Hoop-Dee-Dooped

The last time we went and they put the Strawberry shortcake insides covered in whipped cream in front of us (only selection available) I told the waitress DS & DD were allergic (true) but that I was OK with it. She disappeared for a little while and returned with 2 giant chocolate chip cookies for the kids who probably wouldn't have touched the Strawberry stuff even if they could. As for me, I did like the Straberry concoction even though it was light years from Strawberry Short cake...the innards are the best part anyhow.

BTW, has anyone ever ordered the so called 'Smores' from the American Pavillion in Epcot's World Showcase? Uhh, Smores are not pudding. No matter how good the pudding is you can't tell kids they are going to get Smores: chocolatey goodness melted with squishy marshmellows contained by crunchy graham crackers, and then give them a cup of pudding. My kids looked at me like they were betrayed. Of course, the Manager took it back for an ice cream switcheroo but the kids wanted Smores.

lyncruiser said:
I'm no fan of the show or the food -- but our boys (age 10) love it. So, back we go this year. I figure if I drink enough beer, and put ear plugs in my ears for the awful washboard thing, I'll survive. I was particularly offended by the so-called strawberry shortcake -- nothing but a cloying, gloppy mess.

Too bad we have to spend 2TS credits per person for it. (At least we're on the free dining promotion. If not, I just don't think I could make myself pay $200 to do it.)

We booked the 9:30 p.m. show as the reservations agent told me it was not too booked up. Last time we had awful seats at the back of the room. As you can see, I can't wait for this, ha ha!

Hey, you liked the show as much as we did! Though I'd like to point out that there are worse seats than the back of the room. Try upstairs, where your table actually faces AWAY from the stage and you have to turn around in your seat to even see the show.

On the other hand, maybe those seats are actually better. :rotfl:

thunderbird1 said:
Hey, you liked the show as much as we did! Though I'd like to point out that there are worse seats than the back of the room. Try upstairs, where your table actually faces AWAY from the stage and you have to turn around in your seat to even see the show.

On the other hand, maybe those seats are actually better. :rotfl:
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :lmao: :lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: :lmao: :lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

I was watching some old TV shows tonight, and I finally figured out what this show reminded me of.... Hee-Haw!!! My parents used for watch that show all the time when I was little. I never did like it - and still don't! :crazy:

We have been to the HDDR I am guessing over 20 times...yes we enjoy it. lol It has a sentimental (sp?) value to our family. We have never been sick after a meal there. The food is ok...I know it isn't Victoria & Alberts but...We do LOVE the bread and butter!!!

We have eaten at HDDR twice in the last 4 years, and had a great experience both times. We all loved the food, and the show was a blast! :)

My wife and I eat there at least 5 or 6 times a year. We love it. I went there ever time we went to Disney growing up and still enjoy it. We know some of the wait staff and they always do a great job (many have been there since the show started). It is the longest running stage show in America. Anyway, sorry about your bad experience. I do have to say that the show is probably not for everyone. Some people, even at Disney, are not willing to let their "hair down," and just have a good time. Walking around the park every week I see guys trying to act "too cool," for the whole Disney thing. If someone is overcompensating for a lack of self-esteem, or if they are insecure, thereby exhibiting macho characteristics, it is a tough sell; if you are going to Disney to act like a kid, a responsible one that is, and have a great time, you have to go to this show. Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and Disney is great about providing different opportunities for all different tastes.

otter215 said:
Some people, even at Disney, are not willing to let their "hair down," and just have a good time. Walking around the park every week I see guys trying to act "too cool," for the whole Disney thing. If someone is overcompensating for a lack of self-esteem, or if they are insecure, thereby exhibiting macho characteristics, it is a tough sell; if you are going to Disney to act like a kid, a responsible one that is, and have a great time, you have to go to this show. Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and Disney is great about providing different opportunities for all different tastes.

OK, I have 2 comments about this....

1) The wait staff was FANTASTIC! Our CM was very friendly and an excellent waitress. We never had an empty glass or bucket. I just wish that the food in the buckets had been better.

2) We definitely TRIED to have fun at this show. We are the LAST family that anyone would call stuffy, and we are definitely NOT COOL! I "fake laughed" the entire show in hopes that the kids would really find it funny. I had planned for my 7 year old to love the show and beg to go back every year. Sadly, that didn't happen. He asked me why we went!! Believe me, we don't have a sophisticated sense of humor either - we love SpongeBob and have been known to laugh out loud at the Andy Griffith show. :banana:

And the thoughts of DH "exhibiting macho characteristics".... :lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl: :lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

I am very surprised to hear the reviews. I have been to WDW over 25 times. We almost always make it a point to go to the Hoop Dee Doo. We were there 3 weeks ago. We loved every minute of it. My 2 and 3 years olds laughed the whole time, and I loved the food. To me its a great, fun dinner show.

I wasn't saying this in context to your situation as much as a side rambling. We go to the parks all the time and see people exhibiting this behavior. I hope that, if you do ever go back, that you have better luck. To each their own though. Like I said, this is why Disney has so many options. I never meant to imply that your family is "stuffy," because I don't know you so I wouldn't do that; I apologize if it was taken that way. Best of luck to you on your future dining experiences.

mickey0624 said:
I am very surprised to hear the reviews. I have been to WDW over 25 times. We almost always make it a point to go to the Hoop Dee Doo. We were there 3 weeks ago. We loved every minute of it. My 2 and 3 years olds laughed the whole time, and I loved the food. To me its a great, fun dinner show.
I think we just expected a little more from the show - it IS Disney....
But, I guess not everyone is as funny as SpongeBob....
next time we will just get some KFC, eat in the van, and watch the SpongeBob DVD! :rotfl:

The first time we went we sat right at the stage, literally our table touched the stage and it was a lot of fun, you see the facial expressions and have the eye contact and you know what they are saying because you see them speaking.

The second time we went we were way in the back, and we couldn't really see well, missed what they were saying/singing sometimes and the movement of the waiters & waitresses and those people coming around with pics was VERY distracting and took a lot away from the experience.

The food was good both times, I love their salad/dressing but not that weird sweet butter.

Cass said:
The first time we went we sat right at the stage, literally our table touched the stage and it was a lot of fun, you see the facial expressions and have the eye contact and you know what they are saying because you see them speaking.

The second time we went we were way in the back, and we couldn't really see well, missed what they were saying/singing sometimes and the movement of the waiters & waitresses and those people coming around with pics was VERY distracting and took a lot away from the experience.

The food was good both times, I love their salad/dressing but not that weird sweet butter.
Our seats were in the back, so I guess that could have made a difference. Probably not...

Less than a month ago we did the HDDR, and the following Saturday the luau.
The HDDR was fine. Nothing spectacular. Been there, done that now. I could find better food in chain restaurants. Just for myself, I would rather just eat at the buffet next door and skip the show. I am sure the food would be better than at the HDDR. Not that the food was bad. Just nothing memorable.
I liked the corn bread. The chicken was not crunchy, as someone mentioned. The beans would be comparable to opening up a jar of Bush beans and heating them up. The corn on the cob was okay, but on the soggy side. DH liked the ribs the best. But I have eaten better ribs at Tony Roma's. :confused3
I liked the luau better. Even the food was better, I thought. DH did not care for the luau much either -- but the HHDR even less.
But I think either are a matter if personal choice and taste.

I for one appreciate the opinions on the HDDR as we are considering this for our Arrival day next summer. Did anyone do anything else like the campfire or horseback riding when they went?

I'm sorry you were sick from HDDR, and it messed up your trip. A group of family members plus their friends went to HDDR a couple of years ago, and the whole group got really sick after. DH and I went years before that, and we left in the middle of the show because we just didn't think it was funny and we'd had enough. Luckily, we didn't get sick though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter