How close are you to your breaking point?

I'm out and about every day already. I've been to the office. I've been to a plant. I've been to a warehouse. I've even been (shudder) out of state to meet up with a co-worker to hand over some training materials. I have done all the shopping.

The kids and wife have been confined to the house for over 40 days, until lately. I took them to Dairy Queen for ice cream last week (drive thru), and we tailgated in the parking lot to enjoy it. We tried going to a state park for a hike this weekend, but they were turning people away due to crowds. We found a cool spot in a river for them to wade around and skip stones, etc. It was good for them to leave the neighborhood.

I go back to the office on a schedule starting next week. I have absolutely go to get back to traveling soon. We have 38 production plants across the country, and they can't be neglected. ;-)

Yep, I’ve seen this many times as a teacher. And if I can look at a kid when they come in and tell they are sick, they parents most definitely had to know.

Do parents at your facility pay for the hours they actually use, or for a contractual minimum? That's been the main reason the teachers in my life have used their childcare providers even during breaks - since they're stuck paying for it anyway, they use the time for eye exams and hair appointments, household chores and repairs, lesson planning and professional catch-up work. They don't pull their kids out unless they actually have plans to do things as a family. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, in light of how difficult it is to balance a job like teaching that can't really be left at the office with parenting.

Do parents at your facility pay for the hours they actually use, or for a contractual minimum? That's been the main reason the teachers in my life have used their childcare providers even during breaks - since they're stuck paying for it anyway, they use the time for eye exams and hair appointments, household chores and repairs, lesson planning and professional catch-up work. They don't pull their kids out unless they actually have plans to do things as a family. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, in light of how difficult it is to balance a job like teaching that can't really be left at the office with parenting.

we are a public school, not a daycare, so there’s no actual fee, just money from the taxes they pay.

Some people are aware of the implications of the darker path, and the logic of "it's only 1%." I am not confident that the emotional toll surrounding those we do lose, are incapacitated, and have potentially long lasting ramifications, will be as minimized as people think.
I remember watching the first 3 or 4 episodes of a series where the premise was that 2% of the global population disappeared. Dang... I don't remember what it was called. First couple episodes were really good then it got dumb fast.

We don't have the resources for widespread testing.
I bristle when I hear this. We put someone on the moon once.

If you quarantined and tested negative would you feel safe visiting?
In theory if everyone involved self isolates and gets two negative molecular tests 2-3 weeks apart, forming a new isolation group from them would not increase their risks. Less certain is if someone gets a positive antibody test.

I bristle when I hear this. We put someone on the moon once.

But this is a very different time, both for better and for worse, and it isn't helpful to pretend otherwise. We don't have the resources for widespread testing and nothing about the current situation suggests any reason to believe we will get them any time soon. It doesn't matter whether that's because they're unattainable or because we just aren't willing to coordinate to get them. Either way, we are in the same situation and need to deal with it.

I don't believe we're likely to see the kind of collective effort that put a man on the moon in the foreseeable future either. That's just not who we as a nation are any more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter