*** Homeschool List ***

Tnkbell, have you contacted the webmasters about the possibility of a homeschool board? That would be the best way to handle this.

I tried to PM you but your mailbox is full.

Wow! There sure are a lot of us hovering around on the DIS! This is our fourth year coming up in the fall. DD is going into 4th grade and DS into Kindergarten and then other DS is 3 soon to be 4 but he is just as into it as the older two.

We started studying the Story of the World in our co-op this last year and the preschoolers did it as mcuh as the older kids. Loved it. Now this next year at home we are doing My Father's World, Rome to the Reformation and some of the kindergarten. DS already knows mosst of his letter sounds so a lot would be repeating for him, so the little ones will do what they can from the older curriculum and we will play it by ear. We use Singapore math and Spelling Power. This year I will also be starting a formal grammar/language arts program using Primary Language Lessons. This last year, we studied Classical Music, for our elective and next year it will be Art.

Count me in!! :flower: We're getting ready to start our first year of homeschooling! :goodvibes I'd love to have a hs'ing board here on the DIS!!

Count me in! We are just finishing our first Homeschool year with ABeka, and we loved it! We are planning on using a different program this year for Science and History as we felt Abeka could have used a little help in those areas. We are planning to do educational travel hopefully this coming school term, outside of the field trips we already do. Our Disney trip is in September, and then we are considering an international trip (long weekend) this Spring. I'm looking at affordable places that we could take a Wed or Thurs - Sunday trip, doing HS on the weekdays and just having a good time on the weekend days. Of course the trip may or may not happen as we are also remodling the kitchen and recarpeting a very large room in the house. I can just see the $$ flying out of my window now lol :rotfl2: So untill we finish the plans for those projects that need to be done in our old farm house we can't make any definate plans. Oh, and we will be entering 2nd grade this year DD#1 is 6 and DD#2 will be entering a 3 day program at our local Montessori.

Kelly

DisneyMom5 said:
I'm always interested in talking about homeschooling and Disney, so seems like a good idea to me! LOL
We will be entering our 6th year of homeschooling, also with Sonlight. We will be using core 5, as soon as I actually complete core 4. (This has been a SLOW year for us.)
Any of you Sonlight users frequent the Sonlight boards also? :)

I am! I am! I post under the same name too. We finished Core 3 in April and will start Core 4 in August. Last year was our first year of hsing and we all really enjoyed it. DH is most impressed by the changes he has seen in the kids. They weren't bad kids before but he says they seem more content/happy. Hsing is one of the best decisions we ever made (next to DVC! ;) LOL!).

ETA: I'm obviously interested in a HS board. I posted under the CB thread but figured I should mention it here too. Thanks!

Kristen

Count us in, please. We are probably, an unusual case. I will be homeschooling DS16 (finishing 10th grade in public school tomorrow) begining this year. Our school just does not offer the subjects he excells at while ignoring his tremendous problem with math. I feel he is not being well prepared for college or a trade or for life. I would really like to connect with those of you homeschooling high school & we need a good, thorough math program--
thanks!

Jean

I'd love to see a Homeschoolers board. My dd is 4, and we have been doing pre-school type things at home and have recentley decided that we will also homeschool for Kindergarten. We'll see how things go and take it a year at a time from there. I'd love to chat with other disney-freak homeschoolers! ;)

Count me in. This is going to be our third year homeschooling. It's one of the toughest but most rewarding jobs!

I'm also interested...not homeschooling but seriously considering it! Would love to chat with people who are doing it about pros and cons and hear success stories!

Still on the fence about HSing, but DS is turning 4 in August, so, I still have a bit of time to decide. Really am leaning the HSing way though.

pirate:

Paula in CT

I think that this is a great idea! This fall will be our first year. Like a previous poster, I too, will be doing a state wide Cyber school that is actually part of the public school. It would be great to talk to other parents who are in a similar situation and who also loves Disney!

jonestavern said:
Count us in, please. We are probably, an unusual case. I will be homeschooling DS16 (finishing 10th grade in public school tomorrow) begining this year. Our school just does not offer the subjects he excells at while ignoring his tremendous problem with math. I feel he is not being well prepared for college or a trade or for life. I would really like to connect with those of you homeschooling high school & we need a good, thorough math program--
thanks!

Jean

Hi Jean, I only have a pre-teen, however I have found 2 great math programs, you may want to check out. One is Math U See http://www.mathusee.com , and there is a message board like this, through Yahoo, that you can talk to others about the program.
The other that I like to try, but will have to wait till Ds is in higher math is called Teaching Textbooks. They are still small, newer company, but seem really neat! http://www.teachingtextbooks.com Like you, my son was having trouble with a certain area in a chapter(fractions), and well it was time to "move on", too bad, if you child didn't grasp everything, "next". The wierd thing is the teacher told me, several of them needed more review!'m not anti public school, but it wasn't reaching his needs. And he was really struggling this year. And once you get more than one D that is telling me, he did not learn the material he needs to, to be sucessful in the years to come. He will forever stuggle, because he is so behind now. So what's nice about home schooling, is you stay on the subject, till they get it. And move faster along, when something is easy for them to grasp.
:teeth:

Thank you, Kerlynne! :wave2: I am on my way to give these sites a check out now.
DS actually took Military History, a grade 12 subject, in 9th grade, & was one of the teacher's best ever students. It was a fight to get him into that class. :sad2: The next half he took an 11th grade Mythology course, same thing, he blew them away. He has taken the Johns Hopkins CTY courses in Logic & Philosophy & done extremely well. This summer he will do their Civil War & Reconstruction class. But there is nothing more than AP History, 1 course, for him to take in public school. He will take that, but we will HS for the rest-
Thanks so much for the sites & an ear!
:sunny:

Jean

I would be very interested in a homeschooling board. We are beginning our 8th year. I have 3 children and one on the way DD 12, DD 10, DS 8, DS to arrive in Nov. I used Christ Centered for Phonics and Abeka from about 2nd grade on.

This will be our 5th yaear hs our dd. she'll be in seventh. we use curriculum services it has everything you'll need in a crate delivered to your house. attendance reports, grade books, workbooks and answer books. they even include a big book of maps to color. if you live in fl you can also join their school. l-cipssi. it is an umbrella school and keeps track of all the records for you. :wizard: :teacher:

We HS also my son(6) will be in first grade and daughter(4) is in preschool. We use abeka. So far we really like it. I am all for a homeschooling board!!!

We started hs this past March so we are really new to it.

We hs DS10 who would be entering grade 5 this year but I really feel he can do grade 6 work. Also DS5 who would be entering grade K (late b'day) but I already have him doing grade 1 work.

Ny problem is keeping keeping focused. I'll have an agenda for the day and if it's exceptionally nice out then I tend to be lax and we go outside. Although, once when I was being lax we took a walk and found a discarded bird's nest. That was really fun and educational for us. It was so amazing to see how well put together they are.

Anyhow, love the idea of a hs board! :flower:

Hi! This post was just pointed out to me. I dis all the time, but don't come to this forum often as my kids are older and a lot of the posts are about strollers, nursing, ect... Our kids are 14, 12, 10, and 7 so we are DONE with all of that stuff! Anyway, we just pulled our 2 youngest out of public school in April, and our 2 older kids will NOT be going back in the fall. I am SOOOOO happy! I love the dis and would love a forum on here for homeschoolers! It seems that this has been discussed in the past and there was a pretty long list of homeschooling families around here! We are using Sonlight, Apologia science, Saxon math, How Great Thou Art, Memoria Press Latin and Rosetta Stone Spanish!!! I am gonna be one busy mom, but I am so happy that we will be able to pick our own curriculum, move at our own pace (fast or slow, depending on child and subject), Make our own schedule like sleeping later in the morning and travelling when we want to and mostly...keeping our kids a little more protected from the world a little longer! We have thought about homeschooling for years and several things just finally got so bad that we decided to take the plunge. I really feel a peace about it all. It is not for everyone, but I truly feel it is the right move for our family.....Lacee

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter