How do you" tip" ( bribe) the desk clerk?

Gail from Nova Scotia

Earning My Ears
I have never greased someone's palm for a better deal in my life!(Must be the unassuming," I'm sorry I don't want to bother you" canadian trait in me ;) ;)
So how do you actually do it? Do you take out your money first, lay it on the counter and ask for an upgrade? Or do you say something like "I'll make it worth your while if you upgrade me?!!
How much do you give the desk clerk?
Walk me through this!!
I probably would never have the guts to actually do this but would like to daydream about it!!:smooth:
Gail

:) This is a very good topic! I myself rarely do this sort of thing, it is harder to pull off properly than one might think. And you usually end up looking like a fool. This is where watching alot of television and movies comes in handy. You could saysomething like: "Me and my freind "Jackson"would like a room upgrade. ;) ;) ", but I suppose it would be better just to ask if it would be possible to get one. Or go to http://www.loewshotels.com for info on a Loew's Membership card that will get you a free room upgrade plus some goodies delivered to your room. I think there are other ways to get an upgrade too.

PS: If the hotel is full you can't get an upgrade.

I have also wondered about this topic. It looks so easy in the movies. Guy goes into a fancy restaurant and flashes some paper money discreetly asking for the nicest table and they get what they ask for. Also seen the disaster ones where the guy pulls out a pocket full of change and half falls on the floor as he hands it over. That person just :rolleyes: as if to say you have got to be kidding. I never tried the bribe, but when I was there in March, I asked for possible upgrade and they said they had none.....not even poolview? Not sure if it was because I had garden view and appeared cheap or if they truly had no rooms available. I think I would rather ask for an upgrade and be told no then offer a bribe and be told no...how embarrassing would that be? I would look like a :jester: . Sure could use some tips. Like Gail said....maybe fold the money long way between your fingers and extend it toward the counter at the CM as you ask for possible upgrade? Radar made it sound so easy. I would never be so lucky, but would love to get that upgrade to concierge from poolview. Would $20 be enough of a bribe considering the $100 a night difference in price?

I'm thinking that since everybody is doing it, and the difference is like $100 a night, would offer $50 without blinking especially with a multiple night stay. I would just hold the bill until I was sure you get the upgrade,
hey I don't do this often eitherbut I do know that all things are negotiable. I also had scouted out by asking the operator at mbooking the res. how crowded it was and figured to hit it at a slow time. I'm sure if you hit it on a Sat. it probably isn't gonna happen. I'm always curious why people are so embarrased, heck you don't know these people from adam, figured you are like me took a year to save up the $$$, spent a mortgage payment on park admission, yea I'm gonna ask, hope you do too.Rejection is a part of life, go for it...

My take on the matter??? I think Disney CM's are trained NOT to be bribed!!! I don't think you can "bribe" your way to a better room. There seems to be no consistent variable as to why some get an upgrade and some don't.....I think it depends on #1) the availability of rooms to upgrade to AND #2) the "whim" of the CM who is checking you in....

It's like calling CRO and talking w/ the CM's there....They can be night and day from each other! I called one morning and got one CM who had as much personality as a rock....He gave me little help at all in answering my questions (as a matter of fact, he gave me some incorrect information!) Then, I called the next morning and spoke with a wonderful CM who spent about 1/2 hour with me, giving me all sorts of pointers and tips to make our vacation perfect!

The point??? If the first CM I talked to also worked at the front desk at check in, I guarantee I could give him $1,000 and he wouldn't do anything for me.....On the other hand, the 2nd CM that I talked with, if she worked at a front desk, I imagine she would do everything possible to make my stay perfect and would never take a "tip"!

I think your best bet is to be chatty(in a nice way) at check in, expressing how special this trip is to you....especially if it's your anniversary, honeymoon, grandma's first time....
If you want to be bolder, maybe say something like, "I hope I booked the right kind of room.... I really wanted a XXX (water view or whatever upgrade you wanted), but didn't think we could afford it." Then, I would drop it! You've made the hint....if the CM is the type to pick up on it and do something about it, then they will if they can. If they don't get the hint, then all the money in the world won't change what they do for you!!!

And, the bottom line is, if you expect nothing, you won't be disappointed. If you then do get an upgrade, it will be a pleasant surprise.

I worked in hotels for many years starting at the front desk. I remember clearly---and this was 19 years ago, a man that came in and wanted a room. The Hotel was sold out. He flashed a $100 in my face and wanted a room. (Do I mention here, he only needed it for an hour?) Anyway, he was sooooo insistent that there was a room and that it was okay for me to accept the tip. He left after being extremely mad.

On the other hand, I got an upgrade already by simply calling Universal Studios reservations and telling them I got a cheaper price through an airline package. The man I spoke to was very chatty and nice and upgraded us to bayview from garden, so I booked with them instead of the airline, naturally. Then I enrolled for the Loew's first card and then called the front desk of the hotel and the front desk clerk said that yes, they upgrade when you check in. So, due to the nice reservation person and hopefully Loew's first card, I'll get two upgrades, the front desk told be to be sure and call reservations to let them know my Loew's First card number when I get the number before I check-in, like others, I'd be too embarrassed to flash money. Nor would I feel comfortable about it. Good luck to you

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter