Hong Kong - Worth going alone?

Mister Toad

Mouseketeer
Hey, I will likely be in Hong Kong for a few day in January of next year. I have been to Disneyland (California), Disney World, and Disneyland Paris, but none of the other parks. From looking around it seems like a pretty small park that may not even take a full day.

Main question, would I feel odd and out of place being a really tall white guy by myself? Unfortunately my wife won't be on this trip with me (I will be gone on business), but I don't know if I want to pass up the opportunity to go here, but I've never gone to a park alone and for some reason feel like that may be weird.

I just don't want to feel like weird American.

Thanks! Park look like a lot of fun!

I did Hong Kong Disneyland by myself - I'm a (not-so-tall) Brit. I understand your concerns about doing it on your own and feeling a bit out of place (I also felt a bit weird at first), but having done it I really wouldn't worry about it. Everyone around you is too focussed on having a good time to notice that you're on your own. Plus you get to do exactly what you want. The only time I really felt self-concious was whilst eating, but then when I'm on my own I do quick counter-service meals anyway.

I really wouldn't worry about doing it on your own - in fact I've just got back from spending 4 days at Tokyo Disney, all on my own, which again was fine (and actually when you stop and people watch, you do see people on their own). Just relax and enjoy it.

I say go for it. I went to DL by myself in August and had a blast. Of course I wished my DH could have joined me, but being this was my first solo trip I loved being able to do exactly what I wanted to do.

I say go for it. I went to DL by myself in August and had a blast. Of course I wished my DH could have joined me, but being this was my first solo trip I loved being able to do exactly what I wanted to do.

Thanks a bunch. I think I am going to go for it. Either way I will be in Hong Kong for a weekend, and I feel like I can run through the park on my own in an afternoon and evening. Plan is to get up, check out the sites for the morning then to DL in the afternoon/evening, and spend Sunday seeing more of the city.

Thanks for the input, may be weird to go alone, but how many opportunities do I have to go to HKDL.

I agree, go for it!! First time I went to Tokyo Disney I was by myself and I loved it. I don't mind being on my own, but now that I'm married to a HUGE Disney fan it makes visiting the parks that much better. I think Jan isn't peak time for them, so assuming that you could probably easily do the park in about 3/4-1/2 a day. It is a smaller park with less rides, so it's doable. Allow about a 30 minute metro ride from HK central station to Disney. There is one transfer where you hop on the Disney-fied metro train. The city is cool to walk around though. You should enjoy it.

I agree, go for it!! First time I went to Tokyo Disney I was by myself and I loved it. I don't mind being on my own, but now that I'm married to a HUGE Disney fan it makes visiting the parks that much better. I think Jan isn't peak time for them, so assuming that you could probably easily do the park in about 3/4-1/2 a day. It is a smaller park with less rides, so it's doable. Allow about a 30 minute metro ride from HK central station to Disney. There is one transfer where you hop on the Disney-fied metro train. The city is cool to walk around though. You should enjoy it.

Ended up going and checking it out. Really easy to get to and get around. I will have to make a future trip when everything is done and see it. I got a lot more of a "disney" feel at the park then I got when in Paris. Glad I went, took up about 1/2 a day since I didn't ride everything. All in all, really glad I went. Looking forward to a future visit since I absolutely fell in love with the city and would like to see the 2 new lands when they open.

Thanks again for the help.

I think you'll enjoy it. If you go alone you don't have to worry about finding 2 good seats for shows, or waiting if your friend wants to shop/go to bathroom, etc.
Plus if its a busy day, you can take advantage of the single rider lines!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter