How do you keep your money/valuables safe while at Disney?

The day I was told I wasn't allowed to buy a fanny pack would be the day I bought one, lol.

I do keep credit cards in RFID-protected wallets.

Oh my gosh, that is so scary. How did they steal his identity? What kinds of accounts did they open? How did you find out?

Stories like that scare me big time!

We have no idea how it was stolen but we know we were the 7th or 8th case in our (small) neighborhood. The police won't investigate though because the cards have been used all over the country and they say that it is out of their jurisdiction. Something is definitely fishy. We never put sensitive data in the mailbox (pay bills online) so I doubt it was that.

So far, they opened cards and charged on them at JCPenney and Victoria's Secret. They also filled out applications at Sears, Old Navy, and a couple of others that I am forgetting. There were also credit inquiries from GE Capital, Chase, and one other. They could be related to the cards that were actually opened as store CCs are often through bigger banks but we don't know for sure.

DH has spent a lot of time calling and putting fraud alerts at each of the 3 credit agencies and calling every credit card and application and reporting it. It takes forever because each call seems to take 15 minutes just to get out of the automated system and get to a person. Now he has to put an extended fraud alert on his credit and each agency requires different info which he is trying to pull together (W-2s, SS card, drivers license, etc.)

I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Oh...and we found out because we have a credit monitoring service through Equifax and they alert us whenever a new account is opened. So DH got an alert. But within days the credit cards themselves and other promotional data started arriving at our house. The thieves just open the cards and spend as much as they can because they have a short time period before you get the card and know something is up.

We know that they Victoria's Secret card was opened at a store in Chicago. It wasn't done online. Someone actually walked into a store and opened the card. We live in suburbs of Cincinnati so that is 5 hours away from us.

I wear a cross body bag of some sort (this one it will be a Vera Bradley mini hipster) for KTTW, credit cards, cash and my phone. We lock our IPad and jewelry in the safe and my camera goes in a bag in te stroller with us to parks.

DW always keeps a lot of jewelry, and all our spare cash, in the room safe. Never have had a problem, but as Robo said, nothing is 100%.

We use cargo shorts or pants (depending on the weather) so we have multiple pockets for stuff. If they have buttons or some sort of closer it helps. This is how we avoid fanny packs and purses.

I only have one cc that I activly use and it and my dl and debit are always in a zippered closed wallet/wristlet.

If I'm not using a crossbody purse I use a small wristlet type item that is in my pocket but the loop of the wristlet is attatched through my belt loop.

I carry the minimum of cash that I think I might need, the majority of my cash is in the safe.

I don't as a rule put charging on my KTTW card. I don't want to lose it and have charged items show up.

I actually am a fan of fanny packs for certain situations and I would use one no matter what someone else's opinion. I will probably take one to use for IOA as they are allowed on rides where crossbody/backpacks are not.

I actually follow a lot of this even at home. I only carry a minimum of cards/cash no matter where I am.

After having my credit card number stolen recently (after booking reservations for Disney both online and via phone..hmmm?) I am trying to brainstorm ideas on how to keep my stuff safe while there. Specifically I'm thinking:

- Hotel safes.....are they really "safe" from the housekeeping staff?
- Should I use Disney Dollars rather than a credit card?
- What sort of purse/bag do you use to carry around your room keys, credit cards, etc while at the parks? DH won't allow me to buy a fanny pack, so I have to come up with something else.
- Should I buy one of those RFID protective wallets/sleeves for my credit card?

As a frequent traveller for business, security is a huge issue for us.

1. Hotel Safes - remember, you're not the only one with the key. Front desk staff (not sure if housekeepers carry a master), facilities / operations, and other personnel have the key too, just in case someone loses their key. I don't trust it, and it's never large enough for important stuff. Here's what I do: I put my important things in a night deposit pouch - you can get them at office supply stores: http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/920637/MMF-Industries-Night-Deposit-Bag-8/?cm_cat= ). I put my items in there, lock it, then lock my suitcase with my travel lock. That way it's very difficult for anyone to get past both locks.

2. I never bring my credit cards into the park. I put darn near everything on my KTTW card and leave the credit cards in my security pouch. I bring a small crossover bag that can't be easily slipped off my shoulders, and is comfortable.

3. I work in computer security, and deal with RFID-blocking technology in my job. I use a Fariday cage / RFID-blocking wallet for my passport and any credit cards that have an RFID chip on it. It's incredibly easy for someone to sit on a bench with a small device in their lap and scan your information as you walk by. Then again, you can get the same protection by wrapping stuff in tin foil - though it's not as pretty. Law enforcement have been known to take a suspect's cell phone and put it in a pringles can and wrap that in duct tape to preserve the evidence before they have a chance to erase the drive. I have a friend who made her own RFID pouch by taking layers and layers of tin foil and covering it with colored duct tape. Probably cost as much as anything professional you can buy on the market.

Hope that helps. I know my solutions sound paranoid - and I'm not here to make you paranoid. Most likely, you'll be perfectly safe. But preparation can bring peace of mind too, and that will help you have a better time!

DH thinks fanny packs are geeky. But honestly...after the upsetting event of having my credit card used fraudulently, I really don't care if I look like a geek. I would rather be safe..

I agree. I think they are completely naff, but that hasn't stopped me from buying one ( and it's a really ludicrous 2012 Olympics one to boot ) to take to Spain next week.

1- Hotel safes.....are they really "safe" from the housekeeping staff?
2- Should I use Disney Dollars rather than a credit card?
3- What sort of purse/bag do you use to carry around your room keys, credit cards, etc while at the parks? DH won't allow me to buy a fanny pack, so I have to come up with something else.
4- Should I buy one of those RFID protective wallets/sleeves for my credit card?

1. We have always used the room safe in our WDW resort and have never had a problem. We keep our passports, extra cash (only carry what we need for one day in our wallets), jewellery, prescription meds, electronics that we aren't taking into the park, extra credit cards (we only take one into the parks) in the safe.

2. No. They're only good at Disney. Same with the gift cards. We keep a small amount of cash in our wallets (around $100 each) and charge most things on our KTTW. We also carry one credit card as a back up.

3. First of all: say WHAAAT??? I can think of three alternatives: a) get a new DH 2) give him a life lesson he'll never forget iii) use a cross body bag like mine- it's very secure, I can easily access the contents, it doesn't get in the way on rides, and it holds more than most waist packs. DH carries the bulkier stuff in his backpack.

4. If you have a card(s) with a RFID chip then this would be prudent. If not, then why bother?

The biggest advice I can give is to use credit cards the entire time. From the time you get out of your car (if you're driving) or the time you arrive at your local airport. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT, use debit cards or gift cards.

If someone gets your cc number and charges something, you can alaways refute the charges. Yes, you can do the same with a gift card or debit card, BUT the main difference is if it is done on a CC, you still have your money while the charge is being refuted. If it happens on a gift card or debit card, the bank holds your money. if you can apply your disney redeption card to your vacation before you go, thats what you need to do. Then, just keep track of what you spend while in disney and pay it off when you get home.

The safes in the room are safe and are a good option for storing valuables in the room. As far as carrying your personal important info, I use a bifold business card holder as my wallet and keep it in my front pocket. In it I keep room key, health insurance cards, an ID (not my license, I ALWAYS bring a second one so if you lose it you can do not have any issues at the airport on the return flight) and some cash.

After having my credit card number stolen recently (after booking reservations for Disney both online and via phone..hmmm?) I am trying to brainstorm ideas on how to keep my stuff safe while there. Specifically I'm thinking:

- Hotel safes.....are they really "safe" from the housekeeping staff?
- Should I use Disney Dollars rather than a credit card?
- What sort of purse/bag do you use to carry around your room keys, credit cards, etc while at the parks? DH won't allow me to buy a fanny pack, so I have to come up with something else.
- Should I buy one of those RFID protective wallets/sleeves for my credit card?

I really the PacSafe products.

Here is one that may do the trick

http://pacsafe.com/stashsafe-100-gii-anti-theft-fanny-pack

This pretty much has everything you want. It block RFI, and the straps are "slash resistant", meaning you can lock this to a bench or table leg and someone isn't going to run off with it without some major effort involved. The down sid is that it is a fanny pack. Maybe your husband should carry everything in his pockets if he is anti-fanny pack?

PacSafe does offer other 'non-fanny pack' options. They are not cheap, but you can decide if the extra measure of protection is worth the price.

Thanks for all of the advice everyone!!!

I like that REI hip pack, and I think I'll just leave my debit card at home. Why even take the chance.

3littlecuties - I'm so sorry that happened. It seems awfully fishy if several others in your neighborhood had the same thing happen. Sounds like it was the postman or maybe someone that works for the city that sold all of the data? Tell your DH to put a permanent (well, 7-year) security freeze on his credit. Sounds like he might already be doing that.

We keep all valuables in the room safe. Never had a problem. We take limited cash and one credit card to the parks. (And we only take the credit card b/c it is a Disney card and we get the free pic at Epcot with it, otherwise, we wouldn't take it.) We charge everything to our room.

I use over the shoulder Coach "swingpack". It is small and I don't have to "carry" it. I have to say I am with your DH on the fanny pack.....

1- Hotel safes.....are they really "safe" from the housekeeping staff?
2- Should I use Disney Dollars rather than a credit card?
3- What sort of purse/bag do you use to carry around your room keys, credit cards, etc while at the parks? DH won't allow me to buy a fanny pack, so I have to come up with something else.
4- Should I buy one of those RFID protective wallets/sleeves for my credit card?

1.) Probably not---you'd need another key should you lose the one in the safe and need to get to your stuff. The hotel likely has a master key. Who has the master key is the big question. We never use the safes on property or any hotel for this reason.

2.) Disney Dollars are like cash--lose them, and well, there's no way to know they were yours.

3.) I just keep everything in my wallet in my pocket...no fanny packs or anything easily snatchable.

4.) Only if your credit card has an RFID chip in it, otherwise having the protector sleeves makes no difference. There should be a note on the card if it has the RFID chip. If you'd rather one without the chip, call your card company and request one without it. I have seen no positive benefit to RFID in credit cards.

The only valuable thing that often stays in my room is my mp3 player, and that I keep at the bottom of my duffel bag full of clothes. Its inconspicuous. If I left it on the table all day, well, then I'm asking for trouble. ;) Use common sense and a majority of the time you'll be absolutely safe.

DH and I always use the room safe and have never had a problem. If you lose the key to the room safe they have to come and replace the lock as there is not a "spare" key. Had this happen one year at POR. (DH lost the key).

The WDW hotel safes only have one key. NO ONE, not housekeeping or front desk, has a duplicate or master. If you lose the key, like the person I quoted, they have to have a licensed locksmith come in an replace the lock, which you will be charged for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter