How did 2020 work out for you?

From 1(worst) to 10(best) how would you rank 2020?

• 1 (worst year ever)

Votes: 10 6.1%

Votes: 20 12.3%

Votes: 41 25.2%

Votes: 25 15.3%
  • 5 (average year)

Votes: 20 12.3%

Votes: 11 6.7%

Votes: 17 10.4%

Votes: 14 8.6%

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • 10 (best year ever)

Votes: 2 1.2%

• Total voters
It started in January having to have by 16 year old dog put to sleep. March we attempted to vacation in Florida (from NY) but left after 2 days as everything in Ny was shutting down and we didn't know how it would effect us getting home, found out I had skin cancer in March, lost my job in June, had to have cataract surgery, my sister had breast cancer then they thought she had ovarian cancer (was not, but still had to have surgery), my new dog got sick and they could not figure out what was wrong ($8,000 in vet bills but he is ok now) and now my nephew (43) is in the hospital with covid (whole family got it from a teacher in the kid's school) Only highlight of the year was we adopted 2 dogs (bonded pair) during March. Had I known I was losing my job I doubt I would have done it. So no, not a great year but thank God we did not lose anyone to Covid.

The pandemic has been hard on my entire family, and some are having significant health problems unrelated to Covid.

Financially, I've had a hard time finding a stable job for years, part or full time, though thankfully I had enough side work as a welder to survive. This year I took a hit to my welding work when the pandemic started kicking in, but I was actually able to land a stable weekend job at Nordstrom Fulfillment Center since August, and it looks like my employment there is pretty secure, at least until I finish my Phlebotomy training and hopefully land a new job at either Kaiser or my local blood bank, Lifestream.

So it hasn't been all bad.

It has been weird. I feel like I shouldn't complain because on the quantifiable measures we thrived - DH is essential and got a raise to reflect it, and that plus the stimulus meant that even without my (admittedly small) income, we did better than expected financially. There were a couple of tight weeks early on in the pandemic, when all the kids came home, but then the boys got their unemployment approved and started pulling some of their own weight in terms of food and internet overages until they went back to work. We travelled a fair bit, differently than we'd planned - AirBnB rentals and the great outdoors rather than museums and cities - but still in ways we very much enjoyed and could do safely, which is more than most can say. And since our bout of flu/covid-like mystery illness early in the year, we've all been physically healthy. So objectively, I feel like I can't say it was an awful year.

But both of my daughters have really struggled with the stress of it all. DD19 feels like this entire year of college has been/will be a waste but she can't take time off without losing her financial aid, and she missed out on a summer of internship opportunities that she's worried will hurt her in the long run. DD12 has been a ball of anxiety since the whole situation started, worse when the schools were closed but nowhere near back to normal when school reopened in the fall, and for the first time in her life we're butting heads over limits on electronics/screen time and prioritizing her schoolwork and arts. My mother had her first serious health scare in July, at 73yo, and still isn't back to driving so I have new caregiver responsibilities that added a lot of stress to the whole household, because not only is it a new demand on my time, it also adds a whole layer of weight to everything we do because we have to think about the risks of her being exposed to the virus through me. Which then casts me as "mean mom" with DD12 when I say no to some social activities that her friends are allowed to do. And I never realized how much the little bit of in-person work I do (substitute teaching) contributed to my overall balance/outlook until it was gone. So from that angle, it has been a tough year. But I don't feel like any of these problems end when the clock strikes midnight, and that might be the hardest part: anticipating that 2021 will be just as bad if not worse, at least for the first several months if not the whole year.

It’s been tough on my daughter. My learning disabled child went to college and earned a degree in music and was two weeks from getting her teacher certification. The schools closed with ten days left of her student teaching. It kills me to see her anguish because she worked so hard and did very well despite her learning difficulties. But she’ll get there soon enough. The whole mess is nearly over.

I'll go with a 4. Nothing horrible has happened to my family. DH and I are working from home. DS is doing ok with online college.

Health wise, fine. But lost my job after 25 years and at an awkward age to get a new one (too young to retire, but old enough to be passed over), so that is going to be an uphill battle. I am prepared to be out of work for two years. Hopefully it won’t be that long. The last time I was out of work, it took nine months to get another one, and the job market was not so bad as it is now.

Absolutely horrible. My son struggled so much with distance learning that he is now a year behind to graduate, he was in an accident three weeks after getting a new to him car and it was totaled (not his fault) my ex FIL passed away the beginning of Nov (my sons grandpa), my ex MIL had a stroke the end of Nov (sons grandma), my best friend was diagnosed with breast cancer for the second time, and my mom passed away suddenly from cancer on December 13th. I am still so thankful for everything we have but this year was so trying emotionally.

If you had asked me in October I would have rated it pretty highly. Stress and anxiety aside, we had a pretty good year. Then my husband's coworker/mentor passed away suddenly. Yesterday we had to put our 3 year old kitty down due to a kidney disorder. 2020 gets a 5 from me. We had some great stuff, but the last few months have really sucked.

It wasn't a horrible year for me and my family. We lost out on a couple trips and Christmas with my Grandmother. But I also got a new position that allowed me to work from home a couple months and help my wife with the kids while she was working from home. We didn't miss a paycheck, no one in my immediate family had COVID, we bought a new truck and I managed to go to FL to umpire the Finals at the softball World Championships. Took my kids to see the Rocky Mountains after being able to show them WDW in 2019. I don't necessarily want to repeat the year, but it wasn't horrible either.

Was it USSSA?

I put better then average. At the start of this is March, we were looking for a home and bought it in April. My son got a job with the State of CA and after 3 days at work, he's been working from home. They have already told him they expect the work at home to last another year. My daughter is on disability and I'm on my retirement and ss so our income did not change.

Lots of ups and downs.

Positives
Started my bread making hobby
My son learned to cook and is enjoying it
Kids are doing well in virtual school
I work for an awesome company and have a very stable job
I can stay working from home all of next year. Office is optional.

Negatives
The pandemic really hurt my dh’s business. Between having to furlough his staff and close for a few months, and now business is still bad, it’s going to take a long long time to recover financially from this fiasco. The bills still pile up though for the business. Hoping for a 2nd round of PPP.
He hasn’t drawn a salary since March and unemployment ran out.
All the things the kids looked forward to earlier this year got cancelled.
We didn’t go on vacation this year either.
We were supposed to go visit family this summer but that didn’t happen.
The kids haven’t seen most of their friends.
The kids are on hiatus from their activities. Virtual band isn’t the same, neither is virtual Girl Scouts.

I gave it a 6. 2005-2016 were pretty crummy years for us. I am lucky that I finally found a permanent job in 2019 after years of looking. No one I know has died this year. We think that ds14 had covid back in March but no lingering effects. Older ds and dd are on track to graduate this spring and have great jobs lined up.

I went with a 5. I still have my job and I'm considered an essential worker. I cannot work from home, so I have been going into the office every day. I did not do any travelling (for obvious reasons) and I was not able to take my vacation time until late in the year. We only have 4 people in our office and my boss and I are the only ones who have not been sick or exposed or needing to quarantine. That left me covering my other two coworkers for their vacation time plus 3 weeks of quarantine for one and 4 weeks of quarantine for the other. Neither of them actually had Covid, thankfully. I was finally able to take my vacation time to coincide with DD14's Thanksgiving break and Christmas break.

DD14 is doing remote learning and she hates it. I am a single parent and knew I could not leave her at home to manage herself. My boss was kind enough to allow me to set up a school desk for her in my office and she comes to work with me everyday and does her remote learning that way. Even so, she is still doing miserably in her classes and hates not being around her friends IRL. However, she communicates with them incessantly during and after class via chat on her school provided MacBook. So, she has been finishing late/missing assignments over the break. Since I don't have to run her to school and pick her up, I actually only fill my tank once a month, so that's pretty cool.

My father has Parkinson's and got his diagnosis at age 80, he's now 85. He had a fall in early 2019 with a rehab stint and was back home again, having rehabilitated nicely. He had another sliding fall (from standing position back onto the bed and slipped to the floor on his tail bone) leaving him with three compression fractures in his vertebrae. That sent him to the hospital and rehab again in late 2019 and continuing into 2020. He ended up at a rehab facility that is also a nursing home and was, again, healing nicely. That is until the nursing home decided to get their claws into my mom and manipulate her into believing he could not return home without 24 hour care. They convinced her to leave him for one more month and then everything went to H E double hockey sticks. They stopped his rehab 17 days early among other things and his health began to decline. Then they strong armed her into putting him into nursing home care.

That's a very long story for another day, but in short, I saw my dad in February and then they closed down visitation in March. I saw him on Easter and then closed visitation again. I saw him on Father's Day on an outside visit and have not seen him again this year due to them stopping all visitation of any kind. Long story short, he was walking all over the place in March and planning to go home. By October, my mom and sister tried to visit him at his window, as they did every day, and he wouldn't wake up. The nursing home was not bothered and gave excuse after excuse. My mom told them to call an ambulance or she would just do it herself. A few minutes later, an ambulance was pulling into the parking lot. Turns out they had another resident die that same day and all of a sudden they started to worry about my dad! Really?!

Since October, it has been hospital, hospice at my sister's house, hospital, rehab, and then to my sister's house with home health services. He is not going back to that place ever again. He is slowly making progress and we have high hopes that we can still get him back to where he was before they got their claws into him. For anyone who doesn't know, Parkinson's is a slow progression of losing mobility and it does not kill you. It just makes life difficult and you pass away from something else. It does not move this fast and that nursing home is completely to blame for his decline to near death! Many people get their diagnosis in their 60's and live with it for 20 to 30 years. He just got his diagnosis 5 years ago, so there's still a lot of good years in him, if the nursing home didn't shorten his life. The hospital literally diagnosed him as dehydrated and malnourished when he came in. He had lost 24 lbs in 3 months and the nursing home didn't think anything was wrong with that. What idiots!

Anyway, even though I have been extremely careful with my activities, it was decided no non-essential visits with my Dad until the vaccine is available. My daughter and I will be in the last group of the population to receive it, so maybe June of 2021? That will be an entire year before I get to see my father again. Heavy sigh? I just hope all goes well and he's still here by then.

I voted a 6. DH and I were very lucky to not have our jobs affected. I am a teacher, so there has definitely been a huge learning curve to teaching from home.

I am very social, so it has been hard to not get together with friends or go to work and see people there. I didn't see anyone, including my family for the first few months, but now we have increased our bubble some and do see our family with masks on pretty regularly.

We cancelled our fall Disney trip, but did go ahead and go to the beach in July for basically a "staycation" in a beach condo. It was definitely weird to be at the beach and not eat out, go play putt-putt, shop, etc, but we had a great time sitting on the beach during the day and watching movies/playing games in the condo in the evenings.

Physically and on paper, our year was fine. We had just started a 1000 mile relocation process in mid February. Our timeline went to poop but we made it and love the new area.

The move, jobs, mental health of our college kids, medical scares and HCW family all added so much stress and continued anxiety.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter