just glad she did.

In retrospect, I think we could have resisted the momentum that was moving us through the semicircle, stopped inside it and really looked around. Also, looking for the logo and not our names would have helped. They guy was all in black, as most of them were, and did not look obviously Disneyish.

On the other hand, once I pushed my way through to where dd swore she had seen him, I yelled "Disney" and he turned around and immediately started taking care of us.

So I guess the moral of the story is just take your time and know that they will be there for you.

I am not headed to Peru (at least not this year) but I loved reading your tip report. Thanks for posting!

Thanks so much for all the info.
My big worry has been/is getting there and finding the disney people.
Once I find the right guy then I might relax a little.
We get in at 9 or 10 at night too and we are 3 "girls" so I am nervous about that.

After that I was kind of wondering about the money - somewhere I had read about the atm's issuing 100 Sol nuevo's and I was thinking like you said - it might be hard to bargain for something thats a couple bucks when all you have is 100's. So if I can change at the hotel that should work.

My 13 year old is a little bit not into excitement - although she did go on the roller coaster at the amusement park a few weeks ago - so at least I can tell her the rafting isn't too bad and hopefully she will be ok with it. She may be finally growing out of it though too - with the roller coaster under her belt, and she has done water slides before.

I'm sure the kids will find something to eat - we are all picky actually - but I know to eat when I have to.

Thanks again for all the info.
Glad it was a great time for you.

Thanks kristilew for the very helpful information and tips! You've answered a lot of my questions and alleviated a few fears! Only 4 more days!:yay:

Thanks kristilew for the very helpful information and tips! You've answered a lot of my questions and alleviated a few fears! Only 4 more days!:yay:
kristilew posted in another thread that you may have Chris on your trip as one of the Guides. He was our guide on the Southwest Splendors tour last month, and he was FABULOUS. He spoke very enthusiastically of the Peru trip (he'd recently gotten back from the practice run). He spoke so glowingly of the trip, he's making me seriously consider it for next year! I'm really looking forward to hearing people's reports on this trip.

Bon Voyage! Have a great trip.

sayhello

Trip report is done. It is really just our online photo album, with daily journal entries. I didn't edit the pictures at all, so if you brave the site, you will have to wade through a lot of boring family shots. But you should be able to get an idea of the trip, if you're interested. For those who've been having trouble with blogspot, I found this format from shutterfly way easier to use.
http://lewisfamilyperuadventure.site.shutterfly.com/

K

Trip report is done. It is really just our online photo album, with daily journal entries. I didn't edit the pictures at all, so if you brave the site, you will have to wade through a lot of boring family shots. But you should be able to get an idea of the trip, if you're interested. For those who've been having trouble with blogspot, I found this format from shutterfly way easier to use.
http://lewisfamilyperuadventure.site.shutterfly.com/

K
Oh, Cool! I'll also have to check out this shutterfly, as I still need to do *my* trip report! *trots off to read kristilew's TR*

sayhello

Thank you kristilew for the trip report. It was wonderful to read and look at the breath taking pictures. I head to Peru in October so after reading your trip report it will be even harder to wait now. I am so excited:cool1:

Thanks again for sharing.

I am finally starting to catch up. Back home from the June 17-25 trip.
I will just touch on the few differences we had.
Yes, we had Chris as our guide. And Alejandra. Our local expert was Maria Antonietta. I think she is the local guide for the rest of the trips. Chris is at least doing the trips in July, I'm not sure beyond that.
I personally suffered the worst on our trip from altitude sickness. I took oxygen the first day when we got to Sol Y Luna and then I took it again the next morning before we left - just to be sure. A couple other people took oxygen that first day. I think one of the smaller boys had a bit of trouble too into the night. I wasn't feeling tooo awful - I had a headache - which could have been in part from traveling - and I was breathing hard.
Be sure to have money for the weaving center on the first day. I got 400 soles at the airport and spent most of it - and $50. I wish I would have had more that day.
On the day that we went to the salt pans they had an optional excursion to a local pottery artist's studio. We went on that. A group of people were horseback riding that day but we went to the studio. It was worth it. He is apparently a famous artist. His house/workshop is beautiful. They have lots of stuff for sale - and they take credit cards.
The night of the food demo/pizza making many of the adults got sick - maybe half. We couldn't really narrow down what was the culprit as people who didn't get sick ate the same as people that did. Of course I was one of the ones who got sick. It was a stomach ache and then a need for immodium, it hit me in the morning. None of the kids got it. They handed out Cipro to everyone who was really sick, but I didn't get any till that evening. That happened to be the day we went to Machu Pichu. There were a few people - like me - who decided not to go back in after the initial tour. I was just not feeling good. They ended up having 2 departure times - one an hour earlier than the other. We took the bus back down to the train station and wandered around the market there until the rest of them came and our train was ready.
We had dinner at the hotel that night instead of a bag lunch on the train. That was something they changed due to the letdown of the food on the train in comparison to all the other food on the trip.
We were at Machu Pichu for the solstice so it was crowded - they had 4000 people there. Ali said a crowded day is 2500 people - this was really crazy.
We also hit Cusco at the solstice/Cusco founding celebrations. It was like 4 days of parades and parties. It really was spectacular. The parades go from 8 in the morning until 2 or 3 in the morning. The only thing was - we didn't really get a walking tour and for our "dinner on our own" Ali made reservations for the group at a restaurant to be sure we could eat somewhere - we all paid for our own dinners but we had a table. That evening was when I got hit by altitude sickness again - I was still eating just soup from the other problem - and right after I ate my chest tightened up. I think it was like a "don't go swimming after you eat" kind of thing. I think all the blood went to my stomach and then I was really oxygen starved. I told Ali I needed to leave. She took me back to the hotel by taxi and called the hotel to get the oxygen waiting for me when we got there. (While we waited for the taxi at the restaurant, they pulled out their oxygen tank - most every place like that has oxygen apparently). We stayed at the Hotel Liberatador (something like that - not sure of the exact spelling) not the Casa Andina. They did not have the oxygenator for the room they just had oxygen tanks. They wouldn't let me keep it overnight but they brought it up right away whenever I called for it.
Sacsayhauman was the in the same celebration mode. They had grandstands set up for some big event the next day. Really though the parades were great.
Those were the big differences.
Really, I was surprised that I got hit by the altitude - I walk 4 miles a day and do other stuff. But none of it was disabling - well the night I took the taxi back to the hotel - I was pretty knocked out but a few sessions with the oxygen tank helped a lot.
I didn't find the food to be bland.
My kids struggled a bit to find food they liked but they both said the chicken tasted much better than the chicken in the states.

Hey Kristilew...
It was great meeting you and your family.
I tell ya we had a great time and everyone was the best.
We are going to go on a disney cruise in a couple of weeks for the kids to enjoy. The milkweed pods are busting open so I'll get you a bunch I have your add.
I am just now getting caught up from being gone.
The cattle are doing great and the Alpaca had her baby on the 27th of june. it is dark brown with a white face and four white feet, it is between 10 to 15 lbs.and just as soft as downy feathers.
Tell O and A we said hello, and if you need any help finding a beef outlet let me know...... Cam

Hey, Cam! We had a blast with you two. Be sure to let us know what you do in 2009. Also, check out our website lewisfamilyperuadventure.site.shutterfly.com There are a couple of cute shots of you and Paula!

TiggerK - DH also got ill after the food demo and was in need of the immodium all morning at Machu Picchu. He revived a great deal at lunch time when I forced some aspirin and a gatorade on him, and didn't have any more issues. We too thought it odd that others who ate the same things were fine (I actually didn't eat any of it, so wasn't a good control case). We decided that maybe there was some allergen in one of the dishes. I'm sorry you were hit so hard.

It's interesting they changed the meal after MP. We were actually happy to have a good old turkey sandwich, but others must have complained.

Really it wasn't too bad. The trip overall was so enjoyable the sickness was just a little speed bump. Mostly I felt bad because I had to take my kids back to the hotel the one night before they could get dessert.
I'm surprised to hear that someone got sick on the last trip. Chris said no one got sick on the last trip but on the pre-season walk through with the guides - they got sick - after the same night - in about the same numbers that we were sick. Maybe your group just overall had stronger stomachs.

I don't think you mentioned your kid's ages, but what would you say would be the youngest age to take on this trip? Thanks for your report; we enjoyed it as well and look forward to doing it ourselves some day.

Our dd is 10 and could have easily done this trip a year ago when she was 9. Before that, she might have started decompensating by day 4 or 5 just from sheer exhaustion.

There was a 6yo girl on our trip who did great - at least as far as the group could see - she never cried or whined. However, she was the youngest of a blended family and had 3 teenage siblings who pretty much devoted their trip to caring for her. She rarely walked after the first couple of hours of a day - was always on someone's back. They also said she had been travelling internationally since she was a baby.

So I guess it's what your kid is used to, but I would think ABD's suggestion of 8 or older is about right.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter