• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How Early and Where to Stake Out Fireworks Spot

cmpeter

DIS Veteran
I'd really like to take the time to stake out a great spot for the fireworks on our trip the end of this month. Normally my kids aren't willing to participate in staking out a spot. But, this trip will just be me and my husband. I know there is a chance they can be cancelled. But, want to give it a shot.

How early would you stake out a spot and where would you try and sit? We'd like to see the castle projections. Thanks!

I watched it on the front of small world last night. Plenty of room. Got a seat about 20 min prior to start time. You get probably 85-90% of the experience compared to Main Street without any of the hassles. You miss any fireworks launched from the castle and buzz/up characters flying through the sky.

Thanks. I do want to catch the whole thing..front and center of the castle.

Hmmmm.....good question! When we've staked out front-and-center first row, we've been there at like 6 pm and there were already people getting ready to stake out. Keep in mind they also change their policies without a rhythm, too. It's been that they've permitted people to sit on the bricks on the "sidewalk", where you had to remain sitting and street had to stand. Last time, they had everyone stay on the street and the bricks remained a walkway. Everyone had to stand, which was a bummer for the wheelchair and kids in the crowd who thought we were permitted to sit. I would ask around to several CM's and get a read for what others are doing so you aren't on the bricks when they're actually planning to keep it empty.

Anyway, I would get to the area between 6 pm - 7 pm for the 9:25(?) show for the best chance of a good spot in front of the castle. Also bring something to sit on to kind of keep your space, otherwise people will move in close.

Well, for the last weekend of the 60th anniversary fireworks, we staked out a spot a good two+ hours prior to fireworks on Friday night. An hour before fireworks, they made everyone stand, which wasn't particularly fun, especially for my JUST over four-feet DD, whose eyes were just about butt level.

I'd really like to take the time to stake out a great spot for the fireworks on our trip the end of this month. Normally my kids aren't willing to participate in staking out a spot. But, this trip will just be me and my husband. I know there is a chance they can be cancelled. But, want to give it a shot.

How early would you stake out a spot and where would you try and sit? We'd like to see the castle projections. Thanks!

We waited two hours at the beginning of June for the current fireworks show to get a spot right in front of the castle. When we got there, a decent number of people were already staking out spots and 30 minutes later it was very crowded.

Here is a picture of the spot we got two hours out from the show.

IMG_0953.jpg

The area in front of the castle books up 2-3 hours in advance of the show.

I prefer the view from partly down Main Street, honestly.

Just in case the castle spots don't work out, I agree wtih Skyegirl about the view from halfway down Main Street. So far this summer, that is our first choice view. We were able to walk right up to spots in the middle of Main Street a few minutes before the show on a Sunday night a few weeks ago -- great view of the projections and good view of the castle.

Thanks guys! We are there for four days...so we can try a few of these recommendations!

On Wednesday they were allowing guests to sit on the "street". We wandered by after the Pixar Play Parade ended (so probably around 6:30 pm) and the front row (so those right up against the slight curb on the Castle side of the street) was already filled. So I would echo the advice to get there anywhere from 3 to 2 hours before the start of fireworks if you want a good view of the castle.

When we walked over from DCA we also saw tons of people sitting in the middle of Main St. You might want to ask a CM when those spots open up. It was a huge pain trying to walk through with my kids so I would assume they wouldn’t let people sit there for hours beforehand...but I could be wrong. Might be easier than the spots closer to the castle.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter