Hong Kong Disneyland Tickets, Transportation and Touring Tips?

shaycamp21

DIS Veteran
Hong Kong is one of our cruise ports and since we will have 2 days in port there in August-- we have decided to spend one of them at at Disneyland so we can also cross this park off our Disney bucket list. There seems to be so little info on planning a day at HK Disneyland and so much info is outdated so I am a little lost in my planning. Hoping some of you world travelling Disboards experts may be able to help answer my questions:
  • Would taking a taxi from the cruise port be the fastest/ most convenient way to get to Disneyland (and would that be drop off right at the park)?
  • Where would be the best place to get a one day ticket Klook or HK Disney website (assuming we have to make a park reservation)? How far in advance to purchase tickets?
  • Any tips in touring Disneyland, must do rides and/ or attractions? We unfortunately don't get into port until later in the morning and won't be able to rope drop (we'd get there probably around 12:30 pm) so I was thinking about getting the Premier Access pass (wondering if that is purchased at the time you buy tickets or can it be added after)?
  • How does Premier Access work exactly (do you pick a time or just show up to the attraction and show the pass?)?
  • How insanely busy does HK Disneyland get in August (our only day to go is a Friday)?
Any information or tips would be greatly appreciated. This is our first trip to Asia and I am also planning our trip to Tokyo Disney Resort for after our cruise so overwhelmed with all the planning.

Taxi is the fastest way to get to the park but I recommend you leave by taking the subway because the Disneyland Resort Line is worth seeing if you've never been on it before. There is a taxi/bus drop off area and you walk along the big path to the main entrance. It's super easy.

Klook can be a little cheaper but sometimes the HKDL website has some special packages which include extras souvenirs. I believe senior tickets (65+ for 100 HKD) are only sold at the ticket booths. You can even buy tickets on the day of at the gates since reservations for ticket holders basically never run out.

Do anything that's unique at HKDL: shows, Mystic Manor, Iron Man, Big Grizzly Mountain, Ant Man and the Toy Story area. Hyperspace Mountain is also slightly better than Disneyland's version but very similar. Jungle Cruise has quite a few differences including a very different ending scene. Festival of the Lion King is a little different from the Lion King shows in other Disney parks. I'd say that Moana is the worst of the major shows and the one I'd recommend skipping although first time visitors who frequent other Disney parks always want to do it just because it's unique.

Premier Access is sometimes sold on the website and sometimes through City Hall only but you may or may not need it. On a Friday, it's possible that everything you can do with Premier Access will have basically no wait with the exception of Winnie the Pooh and the Toy Story Land attractions. Since Winnie the Pooh is a slightly worse copy of the ride in WDW, you may want to skip it. I'd recommend immediately trying to see what the wait is for RC racer if you want to ride it because it can have long waits in the afternoon, doesn't have premier access and may close early. Along the way, you'll see the waits for most of the Premier Access attractions and can decide if its worth getting. Premier Access allows you to skip the line any time you wish by going to that line and giving them the pass. For the castle shows, you go to the front area. For Mickey and the Wondrous Book as well as Festival of the Lion King, you have to arrive 30 min in advance because they let in premier access before the regular attendees.

Crowds in August are rather unpredictable. Some days, you get almost no wait to most attractions most of the day. Other days, you get hour long waits for everything in Toy Story Land, Winnie the Pooh and Mystic Manor and 30 minute waits for most other attractions. Since the vast majority of visitors are passholders, weather can drastically change crowds. The longest waits will often be for character greetings and some will require you to get a standby pass using your phone after entering the park.

Taxi is the fastest way to get to the park but I recommend you leave by taking the subway because the Disneyland Resort Line is worth seeing if you've never been on it before. There is a taxi/bus drop off area and you walk along the big path to the main entrance. It's super easy.
Would it make sense to take a taxi there since we are unable to rope drop and take the resort line back to the port so that way we don't use park time travelling?
Klook can be a little cheaper but sometimes the HKDL website has some special packages which include extras souvenirs. I believe senior tickets (65+ for 100 HKD) are only sold at the ticket booths. You can even buy tickets on the day of at the gates since reservations for ticket holders basically never run out. Good to know. It will be just my husband, myself and our 11 year old daughter. Ideally I would like to wait as long as possible (maybe the night before) to purchase tickets since with a cruise you can sometimes end up missing a port due to weather or other circumstances and it would be a waste to have bought tickets if we can't go as it's not likely we will be in Hong Kong anytime soon.

Do anything that's unique at HKDL: shows, Mystic Manor, Iron Man, Big Grizzly Mountain, Ant Man and the Toy Story area. Hyperspace Mountain is also slightly better than Disneyland's version but very similar. Jungle Cruise has quite a few differences including a very different ending scene. Festival of the Lion King is a little different from the Lion King shows in other Disney parks. I'd say that Moana is the worst of the major shows and the one I'd recommend skipping although first time visitors who frequent other Disney parks always want to do it just because it's unique. I have been researching the different rides and I see TDR Explorer now has some recent HK Disneyland videos. Are there fireworks or night time parades?

Premier Access is sometimes sold on the website and sometimes through City Hall only but you may or may not need it. On a Friday, it's possible that everything you can do with Premier Access will have basically no wait with the exception of Winnie the Pooh and the Toy Story Land attractions. Since Winnie the Pooh is a slightly worse copy of the ride in WDW, you may want to skip it. I'd recommend immediately trying to see what the wait is for RC racer if you want to ride it because it can have long waits in the afternoon, doesn't have premier access and may close early. Along the way, you'll see the waits for most of the Premier Access attractions and can decide if its worth getting. Premier Access allows you to skip the line any time you wish by going to that line and giving them the pass. For the castle shows, you go to the front area. For Mickey and the Wondrous Book as well as Festival of the Lion King, you have to arrive 30 min in advance because they let in premier access before the regular attendees.

Crowds in August are rather unpredictable. Some days, you get almost no wait to most attractions most of the day. Other days, you get hour long waits for everything in Toy Story Land, Winnie the Pooh and Mystic Manor and 30 minute waits for most other attractions. Since the vast majority of visitors are passholders, weather can drastically change crowds. The longest waits will often be for character greetings and some will require you to get a standby pass using your phone after entering the park. I feel like it can't hurt to have the Premier Access and it seems to be a fair price for the one that includes 8 attractions which works out to around $50 (pp Canadian), not as low as Genie + but certainly much better than paying $20 for a Lighting Lane for one attraction like we did at DLR this past summer.

I appreciate all the detailed help and tips.:thanks:

Would it make sense to take a taxi there since we are unable to rope drop and take the resort line back to the port so that way we don't use park time travelling?

I appreciate all the detailed help and tips.:thanks:

Precisely what I meant. Taxi to the park but resort line when leaving just to experience it and to save money.

@shaycamp21 Please post your experiences after you go! We've just planned a similar cruise in March 2024 and I had the same thought about going to Hong Kong Disneyland. @gelatoni fan thanks for all your fabulous advice!

Just jumping on to this thread to ask about whether taxis will accept international debit or credit cards, or whether cash will be needed?
We like to travel cash free as much as possible… thanks!

Just jumping on to this thread to ask about whether taxis will accept international debit or credit cards, or whether cash will be needed?
We like to travel cash free as much as possible… thanks!

Taxis are cash only. And DO NOT TIP taxi drivers or at restaurants. It is OK to leave coins that you get as change if you don't want to carry them but do not leave extra bills as a tip.

Taxis are cash only. And DO NOT TIP taxi drivers or at restaurants. It is OK to leave coins that you get as change if you don't want to carry them but do not leave extra bills as a tip.
Thanks… is Uber an option in HK?

Thanks… is Uber an option in HK?

Uber exists in Hong Kong but if you don't change the number attached in the app to a Hong Kong phone number for your driver to call and you don't speak Cantonese, you may get a bad Uber rating. If you are willing to take the risk to your rating, it's only a little bit more expensive to buy a SIM card in Hong Kong that includes a phone number.

I think taking a taxi is much easier since there's a lot of them in places a tourist is likely to visit while you may have to wait quite a while for an Uber. But I guess if you don't speak Cantonese, it may be slightly simpler to use Uber if you aren't confident in your ability to communicate where you want to go.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter