• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

How early do I REALLY have to arrive at the airport?

cruisnfamily

DIS Veteran
We've flown twice since 9/11 and both times arrived at the airport 2 hours early per the recommendation. Both times we flew through security and found ourselves with 1hr45minutes to kill in the airport. We were planning to go back to the standard 1 hour early this trip (leaving Monday 3/24) but now with the terror alert on high and impending war, I wonder what amount of time to allow.

Has anyone flown recently? Have you flown out of Tampa, FL or Buffalo, NY?

We have a 9:30 am flight on Mon 3/24 and we live 1 hr from the airport. Trying to gauge what time to drag 3 sleepy kids out of bed and head to the airport. Do you think that leaving at 7am which would put our arrival at the airport at 8am would be enough time. That would give us 1 1/2 hrs.

Thanks for your input!

It is almost impossible to tell how long it will take. We have taken 6 flights in the last 5 months and the security lines have been from no time to 45minutes+ plus wait. At each airport it can vary based on the terminal/carrier.

While I don't think you will encounter any extra security once in the terminal, some airports put extra security in place prior to reaching the terminal. The last time we went to higher alert, PBI was checking car trunks prior to reaching the terminal.

I agree that getting kids to the airport early is a real pain, it sure beats the alternative, missing the flight. We have sat around many an airport with and hour and a half to kill. I think at this point my children accept this as part of flying and just deal with it. Have a great trip!!!!

The most reasonable thing to do is call your airport or get on its website. Many airlines have those times quoted on their websites too

I agree, either call or visit the website. Different airports will tell you different times. I would rather be early and wait around compared to being pushed for time and stuck in line fearing we might miss our flight. Last year we were a good hour early so I took my toddlers into a few shops, walked around then let them watch the airplanes come in. No problems at all.

I'm another one that would rather be early than mis the flight. last time month we arrived at PHL two hours early and there was no checkin line--but by the time we got done with the luggage screen there was a faily long one--it was only a ten minute diference, but the last people in that line probably waited a good 40 minutes in line to check in.

Anne

In our post 9/11 flying, I didn't find the airline sites to be very useful, and on the phone they would only give me generic recommendations.
I am a compulsive planner, and as such, I would rather be way early than take the risk of missing my flight. We use the "down time" at the airport to do relaxing things such as having a snack or latte, reading, playing handheld games, or listening to CDs. To avoid the crowds, we check in at the baggage check-in area, which means we don't have to be at the gate till boarding. Then we either sit in the food court or an unused gate so we can totally relax. I'd rather spend a longer chill-out time at airport than a shorter nail-biting rush!
But DON'T plan an early flight home now that we are on orange alert. Last time that happened was during our Feb. Wonder cruise, and it took us an hour to get off the ship.
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

I almost missed a flight last month by not allowing enough time. I went on a 1 day business trip, so I didn't have any luggage. I thought arriving at the airport about an hour or so before would be plenty of time with no luggage. I left the house at 6:00am for a 7:45am flight. Usually about 30 min to the airport, it took about 45 min because the roads were a little icy and traffic was slow. Got there about 6:45am. Everyone had the bright idea of parking inside the garage at the terminal so their car would not be outside in the snow, despite costing $16 per day, so it took time to find a space. Then line at the e-ticket kiosk for carry-on only was about 8 people long. The guy in front of me couldn't get his to work. That was the week of the major snow storm and alot of people were bumped from flights the day before and were catching early flights out that morning so security was long. Had to take my shoes off and get them scanned. At PIT, you have to take a train over to the gates, so it's not a quick dash to the gate. I got to the gate with about 10 or 15 minutes to spare, walked right on the plane. That was too close! :eek:

I'd also rather get there early than late, even if it means entertaining the kids.

On our most recent flight down to FLorida our plane was delayed getting in. We though it was fine to relax so mom & my DS went for a walk. Suddenly, our gate was changed! I was anxious, because I was left with all the stuff & had no idea where they were! The last remaining Continental person offered to page them or to get me assistance (I'm pregnant). As she started paging them, they magically appeared.

The new gate turned out to be just about as far away as possible! Luckily we got a ride over there, or it would have taken us a good 20 minutes to walk with the stuff & a 2 year old. We wouldn't have missed the flight, but it would have been tense. I think there was also a plane change, because they were calling people up & switching them around. My mom had to verify that she was with us.

Is there a chance that you could stay overnight closer to the airport? We've done that before, and then you don't have to drag the munchkins kicking and screaming from having to get up so early :eek:

I'm another "rather be early and have time to kill" traveler; you just never know what will happen at the airport.

Have a great trip whatever you decide :cool:

Songbert,
To expand on your comment, when we used to fly out on the morning of our cruises, we would take the earliest flight possible and stay near O'Hare by getting a hotel via Priceline or Hotwire. It's been a long time since we've done it, but we always ended up with the Candlewood Suites at an extremely low rate. I would think Priceline should have places available by most major airports (we use them for MCO area hotels now, since we fly in the night before).
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

Very recently returned from flying to Florida...waits were minimal. I found the only reason the security line to the gate was slow at one airport, they do not have enough security personnel, machines etc. to get you through quickly for the amount of people that happened to be trying to get to their gates that morning. I've found that about an hour or so ahead of scheduled departure time is enough to get all said and done. That was even with them doing the hazardous residue test with the little white pad on our luggage, they did that while we waited in line to check the bags and get boarding passes. I'm one for using on-line check in, but we were not able to access a computer on the return leg of our trip.

Sidewalk check in was walk up, walk away in less than 5 minutes also. Whatever floats one boat I guess, but for us an hour to hour and a half has been plenty of time.

DH has flown to BUF quite a few times in the past year. He says that BUF is a great airport because it is small, and therefore lines aren't as long and usually goes right through checkin and security. HOWEVER, he has waited at BUF security for over 1 hour, usually early in the morning. So I would say if you are flying at busy times generally 6-10am, and 4-7pm I would allow the time.

As others suggested, maybe get a hotel by the airport. We live about an hour from our airport and usually leave the night before our flight and spend the night in a hotel.
We find a hotel where we can leave our car and they shuttle us to the airport (for free). The savings in airport parking fees usually pays for the hotel!!!
This also forces my kids to be all packed the night before (for those who have kids old enough who insist on doing their own packing!!).
Have a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter