Hong Kong Disneyland – Trip Report July 2013

donkeykong91

Earning My Ears
I've been a long time lurker on the DisBoards and have always found it such a rich and fun resource for information. Everyone does such a great job with their posts that I've never really felt I had anything more to contribute until now.

We recently got a chance to visit Hong Kong Disneyland for the first time and I thought I'd post some pics and thoughts on the boards. Overall, we had an absolutely fabulous time. We spent one day there and decided that we would take our time, enjoying all the sights and sounds, rather than rush from ride to ride.

The magic began even before we arrived at Disneyland as you can see with these photos of the train that serves the resort’s Sunny Bay Station.

One thing that I loved seeing was the bilingual signage all over the park. I thought it was particularly moving to see Walt Disney’s famous quote in Chinese as we entered.

One of the first things we noticed was how small Sleeping Beauty’s Castle was. That was a little underwhelming. But seeing the green hills behind the castle was surreal. It was also beautiful to see that Main St. was created from bricks, not asphalt.

There was a temporary attraction along Main Street: Monster’s University. They were selling a limited edition “Student Card Package” which included things like a MU lunchbox and lanyard. We passed, thinking it was pretty pricey at around $30 U.S.

They were celebrating HKDL’s 8th Anniversary. The number eight is a very lucky number in Asian culture, as you’ll see in one of the lands we visited later.

Our first stop was the Market House Bakery. What I loved about this bakery was that they not only had sweet items, but also savory pastries. From there, we went shopping at the Emporium because they were offering 10% off your purchase before noon. Another awesome service was package delivery to the front of the park. We gladly used this and picked up all our purchases when we left at the end of our day.

Cheese Stick

Chicken Pie

This was called Chocolate Danish, but I would call it a Chocolate Croissant.

Our first show was “The Legend of the Lion King”. Very interesting to see the differences between this show and the one at WDW. There was no audience participation at all. And many of the songs and acts were different. The songs were in English and there were two “monkeys” that commented in Chinese during the show. People seemed unsure whether they should applaud. But the volume of the applause grew as the show continued. (This was the case in all the shows we saw.)

I loved all the bilingual signs around the park.

The reason why Grizzly Gulch is “The luckiest little town in the west” is because it was founded on August 8, 1888. As I mentioned earlier, the number eight is lucky in Asian culture.

The centerpiece of Grizzly Gulch is Grizzly Mountain, which looks very similar to Grizzly Peak at DCA. But instead of a water ride, it’s surrounded by a roller coaster. I don’t want to give anything away about the ride itself, but suffice it to say it was about as intense as Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and combined a few ideas from different Disney coasters. Very fun.

We were very excited to finally arrive at Mystic Point and to ride Mystic Manor. The idea is a magical box that wreaks havoc, with a theme that I would compare to Mickey’s experience in The Sorcerer’s Apprentice. We enjoyed this ride a lot and would ride it again later in the day.

One thing that I’d read about, and was true to our experience: for some, the line is only a suggestion. For example, when we stopped to take a photo in line, there were people who would use this as an opportunity to move past us. There was another instance where a woman, who was there with 5-6 children, snuck past us when we left too much of a gap between us and the people in front of us. After she successfully moved past us, she called out for her children to follow: they began to weave in between the gaps we left. It was like trying to hold back water with a sieve. It was impossible to stop! One child even pushed past my wife AS SHE WENT THRU THE TURNSTILE! They both got stuck for a moment until the boy ducked underneath.

It was raining after we rode Mystic Manor. Fortunately, it was also time for lunch and we had planned to eat at The Explorer’s Club right next door. It was very crowded because of the rain and time of day, so we had to stand in line for about 20 minutes outside the restaurant. It’s a counter service place, so we were concerned about finding a table. Fortunately, the reason why the line was long was that cast members were taking people and seating them so they wouldn’t have to stand around with their trays of food.

One thing I found inexplicable were these plastic tickets. When you ordered your meal, they handed you a numbered, plastic ticket. This ticket had a pair, which was placed on a tray. The workers put the food on the trays, announced your numbers, took your tickets and gave you the food. The tickets were then re-paired and put into a box. My predominant thought was: what happens if someone accidentally drops this box with hundreds of loose, paired numbers?

Sauteed Rice Cake (Ddukbokki)
Very large appetizer, enough to share

Glass Noodle Soup
Delicious, like a hug for your tummy

Pickled Vegetables

Nasi Goreng (Indonesian Fried Rice)
Love the presentation

Korean Beef Short Ribs (Galbi)
Not so authentic but had good flavor

The rain stopped during lunch and thankfully this turned out to be the coolest day while we were in Hong Kong. We made our way to Toy Story Land which was such a whimsical place. It was similar to A Bug’s Land or Honey, I Shrunk the Kids: everything was giant.

A very amusing thing was the signage for the bathrooms. When you needed to go, you didn’t ask for bathrooms or powder rooms or wash rooms. They’re toilets. Funny to see what we would consider somewhat crass signs all over Disney.

They had a Duncan professional throwing yo-yos at the entrance of Toy Story Land. If you ever get a chance to see these guys at a Downtown Disney, I highly recommend it. They do absolutely amazing things.

Our strategy was to visit attractions that were unique to HKDL, and only go on U.S. rides if there was time. Fantasyland had rides like Winnie the Pooh and PhilharMagic. The line for Winnie the Pooh was 60 minutes, IIRC! They did have FPs but they were out.

As we approached It’s a Small World, the Clock Show was just beginning.

The line for It’s a Small World was, thankfully, mostly inside. It was very fun to compare this version to the ones in the U.S. Mostly, it’s the same IASW. A few key differences would be the addition of more Disney Characters (at least, that’s the way it seemed to me) as well as a less U.S.-centric presentation. Also, the white room at the end was much smaller.

The line for The Golden Mickeys show was pretty crazy. We arrived 30 minutes prior to show time and we still only managed to get seats way off to the side. And the theater is huge. We really enjoyed this show. It was mainly in Chinese with English and another Chinese dialect subtitled on a screen. The show was more straightforward and shorter than the one on the Disney Cruise.

We loved that they had more unique flavors of Ice Cream here: Black Currant Jelly Bar, Sesame Chocolate Bar, etc.

But of course, we still had to get the classic!

In Tomorrowland, we bypassed Buzz Lightyear because the line was 30 minutes (IIRC). We would go later, before the fireworks, when it was a walk-on. Other than the outside entrance, it is identical in every way to the one in the U.S.

We got FPs for Space Mountain, but we ran out of time to ride it. Turned out to be a nice souvenir.

Stitch Encounter was really fun. It’s very similar to Turtle Talk with Crush. It wasn’t as educational (like when Crush talks about the oceans) but it was highly entertaining. They also did not have the children sit in front, even though they had the colored sections on the carpet. Stitch also mainly spoke to adults, not children. When Stitch was talking to one woman, he discovered that she was Indonesian and immediately began speaking to her with some Indonesian words. That was pretty cool.

They have different blocks of time throughout the day for different languages: Mandarin, Cantonese and English. We wanted to go to a Chinese version, but we had trouble communicating to the cast member that we WANTED to go to a Chinese version. She kept saying we couldn’t because Stitch had to talk to us. So if you want to go to a Chinese version, don’t say anything to the cast member. Just walk in like you know what you’re doing.

Minnie Mouse Ice Cream Bar: This was a delicious mixture of Chocolate, Strawberry and Mango.

The centerpiece of Adventureland is Tarzan’s Tree House on an island. It takes the place of Tom Sawyer’s Island although transportation is still the “Tom Sawyer rafts”. We didn’t want to spend that time taking a raft back and forth, but now I regret that we didn’t because I think the view from the top of the Tree House is probably pretty spectacular.

We opted instead to go on The Jungle Cruise, specifically to hear it in a different language. There were three lines: Cantonese, Mandarin and English. Even though the English line was much, much shorter, I suspected that the boats would correspond to the length of the lines, which turned out to be true. Several Chinese boats left the dock before a single English boat launched. But the main reason we opted out of English was we wanted to hear the captain in another language.

We were the last to enter the boat in the middle section and so were supposed to sit in the space where people entered/exited the boat. A family from the back section sat in the seats we were supposed to sit in. The cast member asked them to move back so we could sit. No response. She asked them again and again. No response. I don’t know if they didn’t understand her or were just ignoring her. Finally, the cast member started screaming at them to move back so we could sit. And finally, they complied. As my wife and I gave her an appreciative smile and took our seats, she rolled her eyes at us like “I deal with this EVERYDAY!” LOL!

We had dinner at The Plaza Inn, which was supposed to be themed like Mulan. We were disappointed that Mulan’s theme wasn’t more obvious, but there were some beautiful paintings on the walls. The food was really good.

Lime Freeze

Braised Bean Curd and Minced Beef in Spicy Pungent Sauce (Mapo Tofu)

Fine Soy Sauce Marinated Chicken

It was pretty crowded for the fireworks that evening. Once the pyrotechnics began, we had to maneuver out of the way of children being hoisted up on shoulders, and balloons that remained high up in the air, and outstretched arms with iPads recording video. It was a comparatively short show, about 10 minutes, and none of the big explosions that are at DL and WDW.

We spent some time shopping and watching the Mickey fountain at the front of the park to avoid the crowds going to the trains. Overall, a wonderful, magical day which went much too quickly. We feel so privileged to have experienced this park. Even though it is considered small, I would still recommend two days to see everything at a leisurely pace.

Thanks for reading!

Great photos, I just love HK Disneyland. Did you visit on a weekend or during a busy period as it looks far more busier than when we have ever been.

Thanks, Meemoo! We went on a Monday and was also quite surprised at how crowded it was.

Great photos, I just love HK Disneyland. Did you visit on a weekend or during a busy period as it looks far more busier than when we have ever been.

Thank you for your report and photos! : ) I love reading reports that include photos, hahaha. I've been to Hong Kong Disney Land before. It was the first ever disney anything I've been to. And I was 20 when we went. I know what you mean about the lines! When I was there, my mom and I were in line for the Winnie The Pooh Ride, there were three elderly men in front of us, and they cut in front of the ladies who were standing in front of them. They started arguing like crazy, my mom and I just continued to wait patiently in line. When we got to the front of the line, they were still arguing, and the cast member just let my mom and I go first, so they could work out their problems on the side....

When we were in Mickey's PhilharMagic, all the guests were shouting, screaming, and talking so loud, I could hardly pay attention to what was going on.

At the end of the day, I still had fun. I didn't experience any long lines because it rained super heavy the day I went, and there was barely anyone watching the fireworks, so I got some really nice photos.

When I went to Disney World last year (my 2nd Disney experience) I was surprised at how well behaved all the guests were! :rotfl:

Thanks for sharing! You took some great photos :thumbsup2

I love those Minnie ice-cream bars - so much deliciousness!

In Australia we call them toilets too. On another note though, in Australia, the term 'fanny' does not mean the same thing as it does in the US, and is not a word you would use in civilised conversation :rotfl: I love that there are these sort of little differences even though we both speak the same language :thumbsup2

Thank you for the report... It is interesting how the parks are changed based on the country! I want a Minnie bar!!

Thank you, Dailymeel!

That is too funny that the cast member let you walk by those people that were arguing. Imagine the time that would not have been lost had those guys just waited for their turn!

So, people were talking and shouting DURING PhilharMagic? Did it have anything to do with what was going on on the screen? (eg, WOW LOOK AT ARIEL!, etc.)

Thank you for your report and photos! : ) I love reading reports that include photos, hahaha. I've been to Hong Kong Disney Land before. It was the first ever disney anything I've been to. And I was 20 when we went. I know what you mean about the lines! When I was there, my mom and I were in line for the Winnie The Pooh Ride, there were three elderly men in front of us, and they cut in front of the ladies who were standing in front of them. They started arguing like crazy, my mom and I just continued to wait patiently in line. When we got to the front of the line, they were still arguing, and the cast member just let my mom and I go first, so they could work out their problems on the side....

When we were in Mickey's PhilharMagic, all the guests were shouting, screaming, and talking so loud, I could hardly pay attention to what was going on.

At the end of the day, I still had fun. I didn't experience any long lines because it rained super heavy the day I went, and there was barely anyone watching the fireworks, so I got some really nice photos.

When I went to Disney World last year (my 2nd Disney experience) I was surprised at how well behaved all the guests were! :rotfl:

Thank you, zanzibar138!

Yes, we weren't sure how the combo of flavors on the Minnie Bar would taste but it was so good!

I looked up fanny. Uh, yikes! You guys must crack up every time you see the word fanny pack! :blush:

Thanks for sharing! You took some great photos :thumbsup2

I love those Minnie ice-cream bars - so much deliciousness!

In Australia we call them toilets too. On another note though, in Australia, the term 'fanny' does not mean the same thing as it does in the US, and is not a word you would use in civilised conversation :rotfl: I love that there are these sort of little differences even though we both speak the same language :thumbsup2

Thank you, souris!

Seeing the differences between HKD and WDW/DLC was definitely one of the highlights. I would love to see Tokyo Disney one day!

And with all this talk of Minnie Bars, I want another one too!

Thank you for the report... It is interesting how the parks are changed based on the country! I want a Minnie bar!!

Thank you, Dailymeel!

That is too funny that the cast member let you walk by those people that were arguing. Imagine the time that would not have been lost had those guys just waited for their turn!

So, people were talking and shouting DURING PhilharMagic? Did it have anything to do with what was going on on the screen? (eg, WOW LOOK AT ARIEL!, etc.)

I think I just encountered a lot of grumpy guests that day because it was pouring buckets. Maybe it was just bad luck on my part, hahaha.

Thank you for sharing your story and photos. We are headed to Hong Kong on December 13 I've booked 3 days at the park I have young children so we need to take our time. I got lots of tips from your trip report. Thanks again :)

Thank you, jenshell75! Have a wonderful trip! :)

Thank you for sharing your story and photos. We are headed to Hong Kong on December 13 I've booked 3 days at the park I have young children so we need to take our time. I got lots of tips from your trip report. Thanks again :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter