How do you use your ownership?

Definitely #1. Our travels are over 90% over the Christmas holidays and it’s been the Lodge for 30 years (even before DVC) and Beach Club for quick access for Holidays around the World. We have stayed at Saratoga, Boardwalk, AKL, OKW and Aulanai also.

Definitely #1. Our travels are over 90% over the Christmas holidays and it’s been the Lodge for 30 years (even before DVC) and Beach Club for quick access for Holidays around the World. We have stayed at Saratoga, Boardwalk, AKL, OKW and Aulanai also.
This Christmas will be our first DVC-but-not-at-WDW Christmas trip: Managed to snag a VGC at 8am yesterday and I'm still basking in the glow.... which may be the glow of burning so many points...

We are heavy at VGF because I love being there at Christmas, but I just did a look at availability and it's still possible to book a full Christmas week at SSR, OKW, HHI and VB, I believe, in various 1, 2br and even some studios. I was a little surprised but it's good to know that it's still possible at 7 months.

... and also at a Poly bungalow (1000 points) and a CC Cabin (800+). Ha. Not....

Due to work and call schedules, we have missed Christmas/New Years at WDW since 2021-2022. Guess we'll miss it again but VGC will make up for it.

2, 4, and wannabe 7s. We always want Riviera as part of any stay we do, but we're tired of split stays now. My goal is 2x a year; one trip a week at Riviera and then another shorter trip or two trying out other places. We plan to do Aulani for our 15th anniversary.

Can’t decide which I am but I know what I wish I was…
A won the lottery own a fixed guaranteed week at every resort type of DVC Member .
Except one problem Every week would have to include New Years Eve or Halloween or Fourth of July ….

We are best described as 4) The Flip-Flopper.

We largely vacation at the Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa because of two fixed weeks, one in September and the other in December. However, because we visit three or four times per year, we flip-flop, when we can, between Disney's Beach Club Villas and the Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa.

This May marks 12-years of DVC ownership for us and we do have a predictable routine. To date, we have not stayed at Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas - Kidani Village, Aulani, Boulder Ridge Villas, Copper Creek Villas, Grand Californian Hotel & Spa, Hilton Head Island Resort, or Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa. We visited Disney's Polynesian Villas and Bungalows once, in May 2015, shortly after it opened. Two trips have been made to Disney's BoardWalk Villas, Old Key West Resort, and Vero Beach Resort. We have had three Riviera Resort bookings because it is easy to book a 2-bedroom preferred view villa for the whole family. Four trips were enjoyed at Bay Lake Tower, three in one-bedroom lake view villas because they were easy to book. I lost count with Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas - Jambo House, Beach Club Villas, and Grand Floridian Resort & Spa.

I was a Ride or Die for Animal Kingdom Villas - Jambo House when I first became a member because I loved the resort and could not imaging staying anywhere else. Our last stay was in 2016 and we have not been back since because our assigned studios were always excessively worn and the sleeper sofas, to us, are painful. Depending on the outcome of the upcoming renovation and, specifically, if Animal Kingdom Villas gets a Boulder Ridge-style upgrade, we may return to flip-flopping between Disney's Animal Kingdom Villas - Jambo House and the Villas at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa, our home resorts.

Well, there are probably more, but these are a few that I can think of

Sorry had to add one to your list.... Hope you don't mind.

9) West Coast is Best Coast

You are the "special" unicorn of DVC owners. You love sneaking into discussions on Disboards or Facebook groups where they are arguing which is the best DVC resort and between the posts of how close BWV, BCV, or BLT is to the parks you remind them that you can "literally" throw corn dogs from inside the park to your hungry family on your balcony at VGC. Dues and TOT don't scare you, you love owning at VDH knowing it's the OG Mouse House, Original Disney Resort and man does it have its charm. There is only room for one Grand in your portfolio, and it's in California.

We are also a mix of -

1) The Ride or Die
2) The Diversification strategist

Hope to be 7) The Aloha Spirit someday

Last edited:
As I have been reading many threads over the past few years, I have noticed that there are so many diverse approaches to ownership. The beautiful thing is that they all fit well for the people that use them. Most espouse the "Buy where you want to stay" mantra, but I don't necessarily subscribe to that because I am in a different group. So, what type of owner are you? Here are some that I've noticed. Most are probably a mix of these:

1) The Ride or Die

This is the "Buy where you want to stay - extreme version". This ownership type will only book the same accommodation, year after year, and has no desire to branch out (or they are a RIV, VDH, or CFW resale owner and can't branch out)...

This is the ownership type that has the goal of staying at every DVC property and enjoys changing each trip up every time they go. They may have favorites, but trying something different each trip keeps things fresh...

3) The Value Investor

This is the ownership type that will look for whatever property will stretch those points out the farthest! Typically stays Sunday to Thursday. From HHI stays in January to AKV Value studios (if you can get them) to OKW 1 and 2 bedrooms to SSR, BLT, and AKV Standard View rooms to June stays at Aulani. They have mastered the skill of using the regular Disney Bus system as an internal bus setup at SSR (BTW, this is invaluable, if you don't know how to do this your SSR stay will be much worse) to get off at Congress Park to make your walk to Gideon's shorter and they know about the Gurgling Suitcase...

4) The Flip-Flopper

Sort of a multiple ride or die. This owner switches between only a few properties (cough, BWV and BCV, cough)...

5) The Renter

This is the owner that DVC is trying to get the reins on. Makes speculative bookings and rents them out...

6) The Opportunist

This ownership type logs into their DVC account like reading the morning paper. Have an AP and a few days off next month? Let's see what's available...

7) The Aloha Spirit

This owner has discovered Aulani and what a great deal it is to use their DVC points at that awesome resort. Then they discover the Kapolei Costco, then Royal Kona Vanilla Macadamia Nut coffee, then Malasadas, then Marusame Udon, then Foodland Poke (IYKYK). The rest is history...

8) The Beachcomber

This owner has probably owned at HHI or VB for a long time and can snag one of those next to impossible Summer reservations at HHI or one of the Beach Cottages at VB. They understand the allure of the Green Cabin Room. Probably not fans of the dues, though...

Well, there are probably more, but these are a few that I can think of, and I thought it a fun exercise. We are probably a mix of types 2, 3, and 7 ourselves.
#1. Definitely 1. Extremely 1. Thought it over, still 1.

I am mainly a 2. We have owned at OKW and BCV for more than 25 years.

We have also stayed at AKL Jambo, VGF, Poly, BLT, VWL, SSR, BWV and Vero.

Just have to do Aulani, HH, VGC and VDH now.

I’m a combo of 2 and 3. Were a family of 7 so if we all go it’s SSR where i own for the best 2 room points but when I take smaller trips with a kid or one of my sisters it’s trying something different in a studio. I’m trying to stay at least one night at every resort.

As I have been reading many threads over the past few years, I have noticed that there are so many diverse approaches to ownership. The beautiful thing is that they all fit well for the people that use them. Most espouse the "Buy where you want to stay" mantra, but I don't necessarily subscribe to that because I am in a different group. So, what type of owner are you? Here are some that I've noticed. Most are probably a mix of these:

1) The Ride or Die

This is the "Buy where you want to stay - extreme version". This ownership type will only book the same accommodation, year after year, and has no desire to branch out (or they are a RIV, VDH, or CFW resale owner and can't branch out)...

This is the ownership type that has the goal of staying at every DVC property and enjoys changing each trip up every time they go. They may have favorites, but trying something different each trip keeps things fresh...

3) The Value Investor

This is the ownership type that will look for whatever property will stretch those points out the farthest! Typically stays Sunday to Thursday. From HHI stays in January to AKV Value studios (if you can get them) to OKW 1 and 2 bedrooms to SSR, BLT, and AKV Standard View rooms to June stays at Aulani. They have mastered the skill of using the regular Disney Bus system as an internal bus setup at SSR (BTW, this is invaluable, if you don't know how to do this your SSR stay will be much worse) to get off at Congress Park to make your walk to Gideon's shorter and they know about the Gurgling Suitcase...

4) The Flip-Flopper

Sort of a multiple ride or die. This owner switches between only a few properties (cough, BWV and BCV, cough)...

5) The Renter

This is the owner that DVC is trying to get the reins on. Makes speculative bookings and rents them out...

6) The Opportunist

This ownership type logs into their DVC account like reading the morning paper. Have an AP and a few days off next month? Let's see what's available...

7) The Aloha Spirit

This owner has discovered Aulani and what a great deal it is to use their DVC points at that awesome resort. Then they discover the Kapolei Costco, then Royal Kona Vanilla Macadamia Nut coffee, then Malasadas, then Marusame Udon, then Foodland Poke (IYKYK). The rest is history...

8) The Beachcomber

This owner has probably owned at HHI or VB for a long time and can snag one of those next to impossible Summer reservations at HHI or one of the Beach Cottages at VB. They understand the allure of the Green Cabin Room. Probably not fans of the dues, though...

Well, there are probably more, but these are a few that I can think of, and I thought it a fun exercise. We are probably a mix of types 2, 3, and 7 ourselves.
We're new and still haven't had our first stay booked with points yet (coming up in Sep). For a couple years initially we might fall under 2 but at the end of the day we're totally 6. All of our contracts are resale so far.

I would say a combination of 1 and 2.
All of our points are at RIV, some direct and some resale, so we have figured out a strategy in which we stay at RIV every-other-year, and then stay another WDW property, Aulani, or a cruise on the "in-between" years.

By banking our restricted resale points, and borrowing unrestricted direct points, this seems to be the best way to maximize our points for both.

This is a great/fun question!
We're a combination of 1 and 4. We like being near the Parks. We own at BLT (2 contracts) and SSR. SSR was an uneducated add for us. I keep considering selling but want to own near EPCOT/HS and BCV/BWV are expiring too soon. Riviera doesn't do it for us.

1) The Ride or Die

3) The Value Investor

4) The Flip-Flopper

5) The Renter

6) The Opportunist

7) The Aloha Spirit

8) The Beachcomber

Thought that we would be 1 and 3. Initially bought 150 points direct at GF bc we love the resort. Quickly did the math, realized that we would need more points to vacation like we wanted to and bought more points before the ink was dry.

Our first DVC trip was a hodgepodge of 5 resorts bc we already were going so I cancelled our hotel stay and just booked whatever I could find. Thus bringing about the second realization that there were other really nice non-GF DVC resorts. And started buying resale contracts.

We now own at SSR, OKW, BC, BLT & GF; and clearly a solid #2.

I think we're #4, the flip-flopper, but with a strong lean toward #1.
We have 1 contract, fairly large, bought in that recession time when points were crazy low, have never considered adding more points.
We bought where we wanted to stay, and have used the points there, BWV, the majority of trips, but also sometimes do split stays elsewhere, and had a few trips where complete stays were elsewhere. I do like trying out other resorts.....
We've never rented out, and don't plan to. We just use up our points every year, or sometimes bank/borrow.

I stay where I own and have no desire to stay at any other current resorts, although I will if availability necessitates it.

Hmmm… combo of 2 and 8. For work reasons we HAVE to travel in August, so we pair a strenuous WDW stay at whichever resort takes our fancy with some loungey beach time at HHI. I do want to stay at Aulani sooner rather than later, though…

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter