• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How are Southwest and JetBlue these days?

Donna M

DIS Veteran
I am thinking of using them and I´m especially concerned about JetBlue.

Everything went smoothly on SW for our recent trip. Our flight home was delayed 15 minutes.

We use JetBlue every trip. A few delays but no disasters. Never used Southwest.

I am thinking of using them and I´m especially concerned about JetBlue.
On a recent flight I had with them, they had to replace a part, then another part. We had to de-board, twice. They worked very fast to make these repairs and I much preferred getting on and off the plane, than having a cancelled flight. Also on another flight I had with them recently, a different plane never left the gate where my flight was due to board. They had to change gates and move the plane. This was an evening flight, and yes it was tiring, but Jetblue moved quickly once everything was ready. So the point of these stories, is that while they aren't exactly snag free, they seem to at least make an effort to fix the issues. JMO. Hopefully that doesn't change!

Southwest sent an email the day before saying that my flight home was moved 3 hours later in the day. Great, no rushing to the airport, right? Well, that next day, they changed the flight back to being on time! It was nerve wracking, and the check in line was jam packed. Barely made it to board. Then, the connection was delayed because the pilots were coming from another flight that hadn't arrived yet :crazy2:.

I‘ve had zero issues with SW and other than JB constantly changing my fights and flight times, once you get it finalized their flights have gone smoothly.

I just wish JB would set their schedule and stick too it. My flight to CA in October has already changed three time as did our flight to WDW in October 2022. it’s frustrating as hell to have to constantly change flights.

The outdated IT system used by Southwest could get overloaded again and crash if there are multiple major weather events like what happened last winter. Am not aware of anything SW might have done to resovle that and replacing an entire IT system won't happen overnight. While you won't have snow in the Summer, there could still be other types of bad weather that causes simliar issues. Never flown on Jet Blue so can't comment there.

With any of these smaller airlines, they typically have fewer daily flights so if there is a weather delay or mechanical issue, there may not be any spare planes available. You might have to wait a few days for a replacement to become available. Those are things to consider when booking with any of the smaller airlines.

I've flown Southwest several times recently and had very few issues (some minor flight delays but nothing major). Now hopefully I didn't just jinx myself for my upcoming flights. . .

The outdated IT system used by Southwest could get overloaded again and crash if there are multiple major weather events like what happened last winter. Am not aware of anything SW might have done to resovle that and replacing an entire IT system won't happen overnight. While you won't have snow in the Summer, there could still be other types of bad weather that causes simliar issues. Never flown on Jet Blue so can't comment there.

With any of these smaller airlines, they typically have fewer daily flights so if there is a weather delay or mechanical issue, there may not be any spare planes available. You might have to wait a few days for a replacement to become available. Those are things to consider when booking with any of the smaller airlines.
You keep saying SWA is a smaller airline, I'll keep saying they are usually considered the 4th largest fleet in the U.S. (behind AA, Delta and United and in 2019 and 2022 they were the 3rd). And IIRC last time I quoted this to you SWA was the largest low-cost in the world.

I'm not sure why you keep thinking SWA is a smaller airline.

I've flown SWA a total of 8 legs this year across 2 trips, in addition my husband flew SWA yesterday and will be flying back tonight.

No problems on those flights with exception to a slight delay coming back from Cancun through Houston to KC. Prior to that when landing in Cancun it became very apparent SWA is not the preferred airline there as our luggage took forever and by forever I mean 1 1/2 hours. Other airlines seem to have carousel and luggage drop off from the plane priority. The Boarding process was also different in Cancun as they shared the gate with another airline so instead of straight numerical order it was just blobs in portions of A1-A15 and A16-30 and so on but no pylons to line up and actually be in order.

Yes, if there are major system breaking events at all of their hubs east of the rockies at the same time there could be another catastrophe like what we saw at Christmas. I'd say it's more likely to see American get hit with Thunderstorms at DFW, and CLT the same day or United have issues at ORD, DEN and EWR the same day. Even just storms in ATL can push Delta off for a day or two. I don't see SW or JB being any worse off during the summer than any of the other major airlines.

The only problem I've EVER had with SW was a few weeks ago...our flight was delayed about 40 minutes, so we just chilled at MCO a little longer. Other than that, they remain our "go to" airline. Just wish they would add some non-stop flights to Orlando from Philly.

I had a flight PIT-MCO on April 18, delayed 2 hours due to groundstop earlier in the day due to IT.

Cant speak for SW But in recent time JB has been arriving early for us every time not so much in the past. JB does change flight times more so close to the departure day but will let you change time for free online. United has done the same but they will also change seating the day before. Alaska same but only times. This seems to be the new norm for now. There is an expected cut of I believe 20% of flights in the NY area so times will absolutely change the good news is JB was expected to have the least cuts but cuts are cuts.......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter