Home from Peru - with tips

My kids were 13 and 15. There were kids from 6 on up on our trip. They all did ok from what I could tell. The guides did a good job of herding them off before they would get too antsy - like in Machu Pichu about halfway through the guided tour they took the kids away and left the adults with the local expert to finish the tour. Of course what a 6 year old gets out of the trip is a lot less than a 15 year old.
All the kids did good river rafting but the little kids gave up on rowing pretty early.
I think there were enough kids that the kids enjoyed each others company and kept themselves happy.

"The night of the food demo/pizza making many of the adults got sick - maybe half. We couldn't really narrow down what was the culprit as people who didn't get sick ate the same as people that did. Of course I was one of the ones who got sick. It was a stomach ache and then a need for immodium, it hit me in the morning. None of the kids got it. They handed out Cipro to everyone who was really sick, but I didn't get any till that evening. That happened to be the day we went to Machu Pichu. There were a few people - like me - who decided not to go back in after the initial tour. I was just not feeling good."

We are booked on this Peru trip for 2009..hearing about all of this sickness has me wondering...

Is it worth going if several people get sick every trip? Was everyone sick for a long time?

Why Cipro???

What immunizations did you take? HepA? Yellow fever? Denag? Malaria?

How early did you buy your air and how much was it RT?

PM me is needed. GREAT trip report!!!

Thanks!
Silvertraveler

Hi, Silver Traveler,

I guess "worth it" depends on your definiton. I think if we'd done this trip on our own, we all would have gotten sick at some point due to there is just no good way to judge the food and sanitation there. With Disney, we felt very safe. I think some people just have more sensitive systems than others.

DD and myself felt great the whole trip and never got sick, except for some very mild altitude adjustment. DH was sick after the feast night, but I would blame that much more on the fact that he ate huge helpings of everything offered, which was quite a lot and quite varied, and also drank the pisco sours like it was his job. He forgets that he is not 25 anymore. He was ill the next day until lunch time when I finally told him to stop grandstanding and take some immodium, aspirin, and gatorade. The combo had him all better in about 30 minutes. (He's one of those who hates medicine and believes he can tough things out.)

Cipro, as I understand it, is a drug that targets bad bacteria in your gut, sort of an antibiotic that works in fewer doses. The guides carried it, but it did not seem to help the woman on our trip who had tummy problems and took it. She told me that she always has tummy issues when traveling, so this was not something specific to this trip.

DD and I got Hep A vaccines and tetanus boosters before we went. DH was Army once upon a time, so he has had every vaccine known to man. You will only be in altitudes where malaria and yellow fever are not a problem, so you do not need those. In fact, we never encountered mosquitos, although the gnats at Macchu Picchu were awful.

We purchased airfare in Dec and it was $3200 for the three of us RT.

I hope this helps. You will LOVE this trip - it was just so amazing!

Thanks for all the great info - we are going on the adults only Sept 22, 2009 trip. Is anyone else reading this thread going then?

Thanks for all the great info. This will be our first ABD and am very excited. I have MS and want to know how much climbing there is. I am ambulatory and generally have no trouble getting around.

We are going on the Aug. 18 thru 26th with a post night on the 17th. Very much looking forward to this trip.

We're going on the same trip (and praying that it doesn't get cancelled)! We are very excited about it and decided to go in part because of this post!

We specifically chose ABD due to the other tours we have been on. The ABD itinerary seems to have activities for everyone and we get a personally guided tour of Machu Pichuu(?). The cost was fair and we are excited because this will be our 1st time in South America(not counting Colombia on the cruise). We hope it does not get cancelled also!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter