Home from SSR--Hits and Misses

Alexander

DIS Veteran
Hits--We just returned from our first stay at SSR. Stayed in the brand new Grandstand section. The room was beautiful, not sure how many people have even been in the room before us. Everything was brand new. They were still putting the finishing touches on the buildings as we were there (not the rooms though, they were done).

The Grandstand pool area is great for kids. The water spraying section was a blast for DS (8). The pool was still very cold until Wednesday when it finally became warm enough to swim in. They show a different Disney movie at the pool each night at 8:00. They have a really cool blow-up TV!

The location of the Granstand buildings is superb! Walking distance to the main buildings is a short few minutes. Yet we have the quiet of being "removed" from the busy-ness of that area. Had a view of the golf course and the river.

Misses--We have been spoiled by staying at OKW! The room was small for the four of us, and storage space was very, very limited. The closet was tiny and already had the highchair, portable crib, ironing board, and vaccum cleaner in it. We used the highchair and crib, so that left room for one suitcase. (Otherwise you can get the door opened or closed.) Then you had to move the suitcase to get to the safe. Really not a tragedy, just a pain.

Okay, the bathtub....We have a very active 10 month old who has been walking for a month. He could turn on the hot water by simply pushing on the handle (they are kind of an "L" shape and don't take much effort to turn on). We could have closed the bedroom door, but that really would limit the space he had to walk and play. All in all, he learned "No--Hot" very early in our trip!

The line for Artist's Palette was very long at times. I'm thinking if they continue this dining plan, they may need to come up with a better system for food there. So many people were "eating out" instead of in their rooms. (Yes, this was our first stay at SSR, but we've gone over there to swim and eat on all of our other vacations, and this was the absolute most busy it's ever been.)

We had a good time, but looking forward to going in August without the baby! He's just too busy for us to relax! Boardwalk here we come 8/10 to 8/17.

Glad you had a good trip, DW and I love SSR. Our only complaint is storage space. (There is none) I hope DVC improves this at AKL.

Can you tell me what bus stop the Grandstands were? When we were at SSR in December we stayed at Congress Park and I think we were the next to last stop - the last being The Springs. I am just curious where the Grandstands stop falls in. We are staying there in October. I have initially requested Congress Park but may rethink that to The Grandstands.

Glad you had a great time.
Kristie

According to reports, Grandstand is the first stop on the bus route.

Thanks. We might try to stay over in that area this October. It looked like it was going to be nice when completed.

Okay, the bathtub....We have a very active 10 month old who has been walking for a month. He could turn on the hot water by simply pushing on the handle....

We had the same issue with my 1 year old nephew, and the fact that it was the hot water tap made it worrisome. The good news to this is that on his next trip when he was almost 2, the thrill and amusement of this feat had been lost and he left it alone completely.

Yes, Granstand is the first stop. In fact, on some occassions, we got off at the Grandstand and walked over to the Springs - it was much quicker than staying on the bus to get to the Springs. Of course, when getting back from MK at 1:30am, we opted to just stay on the bus for the whole ride home!

DH gets motion sick on the busses, so we would walk over to the Springs (the last stop before leaving the resort) and get on the bus, then when we returned we would get off at the Grandstand (the first stop when entering the resort). It was almost as quick to walk from our building 85's to 88's (the closest building to the check-in building) as it was to the Grandstand bus stop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter