How far would you drive?

txdznydude

I'm going to Disney World!
What's the farthest anyone has driven to get to Disney World? I live in Fort Worth, Texas and am considering a 1200+ mile drive. Am I out of my mind? I'll have one other driver with me so the two of us can swap out. I'm also unsure if I should attempt to drive it non-stop or split it and spend the night in New Orleans.
All input is greatly appeciated!:confused:

Do it! :) I live about 20min south of Fort Worth! We drove it just this past Dec/Jan! (family of 5- three kids aged 8, 5, and 2)

It only took us about 20hrs (actually just under that) using the mapquest directions even with frequent stops for diaper changes, eating, potty breaks for the 5yr old that can't hold it very long (LOL), etc. Mapquest says 20hrs- but if you drive the speed limit -even with stops it takes about that much time.

We did not stop on the way although stopping is not a bad idea if you stop somewhere you would enjoy. I'm just not of the mind to stop JUST to sleep in a hotel and take off again because I'm a night person- so we just switched driving back and forth with me driving at night and everyone else sleeping when I drove (me napping when I wasn't driving in the daylight hours)

If you have a driver to switch with and one of you doesn't mind driving night hours (ie: either used to staying up really late or gets lots of rest to prepare for it so they aren't trying to doze while driving all night!!! or making sure to sleep while the other one is driving) you should be fine driving nonstop. If we can do it with our 3 youngun's... anyone can. LOL

We live in Central Ohio and drive everytime. Its about 18hrs. We usually leave early the 1st morning-5am or 6am and drive 13-14hrs. the first day. Then 2nd day we only have about 3-4hrs. until we get to Disney. Its a long ride but I guess when we're going to the happiest place on earth its worth it,right?

Originally posted by txdznydude
What's the farthest anyone has driven to get to Disney World?

1 hour to the nearest airport(which is Pittsburgh or Cleveland).To far for us.Maybe when we are retired and have unlimited time, than we will consider it.:D

We drive from Cleveland, Ohio. We've both driven straight through and also stopped for the night. I find I like to arrive at vacation refreshed and early in the day so we now spend the night (usually somewhere around Savannah, GA). Although, this time, if we can find low airfare, we may fly.

Pam

We have driven twice from Kansas. I am really trying to talk my DH into flying this summer though. It is a nice drive but a long one.

I would do it. My family and I are currently planning our 2005 vacation planning on driving from Bflo.(Lancaster), NY area to Disneyland for the Anniversary of DisneyLand, a trip much longer and many others I know are planning also.
Your trip could possibly be that once in a lifetime experience and if you have two drivers, it would be great.
I have driven coast to coast several times and although long, it is possible and can be made enjoyable and educating with stops on the way.
We drive to DisneyWorld every year and it is always exciting.
I know you are somewhat further but it is worth it. Go and enjoy yourselves!
Drive safe and don't push yourselves.
Have a great time!!!

Hi!

We drive twice a year and it's 1,000 miles. My suggestion is to plan on driving 10 to 12 hours per day. We usually make it from Maryland down to South Carolina and our goal is Savannah, GA. WDW is 5 hours from Savannah.

One trip, my hubby decided to bonzai it and we almost went under a truck when he started falling asleep at the wheel. Thank God I woke up and saw what was happening. After that trip, he has never wanted to drive straight through. Even with two drivers switching off, it's good to get a break and stretch. I'd take a rest stop in N'awlins anytime!

Suzanne

Hi Goofy52 and anyone else who knows the answer to this question...! We are driving from Columbus for the first time this summer. Mapquest gave me two different directions, one taking 75 and the other 77. It says that taking 77 is faster (by an hour and by almost 60 miles) although a couple people told me 75 is. Which way do you drive? Where do you stop for the night?

Do you have kids? We have 2 girls, 9 & 11... just wondering how they'll like the long ride... any suggestions is great.

Thanks!

We drive 24 hours from Toronto, Canada and have done it twice in the last year. Way cheaper than flying. We do stop though for the night and arrive early afternoon in Orlando.

We drive down the I75 which we love because it's easy and also because there's a great book by Dave Hunter which lists all the exits and what's at each exit in terms of food, lodging and gas. He also gives interesting tidbits about the area you're driving through as well. The book is called Along the I-75 or at least I think that's the name and is well worth the money if you're driving down I75.

Cdnmickeylover

We drive 16 + 1/2 hours from Pittsburgh. The first day we usually drive 12 hours (plus stops) and then on the second day we only have 4 + 1/2 hours to go. We get into Disney around noon. We then have time to shop at Downtown Disney, check in at the hotel, have a nice dinner at one of the other resorts, and rest up for the next day. Good luck!

You should drive. That way, when you get home from the trip, you will swear you'll never put yourself through that again, and you'll look forward to flying. Then you'll agonize through fare anxiety, missed connections and car rental hassles, and you'll look forward to driving again. Works for me every time.

We drive with a small camper from SW Michigan (I think about 1150 miles each way). When I was "young" (early 20's), we did the straight through driving and were zombies once we got there.

Now we get on the road about 4:00 am (everything packed and loaded the night before, even the cooler) and drive to southern GA before stopping. It's early enough that we can unwind and order a pizza ... watch a little TV. Next day we have about a 3-4 hr drive to Ft Wilderness.

On the way back we stop south of Louisville, KY because my husband wants to watch the final 4 on TV (always seems to be that Saturday).

I actually enjoy the road trip and having my own car once I'm there. Even though I am anxious to arrive, it does seem to be a lot safer and less tiring to plan on the overnight stop.

From NH it is somewhere around 1,500 miles (I always know the mileage down to the 10th upon arrival, but then block it out of my mind!) My parents and/or Grandparents have been snowbirds for most of my life, so I have made the trip to FL at least 20 times driving, once even without DH, with the kids who were 9 and 12 at the time. Until recent years, driving was the only affordable option for our family of 4. But we almost always make a stop overnight.

We drove straight through with 4 drivers in a Dodge Ram van last summer, and everyone was able to get sleep, so that wasn't bad. We were vegetables the first day in FL, however.

The only time we ever drove straight through with only 2 was Dec. of '01, and we swore we'd never do it again. We left OKW at 9:00 a.m. on a Friday and got home to Central NH at 8:00 a.m. Saturday. Driving through NYC around 4:00 a.m (give or take) was a blast... only a few cars on the road! But by the last 2 hours of the trip we were switching every 30 minutes or so, and were quite concerned about our competence. Nope, never again.

And BTW, next week we are flying - SWA out of Manchester, 3 hour flight non-stop just can't be beat!

:bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter