How bad is Dollar at MCO these days?

mom2mikel

DIS Veteran
We are flying in late morning on Wednesday May 11th.

I love using Alamo because of the kiosk, but right now my best rate (using carrentalsavers.com) is with Dollar. In the past, I remember the lines for Dollar being absolutely insane which is why I love the kiosks so much!

Has anyone used them lately? Just curious on average how long the lines are. I'm hoping a little less crazy on a Wednesday, but that might just mean less staff = same long lines.

TIA!

You still have time to sign up for Dollar Express I think. We used Dollar in July with the Dollar Express, we went right to the garage where we looked for our name on the sign board. Ours said see attendant so I was a bit nervous at first but all she did was hand us a packet and tell us to choose any vehicle in our class (then whispered if we didn't see something we liked we could take the next class up). We were fine with the class we reserved, loaded up the car, headed for the exit and were on our way within 5 minutes.

We were there last May with a Thursday pickup and had no issues. Last couple of times at MCO it's been uneventful.

I am in the same boat. I rented with Dollar just once. I usually get the best rates with Alamo, not this year. I did not have a bad experience. I am hoping for another positive one.

I'm fine with Dollar.

I rented from them two weeks ago; I have Dollar Express, so I went straight out to the garage. Everything was all set, but they needed to get my credit card again since the one they had on record had expired. With a 11:00 AM arrival, there was no one in front of me at the garage kiosk, so it went quick and there was no upsell on anything. They had me take any car in a certain aisle, much like you would do with Alamo.

With all else equal, I'd still prefer Alamo since there's one less step...do the checkin online and go straight to the car (no need for garage kiosk). However, my rate with Dollar was much better than Alamo was offering this time.

THANKS for all of the replies. I did sign up for Dollar express, but I'm wondering if they will allow me to add to my great rate existing reservation. I know that Budget would not allow me to add my fast break number on a discounted rate received from another site.

In general, their rates are way high again, so I'll keep watching. I didn't realize there was such a thing as Dollar Express - that would make life so much easier! I think we're going to give it a try this year. I have no idea what is going on with Alamo and the usually very reliable Costco rate over the years.

...In general, their rates are way high again, so I'll keep watching. I didn't realize there was such a thing as Dollar Express - that would make life so much easier! I think we're going to give it a try this year. I have no idea what is going on with Alamo and the usually very reliable Costco rate over the years.

You're in pretty early May, so you probably won't see the best rates until mid-April and more likely at the end of April or early May. May is a relatively quiet period until the end of the month, so I think you should see some good rates. March rates were miserable this year (and last year), so there's no guarantee, but keep looking!

I rented from Dollar March 14-21 and was a little worried - arriving close to midnight and no Dollar Express for me. There were at least 4 people working the Dollar/Thrifty counter so no wait. He didn't try to oversell me on insurance or any other junk. I was there maybe a few minutes and then on my way to the car. I was very pleasantly surprised. Return was just as easy.

I loved our experience; I signed up for Dollar Express, we arranged a mid size Chrysler 200. I walked to the garage, my name and row the car was on was up on a sign. The gal to assist told me to grab the car and leave unless there was a problem, then come back and they would accommodate. I was out from the baggage claim and in my car in about 15 minutes.

It is nice to hear these good stories. I feel better about our rental coming up in May. Thanks to the threads here, I signed up for Dollar Express before I submitted the reservation. :duck:

Never had a problem with Dollar. They have always been my number two agency after Alamo, mostly only because I like picking my own car. That being said even at Dollar if you don't like your ride you can go back up to the little booth and they will reassign you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter