How did you get your current job?

AndreaDM

<font color=red>Yeah...we mainly colored that day<
I'm in the beginning stages of looking for a new job. I've been here almost 3 years and as much as I like the actual work, I cannot deal with my boss anymore. I've only reported to her the past year, and things are getting worse every day. But anyway, I'm curious as to how most people find their jobs? Indeed? LinkIn? Know someone? I'm trying it all!

I ended up in my current job as a temp-to-hire position. I went through an agency I had done some contract work for previously and got hire on a full time, temporary position, which became a permanent position a few months later.

I will say, we post most of our open positions on LinkedIn and Indeed, for the most part. Most of the time when I see a position posted, I would go to the company website and apply through there.

I'm in the beginning stages of looking for a new job. I've been here almost 3 years and as much as I like the actual work, I cannot deal with my boss anymore. I've only reported to her the past year, and things are getting worse every day. But anyway, I'm curious as to how most people find their jobs? Indeed? LinkIn? Know someone? I'm trying it all!
I saw the posting and applied. I had previously worked at the organization, which was helpful. It is a job where I was qualified. I did need to take a pay cut of ~15%, but it was worth it for a better atmosphere, more responsibility and virtually zero commute.

I was the admin in my area, one of the graphic designers was moving to an IT role, and they needed someone quick to fill his position. I was a quick learner all those years ago, and they gave me the job. 24 years later...same role. Not as quick of a learner any more, which is why I am still doing it, ha!

Networking is the best way to find new jobs these days. You really benefit from having an "in" at a company to get you through to the hiring managers directly when roles are open.

LinkedIn is a good way. Job fairs, virtual job fairs, etc. My husband meets a lot of people at happy hours at bars and breweries in areas where there are lots of businesses around. It's a good way to meet people who work for different companies and simply make connections. He comes home with business cards and digital business cards all the time just by being friendly to whoever is sitting next to him.

When I applied for the job I currently have over 15 years ago, it was "open-competitive." So, I applied not knowing when they would have an actual opening. They happened to have an opening about a year and a half after I initially applied, and I interviewed and got the job. Sometime between then and now, they removed the "open-competitive" listing, and my job classification is now only listed when a position is open. We hired a new employee for our group in February. We were acquaintances through a mutual friend, and I let her know when our position came open. She applied and wound up getting the job.

I changed jobs last year (not by choice). The job I had now I believe I saw on Indeed, but knew someone who worked for the company (in another department). I called and talked to him, he said he would put in a good word, applied on Indeed, and got hired in about a month.

I applied for a bunch of jobs on Indeed, got some interviews, some via phone, some via zoom, one in person. This was the only job that I got an offer for however. Other places I didn't hear from for MONTHS and already had a job when they contacted me for an interview.

I was working part time as a bailiff as a retirement job when someone who I had known from my previous profession texted me and told me about a job that would be a good fit for me. I had not spoken to or seen or even thought of this guy in years. In fact, we had both relocated to the area from quite a distance away and I had no clue that he knew I was in the area.

I applied for the job and it was a good fit initially. He was "given the opportunity so seek another career path" before I was even there a year.

7 years later, I could not stand the place so I took a pay cut to switch departments (same employer). Very happy in my new home and already making what I used to make after only 8 months.

I honestly cannot remember how I joined this company. I’m sure it was either Indeed or our state Job service site but it was 9+ years ago. I got my current position by the manager at the time calling me up, telling me they were going to be creating a new department and encouraging me to apply.

I ended up in my current job as a temp-to-hire position. I went through an agency I had done some contract work for previously and got hire on a full time, temporary position, which became a permanent position a few months later.

I will say, we post most of our open positions on LinkedIn and Indeed, for the most part. Most of the time when I see a position posted, I would go to the company website and apply through there.

I'm seeing a lot of contract type postings on Indeed in my field (project management), some are offering very good pay, but I just don't feel I can take the risk to be a contract employee at this point. Maybe after my DD graduates college in a few years but not now.

I'm seeing a lot of contract type postings on Indeed in my field (project management), some are offering very good pay, but I just don't feel I can take the risk to be a contract employee at this point. Maybe after my DD graduates college in a few years but not now.

My husband is a project/program manager as well now (he recently retired from the military) and he is in a contract role currently, but as a W2 employee via an agency that provides benefits and handled all the payroll taxes and stuff.

A lot of companies have moved to this model for project management, but in the case of the company where my husband works, they are always looking to move those people into full time roles and he is constantly being given more responsibilities and working with different departments so that he is "visible" when something permanent opens up. The company has a good track record of hiring people on permanently once they prove themselves. I was initially hesitant about the "contract" aspect of this job after 22 years of having a guaranteed paycheck every 1st and 15th, but there are definitely benefits to working this way (higher pay, more flexible scheduling, being able to take time off as needed, albeit unpaid, but still).

Networking is the best way to find new jobs these days. You really benefit from having an "in" at a company to get you through to the hiring managers directly when roles are open.

LinkedIn is a good way. Job fairs, virtual job fairs, etc. My husband meets a lot of people at happy hours at bars and breweries in areas where there are lots of businesses around. It's a good way to meet people who work for different companies and simply make connections. He comes home with business cards and digital business cards all the time just by being friendly to whoever is sitting next to him.
This is how my niece got a fantastic job. There was an employee gym in her building with many companies and made a few friends there. One rapidly growing business needed people quick so they asked if she’d like to apply. Trained her and everything. Less than a year later running her specialized department.

My other niece had her eyes on a certain company. Each year she’d apply for a certain department. The third time she was hired and with them almost 10 yrs now.

My work and reputation were known to those doing the hiring. When I left my first job, my new boss had watched my newscasts everyday, and often spent their day playing catch up on stories I had broken. Same with my third job. Only worked 3 places before retiring. 12 years at the first, 16 years at the second, and 16 years at the third.

Last 2 jobs via a recruiter. My resumé is a bit of a turn off for companies, or at least it doesn't make them jump for joy. I needed a recruiter to tell them my skills and knowledge make up for it. I am not good at cover letters. I am good at interviews. So if a recruiter can get me the interview I usually do well.

In my field in my country there are more vacancies than people available at the moment. When I posted on LinkedIn that I was available again, I had several recruiters contact me within a week.

At one point I had 2 recruiters who wanted to propose me for the same job, the company had several agencies looking for people. Also had a recruiter telling me about a great job, when i asked for the company name, I found out I had applied for that position 3 year ago, and the company had ghosted me. :p

A the great thing about recruiters, they sometimes tell you things between the lines that the company would not tell you or put in the ad.

Also had on 2 occasions that the job described in the ad didn't match what they were looking for. I only found out after calling the company for more information.

It’s a long story, but here’s the cliff notes version….

The doctor I work for (he was my doctor before I worked for him) had an office manager with an abusive husband.

I had my store and I decided to close it June 2012

The office manager‘s husband murdered her and killed himself

My DH found out and told me to call the doctor to replace her since I’m now going to be unemployed

I called the doctor, who I’ve known for years and was also a customer of mine, and had the most awkward conversation with him about all this.

He was grateful I called and 11 years later I’m still working for him.

Crazy crazy story

I've been at my current job for 17.5 years but they posted a job opening online and I applied that way.
They still post listings online.
If it's a higher level position, they may post other places than their own website

LOL. Through a LOT of luck and timing. Without too much detail, our organization was doing a merger of sorts for part of the organization with another one. I had an employee who couldn't deal with the uncertainty leave for a new job taking a 20% pay cut. They tried to get her to stay by getting her over with the new company, but she didn't want it.

I stepped up and said I DO want it -- send me! I did have about 7 interviews with a bunch of different people/positions in the organization, so it wasn't an immediate done deal. It's absolutely THE BEST job I've had, from both corporate culture AND benefits/pay standpoint. I'm 55 and can see myself retiring from here in my same position (it's an executive level position).

I can say that throughout my career, I've seldom done the right thing at the right time, but this was absolutely the best move I could've done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter