How do you secure a TV in your vehicle?

Leigha

DIS Veteran
I remember the last time we went to WDW the big talk was strapping these things down but since we flew that time I didn't really pay that much attention. We are driving this time and would like to find a way to secure the TV we have without spending a lot of money. Please let me know how you do it!:)

Here's a thread that discusses it: Car TV/VCR
There are a couple of older threads, but you can't find them unless the search function is working.

I found another thread.

We already have the tv and I think it is a little larger than 9". Where might I find the straps that you were discussing?

We put the TV/VCR between the two front seats of our van, on the floor. We prop the front of it up off the ground with a brick or piece of wood. Then we use heavy duty straps that we got at Costco to strap it down, but tying the straps around the base of the front seats. It works really well, and although I was skeptical at first, it really is VERY secure. We also put a piece of velcro on top of the tv, and velcro the remote to it. Saves searching around all the time for the remote!

You can find the heavy duty straps at an automotive store or I've seen them at Target. Anything that's not fastened down could fly in an accident.
The straps are similar to the ones that we use in our adapted van to tie down my DD's wheelchair. I learned a lot about what can happen to things in an accident when we got that van. They really stress to you how securely things (not just a wheelchair) need to be fastened down.
The straps are of material that doesn't stretch and they have a ratchet or a clamp that lets you pull the straps tight and then secures them in that tightened position. You'd need to secure it so it can't move in any direction, not just so it can't move up.

You might also try J.C.Whitney. Their website is of the same name and they have been in the automotive and accessories buisiness for years. They have the holder that straps around your seats and hold a 9"tv/vcr combo.

Thanks for the tip on the J. C. Whitney site! I just went out and ordered the carrier. It was a little pricey at $50, but we've made lots of trips without our 9" combo TV/VCR secured, and it has made me really nervous! Once all 3 kids were old enough to be interested in the TV, we started propping it up on the arm rests between the two middle seats with nothing securing it (other than my husband using it as an arm rest.) The 'case' approach might also provide the added benefit of sending the sound in the direction of the kids.....always drove me crazy that the speaker pointed toward the front so in order for the kids to hear, the TV/VCR is needed to be blaring! Anyway, just crossed off one thing from my 'million-mom-things-to-worry-about list!' Thanks again!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter